Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2017, 08:48 AM   #29

We are on our second rv... The first was a small 27' class A . We got it for being able to travel with our kids (Danes) and visit family 1200+ miles away. It served us well, but like most here, we learned what worked and what did not for us. For us it was not enough room for two people and two Danes. We talked about it, and I wanted a new vehicle, (hopefully my last) so we bought a nice truck, and found a 5th wheel that we both liked. I guess the thing I miss from the older class A is no genny. We don't "boondock" but you just never know. I do have two gennies to pick from so I'll start taking one with us.
As far as $$, we also are trying to plan for retirement, before buying the truck and 5vr we made a 5 yr plan. So far its working well. We are ahead of schedual. I'll be 59 in a couple months (hopefully) and working 60-65 hrs a week driving a truck. But its getting us where we need to be...
Long story a bit shorter, its easier to pay for things when you are working. Take your time, look at different rv's, and Go For It !!! Life is short...
Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2017, 11:50 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
Why not buy something you can afford to only use when you want to? Always puzzles me when people think they need to buy some god awful expensive thing when they could have spent half as much and been just as happy...
Old 07-31-2017, 12:17 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneToTheDog View Post
I'd be careful. I think there's a big difference between being concerned about the amount being spent (and whether their $$ might be better spent on something else) and not being able to afford it. I would agree that one risking being able to pay their bills by buying a huge "want" item may warrant reconsideration, but just being nervous about a large spend is not a silly thing.
jonnyaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 02:06 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Many, many things can and do go wrong with MH's. If you have to convince her to get a MH than it might not be the best thing. Hopefully she's just voicing her concerns and will eventually come around. You really need both of you on board so that problems are just a part of the process. I'm sure many people would love traveling in a MH but know their spouse would not.
Lot's of great advice here but........ MH'ing is not for everyone.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:32 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyaiks View Post
I'd be careful. I think there's a big difference between being concerned about the amount being spent (and whether their $$ might be better spent on something else) and not being able to afford it. I would agree that one risking being able to pay their bills by buying a huge "want" item may warrant reconsideration, but just being nervous about a large spend is not a silly thing.

Thank you !
Smmast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:52 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smmast View Post
I have been doing my research for over a year now, only to hear today..."but will we use it enough at this point in our lives (still working full time) to justify the expense?"
Wind taken right out of sails when faced with what is probably a very fair question. Guess it just gives me more time to save and research, but i'm still pretty bummed today. Thanks for listening and all the great info.
Man I hate having the wind taken out of my sails...

But sometimes it has helped me make the right choices.

Best of luck!
Old 08-01-2017, 02:59 AM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mricet1005 View Post
I'll echo "don't wait until it's too late". My wife and I bought our first RV, a one year old 40ft DP with dreams of spending 6-8 months each year on the road in between spending time with grand children. It was a great dream. I retired in 2015 and she planned 2018. We're both teachers and got three summers with 8 week trips and quite a few weekend trips. However, last Nov she was diagnosed with stage 3 pancreatic cancer that was inoperable at age 60. I've been full time caregiver since and she is now in the end stage with not much longer to live. I type this while she's resting in the hospital after an ER trip on Friday.

As others here have talked about I now face whether to continue the travel dream as a solo once she passes. I still want to travel but will the memories and loneliness be too hard to handle? While I can handle the 40 ft DP solo (have done several solo trips already before she got sick) it's really more MH than I will need if I continue.

Sorry for the long story but follow your dreams as soon as possible. Don't wait. You never know what will happen.
So sorry you folks are experiencing these difficulties .
gimlimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:26 AM   #36

Purchased my first motorhome in 1983, and have not been without one since. Can I justify the expense, probably not financially, but the enjoyment has been worth every penny. I have no regrets.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:51 AM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We started on a whim we wanted to take the boys to disney but the hotel cost, meals even the cost of renting one, made more sense to by a used MH (have had 4 class A's) if we didn't like it we could re sell it. Done a lot of weekenders met a lot of great people . Had a set back with the big C which made me so glad we did all of it. Now we are back starting over just bought a 99 Mountain Aire. CAN'T WAIT to get back at it!
house2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:51 AM   #38

When the kids were small we bought a pop-up trailer. Then we progressed to a 26 foot travel trailer. A few years later e came across a very good deal and bought a class B motorhome which we used and enjoyed with the kids. As the kids got older and involved in more school things we sold the motorhome. Now the kids are grown and gone. We are retired and working on downsizing everything so we can buy a Class A to take our time traveling some places we have not gotten to yet. The kids have nothing but great memories of our previous experiences and understand why we want to live full time traveling in our motorhome. The past experience has helped us know what we should be looking for in a motorhome, what we need to get rid of from our S & B, and what we should keep. Starting small and working up as the kids grew worked well for us and we never had too much money tied up in something everyone might not enjoy.
MikeStafford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:12 AM   #39

Single woman, 63 years old. Fulltimer 1 1/2 years. Sold my home, paid cash for 10 year old class A,. Hit road towing my car. Auto insurance, health insurance, and cell phone bills! No other bills! Couldn't do it if i had debts! Love my freedom!!!
Robindeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:28 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robindeeter View Post
Single woman, 63 years old. Fulltimer 1 1/2 years. Sold my home, paid cash for 10 year old class A,. Hit road towing my car. Auto insurance, health insurance, and cell phone bills! No other bills! Couldn't do it if i had debts! Love my freedom!!!
Outstanding. Never too late to live your dream!
jonnyaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:37 AM   #41

Good for you!
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 01:55 PM   #42

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I think it's important to assess your ability to do your own repairs before deciding to buy a used RV. I bought a brand new Class C because I am pretty clueless about anything under the hood. RV dealers charge $100+/hour and often want to keep your RV for weeks. Single woman are often cheated when it comes to auto repairs.

If I ever buy another motorhome I would probably buy new again. A travel trailer or fifth wheel? Probably used. I know a lot more now.

I am also a single female fulltimer. I'm 66 and have been traveling with 2 small pets for over 6 years. My plan is to chase great weather and enjoy exploring this beautiful country. I have met thousands of wonderful people along the way. RVers are the best of the best!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent