Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2015, 09:15 PM   #43

I for one appreciate the interaction on the forum with a manufacturer rep. Thanks for the help. Like I said I like my 7710 after the firmware update. We leave Sunday on a trip son I better get my updates done.
phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2015, 05:20 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil57 View Post
I for one appreciate the interaction on the forum with a manufacturer rep. Thanks for the help. Like I said I like my 7710 after the firmware update. We leave Sunday on a trip son I better get my updates done.
X2! I appreciate that they want to address this. Shared my settings with them and will help them diagnose the problem. If I stick with the GPS route, no problem, seems to be when I force my own route it for whatever reason refuses to come up with the same.

Had a good example yesterday, captured all I could about it.

L.
Old 07-03-2015, 05:51 AM   #45

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RandMcSam,

One of the biggest issues I find with my 7720 is that it will send you all over NYC to avoid the George Washington Bridge. The preferred route for trucks and propane carrying vehicles is across the upper level of the bridge. There is a glaring error in the RM gps to avoid that at the risk of sending you through the tunnels or across the Veranzano up the Brooklyn Queens Expwy and through the side streets of Brooklyn (definitely a tougher route to drive). You can see this by choosing any destination on Long Island from NJ and west as well as vice versa. Living on LI, I am very accustomed to this issue, but I feel that drivers from out of the area trying to get onto LI, will definitely be put at risk. This issue has been ongoing for too long now, and it has existed in all RM Gps's. If I use other competing gps's, I don't see this issue specifically (Copilot). This needs to be addressed. TIA
Cbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 11:41 AM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
X3!!! Wish all our sponsors would participate like that!

And for the general membership...don't forget to use the "THANKS" button on any post you like.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:10 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandMcSam View Post
Hi

I'm happy to answer any questions you folks may have.

Thanks!
I have a TND 720 I used when I drove a truck. I noticed the last big update added a "Bus". After entering my motor home specs, it seems to work great for navigation, just obviously no "RV" poi's.
cgbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:02 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
I always have my DW follow along with her iPad to make sure my RM 7720 does not send me down someplace I don't want to be. Many GPS devices use the same map supplier but different programs to decide the route depending on your profile so many times it is the basic map load that is wrong so changing GPS manufacturers gain you little unless you confirm that the new GPS uses a different map supplier. In the end you may not be improving your situation much by changing GPS manufacturers.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 03:03 PM   #49

Commercial Member

Quote:
RandMcSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 03:10 PM   #50

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbones View Post
RandMcSam,

One of the biggest issues I find with my 7720 is that it will send you all over NYC to avoid the George Washington Bridge. The preferred route for trucks and propane carrying vehicles is across the upper level of the bridge. There is a glaring error in the RM gps to avoid that at the risk of sending you through the tunnels or across the Veranzano up the Brooklyn Queens Expwy and through the side streets of Brooklyn (definitely a tougher route to drive). You can see this by choosing any destination on Long Island from NJ and west as well as vice versa. Living on LI, I am very accustomed to this issue, but I feel that drivers from out of the area trying to get onto LI, will definitely be put at risk. This issue has been ongoing for too long now, and it has existed in all RM Gps's. If I use other competing gps's, I don't see this issue specifically (Copilot). This needs to be addressed. TIA
Hi,

Thank you for sharing this. We are aware of the incorrect RV restricted flag on the upper level of the GW Bridge. This will be corrected in our next map update.

Thanks.
Old 07-08-2015, 01:46 PM   #51

I had a simullar experience on a route last weekend. Traveling from Shelby, NC to Marion NC and my 7730 didn't route me the shorter route, Rt226.

I took that route, and over and over again for nearly 50 miles the GPS tried everything to re route me.

I contacted Rand in this thread, shared my settings. Tuesday I recieved a response, their maps had a trailer limition on rt 266, I had a trailer, therefore it kept trying to get me off the trailer restricted road. They are correcting their maps in a future version. There are no restrictions on that section of 226.

North where it crosses the blue ridge, there are restrictions.

L.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:33 AM   #52

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
I do not want to disable "U" turns, I do not want the GPS to tell me to make a "U" turn when I am traveling 65 MPH on I95 traveling in the correct direction! It warns me of curves when there are none for miles. This past weekend I was traveling on US 32 west from Winchester, OH to Newtown, OH and the RM kept wanting me to turn left off of US 32, why, I have no idea, it was a straight shot on 32 to Newtown! This happens from time to time and in most cases I am smart enough to ignor the RM but some times I find myself going down a road I do not feel comfortable driving on, through the residential neighborhoods with no place to turn around without unhook in the tow car.

I could go on and on but I think you get the idea. Garmin may not be any better but I will give it a try when this RM no longer works. No more RM for me!

Hello,

I have created a ticket for the GIS team to evaluate the route taken from Winchester, OH to Newtown, OH by means of US-32. After evaluation and testing, they were unable to prompted for a turn off of US-32. GIS reports that we do not have an height, weight, length, etc. restrictions between Winchester and Newtown. We will continue to test this route. That being said it is possible that a preference on the device may have caused the router to provide you a route that would direct you to exit US-32. This can be caused by various preference modifications, such as Avoid Freeways, Allow All and Prefer Freeways. It also may have been caused due to a GPS interference or if a satellite maintenance/outage occurred in that area at that time. If further assistance is needed with this matter, please reach me and I will be able to connect you with a technician who can assist you.

Thank you,
Rand McSam
Old 07-16-2015, 06:58 AM   #53

We have had similar experiences with our RM. It will give us a curve warning when there are no curves. This happened over the 4th on I-86/NY17.

My wife thinks I'm nuts using both my RM and my Garmin, but I don't have 100% trust in either.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:42 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
We have had similar experiences with our RM. It will give us a curve warning when there are no curves. This happened over the 4th on I-86/NY17.

My wife thinks I'm nuts using both my RM and my Garmin, but I don't have 100% trust in either.
All the time, or it will tell me right curve and it is left or steep grade ahead when it is a hill. I know RM monitors this site and is here to protect the brand but telling us that they can't duplicate is like telling the user we are full of it. These small problems are so numerous it is difficult to report them all.

Three days ago I was traveling to Knotts Island, NC following the RM directions which took me over a bridge rated for 13 tons (Rt 165 @ Albemarle and Chesapeake Canal) and I have my weight profile set at 15 tons. There was no place to turn around so I held my breath and drove over. I purchased the RM because it is supposed to keep me from running under too low of a bridge or over a bridge that is not rated for my weight. We are talking about trust...I do not trust RM!
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 08:24 AM   #55

Tiffin Owners Club
Shortest Distance - not so good!

While traveling in upstate New York, We set the Garmin to our next CG destination – exited the freeway as instructed and followed the directions – a nice wide 2 lane road, became a narrow 2 lane road, then a ONE lane road, then turned into a GRAVEL road – with large trees that made it look like a tunnel – nowhere to turn around so we pushed on with sweat coming down my forehead and the center of my back! Then it intersected with a real nice wide 2 lane road. Took a left and arrived at the CG. I spoke to the woman at the CG – she said “Yep the GPS’ do it every time. If you went one more exit you would have been on the main road.” Valuable lesson learned - NOW we always map it out like we did in old days and use the GPS as a backup and “time to go” “miles to go” tool.
AZCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 08:47 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCactus View Post
While traveling in upstate New York, We set the Garmin to our next CG destination – exited the freeway as instructed and followed the directions – a nice wide 2 lane road, became a narrow 2 lane road, then a ONE lane road, then turned into a GRAVEL road – with large trees that made it look like a tunnel – nowhere to turn around so we pushed on with sweat coming down my forehead and the center of my back! Then it intersected with a real nice wide 2 lane road. Took a left and arrived at the CG. I spoke to the woman at the CG – she said “Yep the GPS’ do it every time. If you went one more exit you would have been on the main road.” Valuable lesson learned - NOW we always map it out like we did in old days and use the GPS as a backup and “time to go” “miles to go” tool.
Shortest or fastest routes make no difference. A GPS designed for RV should NOT take you down such roads but it has happened to me more than once. Even if you have Interstates preferred it will take you down some narrow roads to get you to the interstate. I wish you could deselect county roads or local roads.
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote