Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2011, 08:55 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Talking JB Weld ??

Hi all,

Our MH has a leak that I'm thinking of fixing with JB Weld "waterweld", and I thought it would be nice to hear some other folks opinions.

The leak is with the black tank flush system. Clear water is leaking, not the dirty stuff. On top of the tank is a elbow with a hose attached to the elbow. The hose snakes its way to the passenger side and connects to the inlet for a hose to flush the tank. When I attached a hose to flush it started leaking. A gentle push on the hose stopped the leak to a trickle. Light pressure would stop the leak all together, so there's very little back pressure. I know what the proper way would be with a new pex compression fitting, but because it's not under a lot of pressure, I think some sort of cold weld compound will work fine. I posted the same question on another forum and got some good answers, I thought I'd do the same here and see what you fine folks opinions are.

THANKS in advance for your thoughts, ideas, suggestions.
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2011, 09:15 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: KM Parks in Western Washington and Yuma,Az for the Winter
POR has a fantastic compound. It saved me about 3K when the oil pan started leaking on one of the engines in my boat.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:47 PM   #3
paz

Wolfpack Fan,

JB Waterweld saved me about $40 for the vacuum breaker on the toilet. The stuff is fantastic, especially if there's very little pressure. The only problem would be trying to weld polyethylene, which is what PEX tubing is made from, but I don't know about the fittings - some are metal.

In your case, you have very little to loose except $5 or $6 for the JB Weld. You have low back pressure, the water hose isn't connected all the time, and you can see where it's leaking, which means nothing is going to get flooded. If it doesn't hold, then replace the fitting.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:11 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Is the fitting ABS plastic or PVC? ABS can be welded, which often needs nothing more than a soldering iron. Or there is a special ABS cement for it.

There are also PVC plumbing repair epoxys. I would use that rather than JB.

How to Stop a Leak in PVC | eHow.com
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:25 AM   #5

Gary makes a good point. What do you do if the JBWeld doesn't hold? How do you remove it so something else may be used?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:10 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If it's where you can wrap it.. Rescue tape (Streatchy silicon tape) or even good vinyl electrical tape.. GOOP is another good product but don't know how well it sticks to PEX. JB-Weld is a bit much for this task.

Make sure it's very dry before fixing.

Finally... Given the pressure.. You might try a straight barbed fitting and a copule of standard hose clamps.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:46 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Seems to me that if you know the proper way to repair it, that is how you should do it!
Old 05-09-2011, 08:54 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckiest Dre View Post
Seems to me that if you know the proper way to repair it, that is how you should do it!

Agreed,

But sometimes you need ta just Git R Dun!

Growing up on a farm, I learned early, how to get the equipment up and running....Sometimes ya gitRdun, then fix it proper when when the job is done. (as long as safety is not compromised)
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:10 AM   #9

academy sports sell some 3M products that can be repaired under water if it was me go with jb weld quick
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:26 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Great ideas folks! Thanks to all of you. I ordered some JB waterweld from ebay.

We'll see how it works on a test part before applying it to the fitting.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythplaced View Post
But sometimes you need ta just Git R Dun!
x2
A few years back I discovered cracks in my Black water tank around the dump valve that were just starting to leak... Yuck..! I posted a call for help on a couple of RV forums. I received similar responses, everything from replace the tank to weld it to seal it. Lots of opinions, lots of prior experience... lots of back and forth.

I cleaned the area around the cracks, used sandpaper to roughen the area and spread two tubes of JB weld around the cracks. It's been 3 years now, no leaks, no additional cracks... I'm a full-timer so it gets lots of use.

Good luck with your project, hope it works for ya.

DataStorm F1/D2/7000 on SatMx5
Liveneasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:20 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liveneasy View Post
x2
A few years back I discovered cracks in my Black water tank around the dump valve that were just starting to leak... Yuck..! I posted a call for help on a couple of RV forums. I received similar responses, everything from replace the tank to weld it to seal it. Lots of opinions, lots of prior experience... lots of back and forth.

I cleaned the area around the cracks, used sandpaper to roughen the area and spread two tubes of JB weld around the cracks. It's been 3 years now, no leaks, no additional cracks... I'm a full-timer so it gets lots of use.

Good luck with your project, hope it works for ya.
Sounds like you did it right. I think probably the most important part of any repair like that, is surface preperation. I won't be able to sand the piece, because it's an elbow, but I figure a good stiff brush and some alcohol ought to get it clean enough for good adhesion for the JB Water Weld. Thanks again friend.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:43 AM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
I don't know about the JB water weld but I repaired a damaged motorcycle engine side case with standard JB weld and it's still holding 8 years later on my buddy's old bike and another friend of mine fixed an engine block that threw a rod out the side of the block on an old 40's Ford tractor and it's still running 15 years later. I'm a firm believer in fixing things properly the first time.................but the few experiences I've had with JB weld have been amazing!
Old 06-13-2011, 11:30 AM   #14

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I like GOOP and if it don't work you can peel it off. I got a old water hose that I use around the house that got a leak. Used some electrical tape and GOOP and it fixed. I have also used JD Weld with good results. Just don't think JD Weld will be easy to remove if you ever have to take it apart.
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote