Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2021, 11:36 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Anyone who thinks their SSN is not already on the dark web somewhere is delusional. I don’t give it out to retail outlets who have unknown security protocols, but I have no problem giving it on government websites that are secure. Note however that the last confirmed loss of my SSN (along with much, much more important data) was with a US Government contractor processing my Top Secret security clearance. I am still getting identify theft protection from the Office of Personnel Management at least 8 years after the breach. Anyone who has ever filled out a SF-86 and seen the data the security office pulls in addition knows why I wouldn’t worry about a SSN with the State of Colorado.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2021, 12:17 PM   #16

One day license? Easy, my ssn is 123-45-6789.
gwill1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 02:44 PM   #17

I can’t imagine why it’s needed. Personally, I’d just make one up.
Dakotah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 02:55 PM   #18

Its funny my father is the same way won't give ss#.i told him that is if someone really wants it that it is floating around on the internet so dont get so uptight about it.
GMONEY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 02:41 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMONEY1 View Post
Its funny my father is the same way won't give ss#.i told him that is if someone really wants it that it is floating around on the internet so dont get so uptight about it.
If you want to search for your SSN you must type it into a search engine first. Now you know it's out there on the web-somewhere.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 03:24 AM   #20

I just transpose a few figures. Mix em up a little.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 02:55 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldubs View Post
I would feel the same and would not want to hand over my SSN.

Out of curiosity I did some checking (on the internet of course). Apparently the SSN was added as a way to check for deadbeat parents. Someone behind on child support would be refused a license. According to the article, it was expected spread to other states for any recreational license. But I sure haven't seen or heard about it here in California.
It is the same in Nevada. We spent a month there last year and I needed to provide it for my fishing license. I was given the same reason by the clerk.
MarcM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 02:55 PM   #22
GDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTTransplant View Post
Anyone who thinks their SSN is not already on the dark web somewhere is delusional. I don’t give it out to retail outlets who have unknown security protocols, but I have no problem giving it on government websites that are secure. Note however that the last confirmed loss of my SSN (along with much, much more important data) was with a US Government contractor processing my Top Secret security clearance. I am still getting identify theft protection from the Office of Personnel Management at least 8 years after the breach. Anyone who has ever filled out a SF-86 and seen the data the security office pulls in addition knows why I wouldn’t worry about a SSN with the State of Colorado.

I'm in the same boat, damn Snowden! I was going through some of the boxes I had left from my mom's passing and came across a bunch of letters my brothers and I wrote to her from various duty stations. When I enlisted in the mid 1970's your service number was your SSN and was a part of your return address! I had forgotten about that but imagine your SSN on every outgoing piece of mail and how that would go over today!
GDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 03:00 PM   #23

I’m so old my original Social Security card says on the back not to be used for identification. That all ended somewhere around 1980 when there was a feeble push to assign all Americans an identification number. The movement failed in Congress as many Americans recalled World War II and the Nazis’ numbering system. But soon there after your Social Security number became your official number. Children were required to have Social Security numbers if you wanted to deduct them on your income tax return. Oh how things changed.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 03:00 PM   #24

What does you social have to do with fishing?

Last question..
What does your social have to do with health care?
If you give them your social do you get better treatment? Doctors don’t need your social for anything that has to do with your health.. if they tell you otherwise.. they are liars!
Old 10-03-2021, 03:02 PM   #25

The data generated by your cell phone and internet browsing is worth more than your SSN. The folks who got all up over the latest T-Mobile data breach should be more worried about their location, contact list, messages, photos, etc being mined by various apps and T-Mobile itself.
Old 10-03-2021, 03:06 PM   #26

They asked for ssn in South Carolina on fishing trip I just gave them a BS set of numbers on the last 4 they can’t really check that for out of state people I don’t believe . Got fishing license no problem I use old licenses when I go back each year for renewal.
Jm.wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 03:27 PM   #27

They want a number? Give them a number.
9 digits.
The first 3 can be your actual number the rest can some times get all jumbled up because I am old and sometimes make mistakes.
This is not rocket surgery.

66lima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 03:27 PM   #28
tcg

I did a quick search because I was curious, it all seems tied to federal law dating back to 1996 and 1998.

US Code 42 specifically section 666 ( I know, weird right?) section 13 (even more weird).

If you want to research any more use US Code 42 hunting fishing license and you can find more information and some court cases finding it's legal to do. It's also tied to states getting federal funding for welfare.

Laws... we need them but they are complicated sometimes. Apparently, if you ask they are supposed to give you the federal law that requires it.

Michigan (my state) requires a social security number for drivers license but not for fishing, I believe, from some very fast searching, it's because they cross reference everything meeting the federal rules. But I could be wrong on that, it's very confusing and now I have a headache so I'm going to watch Columbo.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/42/666
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote