Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2022, 01:29 PM   #1

Just changed my first black tank valve...

Wow...
Got a call from a customer ( I do marine work) and he hired me to unfreeze his sons black tank valve on his 2018 NOGO.
Got over there and the toilet was filled with brown puree and the tank was filled. Cable would budge. Trailer was rusted and beat to hell.
Anyway...had to end up dropping the belly liner and changing the valve and cable. Just changed the sliding mechanism and left the glued joints alone.
Needless to say, I swam in yellow and brown liquid for three hours.
Why the hell don't RV's use hoses with clamps like boats? Then you wouldn't have to cut the pvc away and re-glue joints?
I think my first mod will be to put flexible hoses going to the outlet valves with double clamps. Also...get rid of that "y" fitting that combines the gray and black tank to the same outlet. Will install two outlets.
Any downside to this?
Homeby5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2022, 06:30 PM   #2

If I'd been hired for that, first thing I'd have done is subcontracted with a pump out service to empty the tank through the toilet, flood with fresh water, pump out the tank again. As many times as necessary. And then have them stand by when I broke into the system.

The reason that there are two tanks going to a Y is that many many RV'ers hook up to the sewer and than just let it drain for months at a time. Sometimes years. So flipping back and forth between grey and black tanks with the slinky connection hose isn't favored. They want to hook it up and forget it. Those of us who full time travel in our RVs also prefer having just one outlet. Simplifies dumping.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 07:05 PM   #3

Gotcha...thanks.
What about using hose and clamps instead of pvc glued connections? Seems to me they would hold up better and definately be easier to repair or replace.
Homeby5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 07:17 PM   #4

There are plenty of methods that could be used for sanitary connections and the RV manufacturer chose that slip on and glue method because it was easiest and CHEAPEST.

Sure, you could come up with many prettier and easier to use methods for that chore but I'd suggest you only do it for yourself. Doubt that it would be easy to sell to the general RV public.

There are sewer connectors that allow 360 degree swivel that I've often thought about putting in my sanitary bay, but so far, just haven't had the ambition for something that returns so little.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, tank, valve