Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2021, 06:17 PM   #57

I say get this
I got one for each car and RV
Keep them in the glove box
Weego 22s Jump Starter 1700 Peak 300 Cranking Amps Simple and Safe Lithium Ion Water Resistant USA Designed and Engineered https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSAXF03...5DQ93W2R67NVJ3
Rich H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2021, 06:42 PM   #58

Cheap battery cables

Remember: “A cheap tool is an expensive tool”. Meaning, you’ll just have to keep buying them.
GJohns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 06:42 PM   #59

Jump Box or Cables

I has used the same set of jumpers cables for over 30 years. Homemade in my iron working days from welding cable stinger leads and heavy duty clamps. Always thought a jump box would be nice. A Christmas gift from my wife a couple years ago convinced me. She gave me a jump starter made by Halo. At first I laughed at the compact size, but was quickly amazed at the power output. I've jump started everything from riding mowers to my 6.7 Cummins and have used it to recharge a cell phone. She bought me a second one for our motorhome that is also a flashlight. They now offer a model that is an air compressor and jump box. They easily fit in the glovebox or center console.

Cost ranges from $90-$140 on QVC.
mjmahurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 07:04 PM   #60

Jumper cables

Cables are like buggy whips. Out of date
Get the new jump boxes
Good for many uses other than jumping.
Charge cell phones. Power 12 volt dc radios , lights. Use as flash light. Start diesels with the larger units. Priced within the same range as best jumper cables and the length is not a question
dsavage74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 07:18 PM   #61

Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down South View Post
Don't go cheap on jumper cables. I've seen cheap ones that worked poorly to jump a regular vehicle with.
Some years back I built a set of jumper cables as I was disgusted with the cheap Walmart style jumper cables.
The clamps that I used were like $60 a set back then. Since I had a lot of welding cable on hand, I used 1/0 welding cable.
I built those jumper cables more than 10 years ago and still have and use them now.
I did the same thing about 25 years ago and still using them to this day! Always go bigger than you need because one day you will need it!
NHRAfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 07:21 PM   #62

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
I'm with and would welcome an explanation.
You can destroy a alternator if the draw that the battery you are jumping pulls more amperage than the alternator on the jump vehicle can produce. It heats internals up and fries the voltage regulator.
SeaBreazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 07:22 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsavage74 View Post
Get the new jump boxes
Charge cell phones. Power 12 volt dc radios , lights. Use as flash light. Start diesels with the larger units. Priced within the same range as best jumper cables and the length is not a question
While I am well past the Use By Date - I can and have used both. I will never be without a good set of Jumper Cables in the RV. Not just for me but for many others.

From experience a Box does not always work.
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 07:45 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
While I am well past the Use By Date - I can and have used both. I will never be without a good set of Jumper Cables in the RV. Not just for me but for many others.

From experience a Box does not always work.
YEP^^^^^^

Growing up in UT/WY...jumper cables were in just about every vehicle
Ours were made out of welding cable ----Dad was a welder!

Nov 2006 getting ready to go FT I bought a good set.
Still have that set and they have been used ---a few times to jump start my Truck (Factory Stereo was defective ..high amp draw when OFF. Drain the truck batteries in 3 days of none use)
And used Many times to jump start others vehicles

Good set, coils up nicely/stows easily and is there when you need to use. No recharging required!
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 07:56 PM   #65

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down South View Post
Don't go cheap on jumper cables. I've seen cheap ones that worked poorly to jump a regular vehicle with.
Some years back I built a set of jumper cables as I was disgusted with the cheap Walmart style jumper cables.
The clamps that I used were like $60 a set back then. Since I had a lot of welding cable on hand, I used 1/0 welding cable.
I built those jumper cables more than 10 years ago and still have and use them now.
X2 on the welding cables. They make the best jumper cables
Old 01-28-2021, 08:30 PM   #66

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
How about one of those Lithium-ion jump starter packs? Had one for two years now, only put it on the charger every 6 months. It’s a 10,000 mAh unit, jump starts 6.7L diesels easily. Very compact, no tangle, hours of power source for cell phones and electronics. Most are idiot proof in attachment, won’t allow charge if hooked up wrong.
Jchemie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 06:58 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsavage74 View Post
Get the new jump boxes
That is good advice. I guess your Cummins 6.7 diesel has 2 batteries to start it. From experience I know that a single jump box would not start my Ford 6.0L diesel. You will need two. Not cheap but peace of mind. Different scenarios have different solutions. At home, with plenty of time I turn to my charger. On the road where you don't have 8 hours to wait even if you have an VAC source, jump boxes are my choice.
frizfreleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 07:55 AM   #68

What about buying a really good jumper pack?
Latschco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 08:54 AM   #69

Jumper cable prices

I love all the guys that quickly say that you should just buy the most expensive jumper cables. After all 'obviously' they are the best cables and the money isn't coming out of their pocket anyway. The main thing is cable thickness and end clamps quality. For the little you will probably use them the Harbor Freight cables will work just fine!
Greg O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 09:48 AM   #70

I don't choose to go cheap on anything I may have to rely on in an emergency. I feel the same way about tools. Buy the best you can afford.

I purchased the 16' Forney Jumper Battery Cables from Amazon after doing quite a bit of research. They have #2 copper welding wire and 500 amp clamps. The cost was about $170. I also bought a Bucket Boss Cable Bag that neatly stows them. It was about $16.

I have been on the road for over a year, and used them 7 times when my tow car battery was dying, but all the auto stores said the battery was OK when tested. One time the toad was parked in front of the motorhome, facing away from the engine compartment. I was so happy that I had the long cables so I could reach between the MH and car. You can't always count on the two vehicle being able to get close together.

My other thought when I purchased, was if someone else on the road found themselves with a dead battery and needed help, and perhaps it was a diesel needing a lot of amps to kick over, with these cables even my car should be able to deliver.

I have tried and used el cheapo jumpers clamps for cars in the past. One pair, I needed to separate where they had the positive and negative cables attached as one, in order to position the clamps. When I tried to do so, the plastic coating peeled off exposing the bare wires. On another, one of the clamps actually fell off. So no more cheap stuff for me.
captlyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable