Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2018, 08:54 AM   #1

Keeping batteries charged

I have always kept my unit plugged into a timer that puts power to the coach about 10 or 15 minutes each day. My reason for that is to keep from drying the batteries out while the unit is stored. My question to the experienced is this a good practice? Sometimes the unit may sit for 2 months. I would like some opinions. Thanks
rtd8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2018, 09:00 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtd8 View Post
I have always kept my unit plugged into a timer that puts power to the coach about 10 or 15 minutes each day. My reason for that is to keep from drying the batteries out while the unit is stored. My question to the experienced is this a good practice? Sometimes the unit may sit for 2 months. I would like some opinions. Thanks
If it works, I guess it's okay. But do have a battery monitor? You may not be keeping your battery's fully charged. I understand not wanting to dry out your battery's, but you also don't want to let them not be fully charged. You don't say how big your bank is? It's hard to give you a answer.
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:02 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
I leave mine plugged in all the time and check the water level at least once per month.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:43 AM   #4

A battery sitting idle for two months is unlikely to lose water. It will lose some of its charge depending, in part, on any loads it may be supporting. 15 minutes a day may not be sufficient to properly charge the batteries. Water loss occurs from regular discharging and charging.

Depending on where it is parked, a solar maintainer may be a viable option. When ours was parked without power I found a 20w solar maintainer was sufficient to keep the chassis batteries charged, provided that the battery disconnect switch was off to eliminate phantom loads. I did not use a solar panel to maintain the house batteries as I was able to run the generator every month or so to charge them. I would imagine a100w panel would be sufficient to main your house bank of 6-8 batteries.

FLA batteries will provide a longer service life when kept properly charged. A maintainer, either solar or plug in, may be an option to consider.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:27 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

15 minutes is too short, but yes that can be a useful practice if you have an older technology charger (e.g. single stage or limited regulation). With the old Magnetecs and similar, it was all but required. However, newer multi-stage chargers with sophisticated digital charge management can be safely left on 24/7/365. My 2004 coach with a Xantrex RV2500 system was never unplugged for 12 years (except when actually driving).
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 11:12 AM   #6

I leave mine plugged in all the time, propped 3/4 stage chargers won’t dry batteries for months.

Do you know what model charger you have?
Old 05-10-2018, 12:41 PM   #7

Being an older model, i don't trust the coach's converter/battery charger to maintain the batteries correctly during long term storage. I used to just disconnect the batteries and then try to remember to charge every couple of months or so if it sat for that long. That worked ok but there was a time or two that i forgot and had a battery die.

Just recently, i decided to go a different route by doing like the OP and adding a timer. Only thing is, i bought a timer that can be set to come ON once a week. For now, i've set it to come on every Friday and shut off 12 hours later. Not sure how long the coach batteries need to charge but i do know that the separate charger going to the chassis battery needs at least a few hours before it shows charged. I doubt it would ever show charged if i only only ran it 15 minutes a day. The 12 hours gives it plenty of time and i figure it gives the converter/charger enough time to charge the coach batteries too.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:50 PM   #8

I leave mine plugged in all the time, check water levels monthly or so. Batteries will go dead fast on my trailer, even with disconnect.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by anakin View Post
I leave mine plugged in all the time and check the water level at least once per month.
X2! Except my entire battery bank are sealed lead acid batteries. The Xantrex RS2000(obsolete) works great maintaining the bank. Once a quarter I engage the equalization feature, often it determines the battery bank is fine and cuts short the equalization process.
I just looked today, is shows 0 charge, battery bank is at 13.7V. We've dry camped for 3 days without having to start the genset.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 04:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
X2! Except my entire battery bank are sealed lead acid batteries. The Xantrex RS2000(obsolete) works great maintaining the bank. Once a quarter I engage the equalization feature, often it determines the battery bank is fine and cuts short the equalization process.
I just looked today, is shows 0 charge, battery bank is at 13.7V. We've dry camped for 3 days without having to start the genset.

How are you at 13.7 with no charge input after 3 days?
Old 05-11-2018, 12:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clomok View Post
How are you at 13.7 with no charge input after 3 days?
Re-read, you missed the period ending the 13.7V sentence. The dry camping comment is a different sentence.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 12:45 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Re-read, you missed the period ending the 13.7V sentence. The dry camping comment is a different sentence.
lol I missed it too.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 12:46 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichR View Post
I leave mine plugged in all the time, check water levels monthly or so. Batteries will go dead fast on my trailer, even with disconnect.
The disconnect doesn't always disconnect everything. The sure bet is to unhook the negative cable. If you do that and they still go dead quickly it is time for new batteries.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries