Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2021, 11:59 PM   #1

Just Purchased a Rockwood Roo 23WS

We just purchased our first RV Trailer, a 2016 Rockwood Roo 23WS and towed it 467 miles home with our 2018 Ford F150.

I'm sure we'll have a lot of questions. We need everything and know very little about RVing.

We live on a bit of a hill and only have a couple of those plastic yellow wheel chocks so I have not detached the trailer from the truck yet. What are the best kinds of wheel chocks to secure a trailer on a hill and what's the best place to get them? I could also use some leveling blocks. I realize I can Google and find much of this on Amazon and eBay but since we're new to this we don't know anything about brands, reliability, and what works.

Much of the "starting out" related products are probably common across a lot of RV's , where is the best threads to post so that I don't end up repeating the same questions?

I'm thinking I'll try and divide the questions in multiple categories:

Setup of the trailer at a campsite, are there clever products to help with leveling, securing and disconnecting the trailer?

Holding tanks: Are there products to help with with the various holding tanks, toilet paper, chemicals, dos and don'ts, etc..

Power: Batteries, solar, off grid camping, cooking.

Are there brick and mortar stores or service centers to purchase these types of products. I'd prefer creating a relationship with a company who gets to know me and would be willing to help. Is that a possibility?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.
Av8Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2021, 05:18 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Use the Search by Google button and look for you answers. Your questions have been asked many times in the past and there are lots of answers out there. Congrats on the new rig !!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Search Box.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	315038  
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 07:51 AM   #3

Welcome to the obsession.
Aside from the products, which really come down to personal preference and budget, one of the first things you should learn and make a habit is to be certain that your trailer is securely chocked [I]before you unhitch[I], especially that you park on a hill.
Old 01-19-2021, 07:56 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Solid rubber chocks worked well and are inexpensive - see these at Harbor Freight (for example):

https://www.harborfreight.com/solid-...ock-96479.html

Most of the things you ask about have been covered here repeatedly, so a SEARCH of the site, or the internet in general, will find numerous suggestions and recommendations.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 08:35 AM   #5

You can likely buy everything you would need at a local RV dealership, but in my experience, they carry the same products you can get cheaper at Wal-Mart or Amazon, so I don't see any real benefit to going to a brick and mortar store. Read the reviews on Amazon, which can be pretty helpful. Others may disagree, but we've never used special "RV" toilet paper, just whatever cheap single ply we can find. I like the "drop in" chemical packs rather than the liquid for the holding tank, but don't have a particular preference. Again, all of those can be found at Wal-Mart or Amazon. I would keep it simple to start with, particularly when it comes to "power" systems like solar, batteries, etc., since those are quite expensive. In time, you will figure out what you want and need. Make a few camping trips close to home (or close to a store if you forget something important), and start making lists of things you need / want. It will all come together with a little time and experience.
jergle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 02:02 PM   #6

I buy most of my RV supplies from Walmart and Amazon also, but I do on occasion visit an RV supply store. Camping World usually has quite a selection but some RV dealers have pretty complete stores as well. I would suggest that you visit several and just pick the place that you like the best.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 11:54 PM   #7

Thanks everyone for the advice. We live at the top of a cul de sac so there's a bit of a hill. I left the truck connected until I could get some serious chocks. I purchased four heavy duty solid rubber chocks from Harbor Freight.

I'm looking at the Camco FasTen leveling blocks (Pack of 10) They look like their rugged enough and easy to store.

Regarding the "search" function. I'm a moderator on an aviation forum So I'm well versed in how forums work. When people ask for help they're rarely simply asking for part numbers, they are usually asking for your opinion which can be difficult when you don't know what search terms to use or questions to ask. Like airplanes, RV's can be a big expense and time consuming to learn, starting with basic questions is a social filter to determine who's answers you can trust.

Google has led to a society where everyone knows how to do everything but hardly anyone has actually done anything. There are some things, like flying and maybe RVing where it's more about the doing than just the knowing. We're all a little better off for sharing and learning from one another.

Sorry, as a moderator a bit of a pet peeve of mine.

Thanks for the advice.
Av8Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase