Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2020, 06:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
I think that’s what Jrollf was saying - in the event of a malfunction (short) the appliance and/or wiring will burn up long before tripping a 50a breaker.
Yes, this was my concern. Apologize of I wasn't clear.
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2020, 06:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy-c View Post
I agree. There are Electricians and then there are "Electricians". Also why couldn't the Electrician wire this up for you that you needed to come to the Forum for help. He ( or she ) really doesn't sound very professional.
I agree, his electrician should be charged with impersonation.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 08:08 AM   #17

We live WAY out in the boonies, and getting an electrician out is the problem. He came out on a Saturday for about 45 minutes, examined the issue, then left. Came back several days later, started some work, left. That was about two weeks ago. I am not sure where he is at this point, but going to take matters into my own hands if I don't hear back from him in the next day or two.

Rather than go this temporary route, I have a week to stay out there and fix it correctly. I was hoping to spend that time with my family for the holiday, but keeping that cabin defrosted is the more important issue, right now.

What happened is we have two 20A circuits, built by a "handiman" for his hunting cabin. It is shared with a storage shed. Already too much on those two circuits. We turned everything off and tried to run a 120v hot tub, and it blew the circuit. GFCI is tripped, but won't reset. I replaced it, still won't reset. Do they need power to maintain "reset"? If not, that may be my problem.

Otherwise, I will go to the outlet that the hottub was plugged into, and inspect while working my way back through that circuit until I find a burned/broken/loose wire. If I don't find one, I will rewire the entire property with 2 30A circuits and upgrade all the wiring. Hope it doesn't come to that.
scottandanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 08:12 AM   #18

Now that I wrote that and re-read it, I am thinking the GFCI is staying tripped because there is something else on that circuit that is keeping it tripped (DUH!). So I will unplug everything, and start at the suspected outlet, bypassing each until I find one that doesn't trip the GFCI, then I think that should identify my problem area, then swap out that outlet, or fix whatever is going on in that area.
Old 11-23-2020, 12:15 PM   #19

Which is worse, hiring an electrician that can't fix a dual 20A breaker box issue or asking on a social media RV group how to fix a home wiring problem?
Don Juane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 12:25 PM   #20

Are you using a voltmeter to help you check your circuits? If the gfi doesn’t reset it either has a problem down stream or there is no power going to it . It also won’t reset if it is defective. You could even eliminate the gfi if it isn’t required but it is a safety requirement around water like in the kitchen or bath area.
Old 11-23-2020, 12:29 PM   #21

There is the answer. Disable the GFI on the SPA..... you guys KILL me (no pun intended) Tough time to be learning basic electricity with social media as teacher, Confucius Says.
Don Juane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 08:24 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Juane View Post
There is the answer. Disable the GFI on the SPA..... you guys KILL me (no pun intended) Tough time to be learning basic electricity with social media as teacher, Confucius Says.

I need power to my house when temps drop into the 20 at night. If I cannot get an expert to come out to fix it, I will need to do it myself.

Thanks for the constructive comment.
Old 11-24-2020, 08:29 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy1 View Post
Are you using a voltmeter to help you check your circuits? If the gfi doesn’t reset it either has a problem down stream or there is no power going to it . It also won’t reset if it is defective. You could even eliminate the gfi if it isn’t required but it is a safety requirement around water like in the kitchen or bath area.

I realize you meant to remove the gfi just for testing and troubleshooting reasons, and not as part of the permanent fix.

I have all the tools, and the help, just need the time, and decent enough weather to work outside for a couple of hours.
Old 11-24-2020, 08:40 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottandanna View Post
Here is the layout. I blew out a WIRE (i think) at my cabin a couple weeks back, and the electrician is stumped. Thanksgiving is this next weekend, so I could definitely use some power in the cabin.

We have some property with a power pole that has a 30A and a 50A connection for trailers, then a shed and small cabin running off of 2 20A circuits. One of those circuits has died and we cannot find the source of the malfunction.

I have a 50A RV power cable. I have an unused 50A circuit. I only need about 20 amps from it but never hurts to have more. Is there any SAFE way to hook the 50A cable to some sort of power strip so I can create a couple of portable 110 outlets for the cabin for the Thanksgiving weekend?

Just a short-term fix until I/electrician can find the source of our dead circuit.
1) You need a new electrician ... seriously.
2) With all of the money and time you will spend on what you are proposing with adapters and such, you could just get an electrician to fix the original issue.
3) Have a safe Thanksgiving!
2017 22K Bounder 415/6spd/5:38s
2018 F150 Lariat 502A 4X4 Toad & Tow Vehicle
2023 Rockwood GeoPro 20BHS
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 08:51 AM   #25

Quote:
Here is the layout. I blew out a WIRE (i think) at my cabin a couple weeks back, and the electrician is stumped. Thanksgiving is this next weekend, so I could definitely use some power in the cabin.

We have some property with a power pole that has a 30A and a 50A connection for trailers, then a shed and small cabin running off of 2 20A circuits. One of those circuits has died and we cannot find the source of the malfunction.

I have a 50A RV power cable. I have an unused 50A circuit. I only need about 20 amps from it but never hurts to have more. Is there any SAFE way to hook the 50A cable to some sort of power strip so I can create a couple of portable 110 outlets for the cabin for the Thanksgiving weekend?

Just a short-term fix until I/electrician can find the source of our dead circuit.
JMHO,

When it comes to electrical if you feel the need to ask on irv2 - usually, you might just be smart to wait for your Electrician.

The info on this site is Often, Questionable and at the Most, Just Wrong.

Sorry JMHO,

(If i were you I'd just get a 12 ga electrical cord and use it in place of - but Separate from, the Blown Circuit)
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 10:26 AM   #26

Quote:
I realize you meant to remove the gfi just for testing and troubleshooting reasons, and not as part of the permanent fix.

I have all the tools, and the help, just need the time, and decent enough weather to work outside for a couple of hours.
That is the idea you certainly wouldn’t remove a GFI permanently if anywhere near moisture
Old 11-24-2020, 10:44 AM   #27

The GFCI will not reset if there is no power to it; if the connected load fault has not been corrected; if the GFCI has failed.

The "installed by a former owner/handyman" part is probably where I'd start looking. I've seen plain old NMS (Romex) buried, run overhead, and just run on top of the earth (all three at the same church, I called it the "meet your maker" trifecta). Start at the main breaker box and follow the circuit to the GFCI. You'll find the failure.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:50 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
The GFCI will not reset if there is no power to it; if the connected load fault has not been corrected; if the GFCI has failed.

The "installed by a former owner/handyman" part is probably where I'd start looking. I've seen plain old NMS (Romex) buried, run overhead, and just run on top of the earth (all three at the same church, I called it the "meet your maker" trifecta). Start at the main breaker box and follow the circuit to the GFCI. You'll find the failure.
Exactly! That is my project for today.

Still cannot find an electrician, so going to tackle it myself.

i may end up rewiring the entire place myself, and if I do, I will upgrade the entire circuit, breakers, wires, all of it.

There are also lots of later "add-on" sockets and outdoor lights that will be removed in the process. Simplify what is here and then hopefully eliminate, or at least it will be easier to identify the problem.