Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2021, 07:52 AM   #1

Jumper Cables

According to my wife I am an old man. In my lifetime I have had to use jumper cables maybe 10x, at the very most. I now have a truck with a Cummins 6.7L Diesel engine, and I pull a TT with solar and lithium batteries. I am going to buy new cables, maybe one of the following:
The Spartan 20' 1/0 AWG 0 Gauge 600V solid copper (according to the Spartan website) jumper cable costs $189.00.
Harbor Freight has 20' copper coated aluminum 410 amp 2 gauge cables for about $42.00 and
Amazon has NoOne 0 Gauge 25Feet (0AWG x 25Ft), copper coated aluminum 1000Amp cables for $84.00.

Which to buy? I know the theory; thicker and solid copper is best, but I probably won't use the cables more than 1x per camping season, if that. Would the much cheaper aluminum cables suffice?
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2021, 08:02 AM   #2

I would go cheaper, as like you say you might never need them. I doubt there's any meaningful difference in ability to jump. Maybe even shorter than 25'.

If you ran a roadside assistance business I'd go top shelf.
swavescatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 08:18 AM   #3

Don't go cheap on jumper cables. I've seen cheap ones that worked poorly to jump a regular vehicle with.
Some years back I built a set of jumper cables as I was disgusted with the cheap Walmart style jumper cables.
The clamps that I used were like $60 a set back then. Since I had a lot of welding cable on hand, I used 1/0 welding cable.
I built those jumper cables more than 10 years ago and still have and use them now.
Old 01-24-2021, 08:19 AM   #4

I won't use jumper cables, it's a good way to burn up an alternator. Spend your money on a battery charger if you feel the need to be able to charge a dead battery. My real questions is why do you think you'll need them?
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 08:26 AM   #5

Vehicle Jump Start Kit

I asked a guy who works for a local semi truck tow outfit what he would recommend. He used a heavy duty jump start kit that works fine for semi engines, RVs, or cars. They cost about $160 on Amazon. Search for “ Clore Automotive Jump-N-Carry JNC770B 1700 Peak Amp Premium 12 Volt Jump Starter - Blue w/Cover”

We bought one and have had to use it on the RV a couple times. Supposedly safer than jumper cables, no risk to your alternator, and no waiting for the battery to charge. Just connect, wait a minute, and then start the RV.
raeburn2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 08:30 AM   #6

Wont address jumper cables vs "battery charger [assume the new self-contained battery type vs 120v?]...there are a number of voltage calculators on the internet....not much diff between alum and copper with 2-0 cable, 25 feet, and 100 amps...but over a 1 volt drop with alum #2 vs copper #2....so like 10.75 volts with alum....you don't have a lot of margin when working with only 12volts....drop gets way worse with more than 100 amps????
Like many--have only used jumpers 1-2 times in 20 years of RVing....during the first couple years while learning about tow vehicle bats and house vs chassis bats [smile] and once with an alternator fail on the Cummins--that time, simple jumpers saved my bacon!!!!
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 08:38 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

While I agree that cheaping out on jumper cables is a poor choice, we need to distinguish between "cheap" and "less-expensive". You can get decent quality cables with adequate size wire gauge and reasonable alligator clips without buying the most expensive models.

For a large vehicle with heavy-duty battery(s), I'd set 2 gauge wire as the minimum and 1 or 0 gauge as Best. However, 2 gauge wire should deliver 800 amps over a 20 ft cable. Fine stranded copper wire is more flexible and resistant to kinking at bends than thicker aluminum strands, but for once a year use it may not make much difference. Solid copper alligator clips are better too, but plated ones serve well-enough if not used regularly. You aren't going to wear them out!

Note that 1/0 gauge and 0 gauge are the same size. 1/0 simply means "one zero".

You can get a decent quality 20-25 ft jumper cable these days for $40-$50. Amazon has this one that is 25 ft and 1 gauge wire for $42:

https://smile.amazon.com/Heavy-Boost...dp/B078WLYNFT/

The 2 gauge 20 footer from HF isn't shabby either.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 08:44 AM   #8

Don't forget you probably get what you pay for.
Old 01-24-2021, 08:52 AM   #9

Buy 2 cheap sets and double them up when jumping.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 09:05 AM   #10

Make your own from welding cable leads.
NevadaNick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 10:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
I won't use jumper cables, it's a good way to burn up an alternator. Spend your money on a battery charger if you feel the need to be able to charge a dead battery. My real questions is why do you think you'll need them?
Since he stated that cables might be needed maybe once a year, my guess is that the OP boondocks a lot and wants to have a back up plan in case the truck battery(s) get low for some reason. Maybe wanting to be able to connect the cables to his camper batteries to make the jump?

I certainly would not pay big money for jumper cables. A set with 2 gauge wire and decent clamps would be fine for an occasional jumping.

Too add,,, I believe there are lithium powered jump starters out there that have a high enough capacity to do the job. Might be something to look into although I figure the cost for a good one may be a bit on the high side.
Old 01-24-2021, 11:05 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
So someone stated that jumper cables is a good way to destroy your alternator. I've used cables a dozen times and never had a problem and I've never heard anyone say this. Is this one of those rare occasions (like being struck by lightning) sort of events? How and why does it / can it happen. Just like to understand it better to learn something.
Old 01-24-2021, 11:55 AM   #13

I'm with and would welcome an explanation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadEyePie View Post
So someone stated that jumper cables is a good way to destroy your alternator. I've used cables a dozen times and never had a problem and I've never heard anyone say this. Is this one of those rare occasions (like being struck by lightning) sort of events? How and why does it / can it happen. Just like to understand it better to learn something.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 12:29 PM   #14

Buy a good/expensive set. There are sometimes the savings isn't worth it.
If the less expensive cables won't get you started, were they really a bargain?
Buy the set that will get the job done without fail.
If for some reason you cannot get the truck to jump start, buy a set that won't leave you questioning the cables.
Lantley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable