Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2016, 06:30 PM   #1

Just a reminder going to Canada

Canadian vacations end for two Texans who brought guns along on separate trips | Globalnews.ca
NorthernDriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2016, 06:37 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
And if you don't have the proper paper work for your dogs vaccinations ya will be sent home.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 06:42 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
They were idiots for hiding them. I have brought long guns in to Canada many times. Fill out the paperwork register them and pay your $25.00 registration fee, all good.

Being stupid should be painful. Easier to comply with the law in this case than to try and beat it.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:41 PM   #4

Probably just thugs.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:10 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I guess when we go full time I wont be seeing much of Canada.
Old 08-18-2016, 01:07 PM   #6

We travel back and forth from Alaska to Texas every year. We get searched on average every other year just because of these folks. I've never carried a gun into Canada but after 16 years of travel we still get pulled over. I would think by now their records would show I don't carry, but they still acuse me of having a hand gun half the time.

The last two times I figured out what I was doing wrong. When asked, on the way up, about where we had traveled I said California and Texas. "Texas" never say Texas, they know all Texans have and carry guns.

But it's hard to blame the Canadians, Americans try to sneak thru all the time knowing they don't allow any hand guns.

I wish I could fix it so I didn't get selected for a search quite so often but other than not ever saying "Texas" again I don't know what to do. And by the way if you have Texas plates you don't have a chance, ours are Alaska, but maybe that's just as bad.
larry koenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 05:24 PM   #7
tcg

I live on the Canadian border and travel there occasionally.

If you frequent Canada a lot you should consider getting a Nexus card you still might get searched but for the most part you go through the express lane and all is good.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 06:41 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Would this be considered profiling?
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:12 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I have Alaska plates too, just moved back to Ohio, only been searched once and that was on the U.S. side. Only seemed to be interested in fruits and vegetables.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry koenn View Post
We travel back and forth from Alaska to Texas every year. We get searched on average every other year just because of these folks. I've never carried a gun into Canada but after 16 years of travel we still get pulled over. I would think by now their records would show I don't carry, but they still acuse me of having a hand gun half the time.

The last two times I figured out what I was doing wrong. When asked, on the way up, about where we had traveled I said California and Texas. "Texas" never say Texas, they know all Texans have and carry guns.

But it's hard to blame the Canadians, Americans try to sneak thru all the time knowing they don't allow any hand guns.

I wish I could fix it so I didn't get selected for a search quite so often but other than not ever saying "Texas" again I don't know what to do. And by the way if you have Texas plates you don't have a chance, ours are Alaska, but maybe that's just as bad.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
Would this be considered profiling?
Does Canadian law even forbid profiling?
jrwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:00 PM   #11

Canadian inspections

Traveled by RV twice to Alaska with Shotgun and $25 registration. Yes, they all wanted to check the serial number, and make sure ammunition was stored seperately. Our biggest complaint was with the US side inspections. They for the most part are rude and want to show off their authority. I think they may be jealous about other people having nice RV's. Imagine why after crossing numerous check points to and from Alaska, being pulled over at the final crossing back into the US, some one determined we were carying 3 pounds of dog food. The last of the dog food used for the entire trip. I guess two seniors with two miniture schnauzers were finally caught trying to contaminate the entire US food chain with 3 pounds of dog food. Or maybe he needed food for his dog.
rmbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:08 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
And if a Canadian tried `smuggling` handguns into the US, you would be spending 5-10 in a Federal prison and your RV seized and auctioned off.
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:12 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
I have Texas plates. I should just plan on getting searched several times.

On a side note, it is the handguns with a barrel length less than 6" if my memory serves me correctly. You can't even register these to take across the border. If you are traveling through Canada to Alaska then have an authorized dealer ship your handguns to Alaska from the last place you visit in the states and pick them up there. All this info is the Canadian Bacon Website.
TechNot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry koenn View Post
And by the way if you have Texas plates you don't have a chance, ours are Alaska, but maybe that's just as bad.
We had Texas plates and weren't searched crossing many times. Sometimes I think it the person's attitude when answering questions.

When entering a foreign country you just have to abide by their law. Same goes for Canadians entering the U.S.

We always thought the Canadian customs were a lot more friendly than the U.S.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, canada