Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2014, 07:37 AM   #1

JAJA Prostart Campfire Starter

This is one of those handy little gadgets that you stumble across that is just really awesome. I've used about everything known to man to start a campfire, some good (Matchlite) and some not good (Coleman fuel). Depending on your wood, it's sometimes trouble to get a good fire started. Well, I found this:

Amazon.com: JAJA ProStart Campfire Starter: Sports & Outdoors

It's absolutely awesome. Connect to a propane bottle, light it up and put it under the wood. In a few minutes, you've got a roaring fire everytime.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2014, 07:46 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
I just use a propane torch for about 10 seconds and voila...fire
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:03 AM   #3

I used to do that with white gas too, but not necessarily safely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1609 View Post
I just use a propane torch for about 10 seconds and voila...fire
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:35 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
How? White Gas is liquid and a propane torch is gas....
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:52 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Pour White gas on wood, standback throw a match on the wood whoosh you have a bonfire. As said not necessarily safe. Quit doing it long ago.
Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:16 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
When ALL else fails...

https://www.google.com/search?q=pict...ie%3B500%3B242

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 05:16 AM   #7

I just buy a case of starters at HD/Lowes, and either use a full one if wood is damp, or break one in half. Don't have to worry about extra bottles that I don't use for anything else. But if you're packing bottles anyway...looks like a good way to go.

Jim
Lobstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:33 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I burn scented candles in the S&B and used to throw them out when done but they still had 1/2 of the wax. He said to take out the wax and put it in the fire pit and your fire will burn longer. has anyone else heard of this or is it a old wifestail ?
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:41 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Try this; take a fire log (manufactured) chop a 4 inch piece and put in fire pit then put a small piece of styrene fire starter (buy @ any sports store) Lite the starter put against firelog pile fire wood on and you got an instant fire.

or this;

get all the kindling and fire wood in our firepit with a small bit of paper. Then pour a small amount of gas in a ziplock bag. put the ziplock bag on the top of your kindling and light the paper the flame will melt a small hole in the ziplock and there you go a easy started fire.
pops2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:58 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks I'll try the first one. I don't Carrie gas
tim
Old 04-13-2014, 08:20 PM   #11

Well Gang,
I too have used a gazillion ways to start camp fires. The latest, and I think is the best so far, (at least for us and our camp group), is, take some sawdust, any grade or coursness of saw dust and, put it in say, a quart or any clear, container that has a screw on lid, and, put in about a half a cup to a whole cup of "DIESEL" into that saw dust. Then, screw on the lid and, sit down and relax and "tumble" the canister for a few minutes.

This will ensure that all the little sawdust particles and pieces are saturated with the "mixture". Now, all you have to do when starting your camp fire is, put some smaller kindling on the bottom, then, open your container of sawdust and sprinkle it about on the kindling. Then, load some larger pieces of wood etc. on the top of that.

Now, just use a stick match or, one of those little propane pensile type little torches and, light your little piles of sawdust. They take off immediately but, not in the fierceness of a gasoline or, white gas or, any other more flammable liquid used for that purpose. And, the diesel takes longer to burn than gas and, it also gets the sawdust going which, really accentuates the starting of the kindling and the rest of the fire.

It's very safe to have and store this mixture too. I've carried that little see-through container, for a couple of years now and, it only takes a small amount to get a good fire going, every time.

The really fun part is, people ask, especially guys, "What is that stuff" because it sure get's things going fast. I open the lid and tell them do smell it. You know what's amazing, every one in the camp group drives a diesel pusher and, they cannot disseminate what that odor is. I crack up, each time. I give them quite a bit of time to try and figure it out. Many come up with Kerosene, gas, white gas, paint thinner, and more but, like stated, they all drive diesel rigs but cannot associate it with the saw dust.

It works, and works well, and is pretty darn safe.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 05:48 AM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Sounds like a winner to me Thanks, The Father in law has a wood shop at his residents and will ask him to bring me some dust.
Tim
Old 04-14-2014, 07:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
Sounds like a winner to me Thanks, The Father in law has a wood shop at his residents and will ask him to bring me some dust.
Tim
spritz,
It's a good starter. But, like I stated, I use a container, that's actually a tad larger than a quart. I think the wife bought it at a container store. It's a stout, see through container with a lid about 4" in diameter. I fill the container about almost full of sawdust. Then, I add the diesel. I tumble it for a while and then, maybe add a tad more diesel. Tumble some more 'till I think it's good enough. Don't make it "Mud". Just put in enough to get the job done after tumbling. The sawdust should still be able to "flake" or be poured out of the container, almost naturally, not in big, wet clumps.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:33 AM   #14

A cotton ball dipped in Vaseline will burn several minutes. Cheap, fast, & easy.
deanawo is offline   Reply With Quote