Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2017, 02:44 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Keep your black tank valve open!

I guess you really can find anything on the internet. I think most people have learned to not leave your black tank valve open, even with hookups, to prevent the dreaded TP teepee (along with other solid "ingredients"), but I happened to run across this: How to connect RV to RV Park Sewer actually telling people that you should always leave your black tank valve open when using hookups. Wow...
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2017, 03:12 PM   #2

Well, I know personally my son in law kept his black tank open.
It took him a few months to get the pyramid build up out of his tank.
Not a fun job.
Also looked at the faq on that site and will disagree with the choice of toilet paper to use. Always use septic safe to. The test is to see how quickly it desolves in a cup of water. Cheaper works if it passes the test.
gabeears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 03:29 PM   #3

Keep your black tank valve open!

Wow! It's almost like they reversed the correct and incorrect ways, isn't it? Kinda makes one wonder just where their staff spent those 5,500+ days full-timing doesn't it? LOL
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 03:53 PM   #4

I could see why some camp grounds would want you to leave open. My opinion there plumbing can't handle the volume of water all at one time.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:04 PM   #5

Looks like a site created specifically to generate ad revenue.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 05:03 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Leaving the valve open, provides a greater chance for the campgrounds sewer gases to enter the coach. I have also read that is messes up with the campgrounds venting systems.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:10 PM   #7

Also increases chances of getting critters coming up the pipe. Never had an issue with smell if you drain the tanks regularly, which for most people would be at least once or twice a week. I will stick with the tried and true method of dumping when required.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:11 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
👍🚍🤠
Old 09-19-2017, 07:51 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The site also claims that the other (wrong) way to do it (keeping your tanks closed, then dumping) means opening both valves at the same time. Mind-blowing. I looked the site over, but could find no way to make contact with them. Oh well, probably a waste of time trying to educate them anyway.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:34 PM   #10

If you read far enough, there is a comment for contact at: webmaster@rvbonus.com

Not sure it is worth bothering about...
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 05:37 PM   #11

I don't knowwho these yahos are, but their "advice" fkies in the face of rv convention and experience, and logic.

As others have written isn't worth the effort to tell them otherwise.
jac
2usaretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2usaretired View Post
I don't knowwho these yahos are, but their "advice" fkies in the face of rv convention and experience, and logic.

As others have written isn't worth the effort to tell them otherwise.
jac
I agree. Trying to tell these idiots they were out to lunch would be like going into battle with an unarmed person.
The shame in all this is there will be unsuspecting folks out there following this lead because "If it is on the internet It's true".
My brother and my sister both started camping a year before I did. One of the first things they expressed to me was how to use the valves on my waste tanks. The earlier belief was it was best to leave the black tank valve closed and the gray tank valve open when on a full hookup site. Between us we figured out leaving both valves shut until the tanks needed emptying was a better method. Less chance of odor intrusion and better cleaning of the tanks when emptied.
This is the way I have continued to use my valves since we figured this out.
BTW, I first started camping in 1976.
Lynn
Old 09-21-2017, 06:52 PM   #13

I agree it is best to keep black tank closed until high level but I lived full time in a 5th wheel for 6 years, it did not move during that time. Both valves were never closed and never had a problem. I used to work for an RV mobile repairman and the design of the tank outlets is important on how well they drain.
texkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:39 AM   #14

In their writings these clowns claim you can prevent the dreaded pile by flushing two bowls full of water after using the toilet.
My Thetford toilet bowl only holds about 2 1/2 quarts of water. When it is flushed the water doesn't drop all at once but it has to travel down a 45 degree elbow which I am sure slows the flow rate some. The pressure just isn't enough to break up a good pile with a paper wrapping.
Of course that is one of the reasons I drink large amounts of beer. I don't add so much to the pile this way. "loose as a goose". Please don't form a visual.
Lynn

Tags
black tank, tank, valve