Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2021, 08:02 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Jumper Cables Won't Fit My Truck

[Didn't want to hijack the other jumper cables thread. Actually I tried but didn't get a response.]

I was perplexed that Amazon's website said that a set of Jumper Cables on their website would not "fit" my truck. I searched the GMC site and found what I think is the reason why. My GMC Sierra 3500 Denali Diesel has two batteries and the procedure says that I should connect the positive cable to the positive post of the main battery (drivers side) but to connect the negative cable to the negative post of the auxiliary battery (passenger side). I am assuming that the jumper cables on the website would not allow the positive and negative clamps to separate and connect 5 feet apart from each other. I don't think I've ever seen a set that would do that. Do I have this wrong?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2021, 08:32 PM   #2

The manual says to jump the battery closest to the starter which is the passenger side, it says nothing about pos on one and neg to the other.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 08:43 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
The manual says to jump the battery closest to the starter which is the passenger side, it says nothing about pos on one and neg to the other.
I don't have the manual at my side. The GMC website published a document,

How To Jump-Start The 2018 GMC Sierra
If the battery (or batteries) in your 2018 GMC Sierra run down, you could use another vehicle and some jumper cables to start your Sierra. The following steps explain how to do so safely.
2018 GMC Sierra: Step-By-Step Jump-Starting Instructions

It's too lengthy to list all the steps but this document does state it as I posted it.
Old 01-24-2021, 08:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadEyePie View Post
I don't have the manual at my side. The GMC website published a document,

How To Jump-Start The 2018 GMC Sierra
If the battery (or batteries) in your 2018 GMC Sierra run down, you could use another vehicle and some jumper cables to start your Sierra. The following steps explain how to do so safely.
2018 GMC Sierra: Step-By-Step Jump-Starting Instructions

It's too lengthy to list all the steps but this document does state it as I posted it.
Post the Link to that ------

The one I just read didn't state that
GM Authority Website
https://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gmc/...-instructions/

Owners Manual states the same as the above link Pg 426
https://my.gmc.com/content/dam/gmown...ers-manual.pdf
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 10:17 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
https://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gmc/...-instructions/

Look at Step 10 - 6.6L Duramax turbo-diesel engine....connect negative cable to the auxiliary battery negative post.

It's my understanding that the main battery is on the driver side and the auxiliary battery on the passenger side.

But it this is not the reason, why would two different websites say that the jumper cables would not "fit" my truck?
Old 01-24-2021, 10:50 PM   #6

You're getting excited about nothing. Just checked the same Amazon page and according to it, those cables won't work on my Dodge, Volkswagen, nor either of my older Jeep Cherokees. My guess is they are metric.

As far as jump starting the diesel, I'd just hook to one battery, the closest to the starter if possible, and call it good.
Old 01-25-2021, 05:11 AM   #7

The manual that i looked at online was for a 2020. Nothing drastic has changed and if i had to jump my 2018 i would do as the 2020 manual states and hook it to the battery closest to the starter unless the cables wouldn't reach then i would hook it to the one i could reach.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 05:35 AM   #8

Not to far in the past the suggestion on jump starting was to connect the positive cable to the battery post and the negetive cable to the chassis of the vehicle.

That was to elemenate any sparks near the battery.

I guess those days are gone.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 06:18 AM   #9

Have you considered that they may have listed the cables as 'not fitting' your truck because they were not made with a heavy enough gauge wire?

Some of the jumper cables sold today are really lightweight and would have trouble jump starting a motorcycle, let alone a truck with a diesel engine. Having the heaviest gauge cable you can get would be important.

The other thing that comes to mind is to double check the clamps on the end of the cable. I've seen some on the market which are designed to fit specific battery terminal styles, and perhaps the ones you were looking at were meant for something with a unique battery terminal.

On a related but different note, if you think you will need to use the jumper cables more than on rare occasions, perhaps you would benefit from installing a remote jumper cable connection point like the tow trucks use.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 07:08 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
Have you considered that they may have listed the cables as 'not fitting' your truck because they were not made with a heavy enough gauge wire?

Some of the jumper cables sold today are really lightweight and would have trouble jump starting a motorcycle, let alone a truck with a diesel engine. Having the heaviest gauge cable you can get would be important.

The other thing that comes to mind is to double check the clamps on the end of the cable. I've seen some on the market which are designed to fit specific battery terminal styles, and perhaps the ones you were looking at were meant for something with a unique battery terminal.

On a related but different note, if you think you will need to use the jumper cables more than on rare occasions, perhaps you would benefit from installing a remote jumper cable connection point like the tow trucks use.
Cables were #2 gage wire, 800 amps and had standard clamps as you see on most jumper cables. It's almost as if Amazon said, this flashlight won't shine in your house.
Old 01-25-2021, 07:13 AM   #11

Guess that Means - "Sell the Truck" - Solution to the problem.

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 07:39 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

IMO, the Amazon "fit your truck" isn't all that smart. It just matches up what the component lists in its webpage meta data about fitment, which may be nothing. If the component doesn't specifically claim to fit your vehicle, the Amazon tool won't guess or extrapolate.

I have five vehicles in my Amazon profile and I didn't find any of them that these cables would "fit". Not even the old 2001 Windstar I use for hauling trash and trips to the lumber yard.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 07:46 AM   #13

As Gary said--jumper cables are not manufactured to a particular vehicle fit, thus the Amazon Answer Man is stumped....
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 08:04 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
As Gary said--jumper cables are not manufactured to a particular vehicle fit, thus the Amazon Answer Man is stumped....
So according to the Amazon Answer Man, that flashlight might not shine in my house. Maybe he should ask Alexa.

Tags
cable