Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2018, 04:37 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgpd1sam View Post
I’m just curious then. What do you do with your pets when you are out and about or in camp?
We rarely left our little dog except maybe for quick trips of a couple of hours. In that case, we left him inside the RV with the air conditioner on. When he was outside the RV with us, he was always on a leash (as is required by most campgrounds). We would not have considered "staking" him out, ever.

My sister and BIL travel with a folding pen, so they can put their Boston Terrier in a small fenced enclosure when they are sitting outside their RV.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2018, 05:51 PM   #30

Once again, I appreciate all the input.

Speaking on pets: I think of camping as no different than regular life in regards to the pets. I work in a hospital so I can't take them to work with me, nor do I take them grocery shopping or out to nice restaurants, or to the movies.
When I am camping there are times I will want to leave them at "home" just like...at home.

My question was more about the actual setup used when camping. At home we have a privacy fence surrounding the backyard, and a 10x10 covered kennel with rubber floor and a litter box area, with fans and cooling mats in the summer, and heating pad inside the dog house in the winter. Or they stay inside the house in their indoor kennel in real extreme temperatures. They go in their kennels (indoor and outdoor) on their own to sleep, and have since they were puppies. They live inside at home of course, the outdoor and indoor kennel is used for the times we are at work and no kid is at home.

So, when I'm at home and I BBQ they are outside with me running around. Obviously I can't do that at a campground and respect the rules. When I am sitting inside or outside, they like to cuddle or just lay at our feet or on their dog beds. Once again, if doing this outside the camper they can't just run loose.

Currently I have two stakes I run in the ground and place them so they can still reach our chairs to cuddle. However, this can cause some tangles with chair legs and each others tie out lead. In the camper they are loose, and behave just like at home. I bring their indoor kennel to the camper and they sleep in it, and at the first campout I left them inside it, inside the camper, with the radio and A/C on. They don't bark, and no one but us would know they were inside.

I'm more curious how those who don't leave dogs in a kennel or home alone up go to work, shopping, out to eat, etc?

Thanks again for all the helpful input,
Frank
Being Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 07:45 AM   #31

Our world revolves around our kids.. (dogs to some) We got started rving with the sole purpose of being able to take the "kids" with us. Here at home they have a large fenced yard. But they live inside. While camping, they go out with us on leash. We do not tie them out. Many camp grounds have rules against that anyway. In our case,,, they are Great Danes, the youngest is 5 months old, (70lbs) (Monster boy !!) We removed the fold out couch for his night time large crate. Works perfect. For us we don't leave them alone in the rv. We plan everything with them in mind. Many places, stores, etc allow pets on leash. We ALWAYS pick up after them,,, even others poop. We hate that some won't pick up 'stuff'.... I still work, she does not, so they are not left alone much, if so they both go in their crates. (inside)

As far as the awning, pull it in when in doubt !!! Last week it rained most of our last trip of the year, so we had it out. DW got me up about 2 am to pull it in as the wind came up. (guess I need to teach her how to Press The Button ! ) Or not....

As others we have a large nylon straw type mat for outside, 10x12 ? It works great, drys quick and catches alot of dirt, sand etc. Got it a wally world.

Water heater stays on electric unless we go to town, then its off.

Hope this helps,,,, Have a great time in the new rv !!!! Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:26 AM   #32

Great questions Frank. I'm sure those would be the same questions I would have after our first trip out. Including the silly question about the top bunk.
streittk is offline   Reply With Quote