Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2017, 06:01 PM   #15
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
Buy a class C. Have not had that problem since I bought my class C.

With my class A gasser I ran the chassis AC and had to run the generator and both AC units to be sorta cool up front.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2017, 06:08 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Why NOT run the generator - that's like saying I have a bed but don't want to use it
Old 10-10-2017, 06:19 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Problem is dash air directs air over you toward the rear of the RV. If you put a small fan or two behind you about 6 ft on the floor they will re direct the air back to you. Best of luck in travels.....Glenb
GlenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:29 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuki.Bruce View Post
Our dash air works well while driving, however, when in 100+ degree heat, I still get hot from the heat in the living area. I don't like running the generator to cool the whole coach when there are only the two of us up front. I am thinking about adding a curtain just behind the cockpit to keep the dash air up front. My problem is there is nothing solid to mount the curtain rod to the padded ceiling. I researched long pop rivets, but I don't want to buy 500 if I only need 20. Does anyone have any suggestions. Thanks.
Hello,
Please explain your aversion to running your generator and ac units. In a stick and brick and it's hot outside the ac is on cooling the entire house.

I'm also curious as to how long it takes to cool your coach once you reach your destination.

Safe travels,
Old 10-10-2017, 06:50 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Keeping cool while driving MH

We have used a long tension rod snug up against the slide and against the interior wall on the other side, works ok but at some point we just started using the the gen and house air because as others have stated you have a hard time catching up trying to cool the coach that has gotten really warm during your drive. Sometimes I have both going, dash and house.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:52 PM   #20

Damon Owners Club
I bought a 8 foot piece of the biggest wood dowel at Lowes, and two wood holders. This is the same material used in closets. Worked perfect, wife made a curtain out of an old but pretty bed spread comforter. Keeps the cockpit nice and cool. I still run the gen with one A/C running. She likes sitting in the back on real hot sunny days. But, I stay nice and cool up front, even with all the glass.
hawkeye1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:51 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuki.Bruce View Post
...I don't like running the generator to cool the whole coach when there are only the two of us up front....
I did the math, my generator uses less fuel than the dash air, which automatically turns on the big engine fan.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:18 AM   #22

For us, traveling in our ole big Dutch Star is the only way to go (convenience and comfort). And, part of the pleasure is that the whole house-on-wheels can be cooled by running the generator on the road (with two 15,000 btu air conditioners). Traveling, and arriving, in a already cooled house is really nice. For us, it's worth the money (it's not that MUCH more).
Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:51 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
True... on our previous 'upscale' 5'er with 2 ac's but without a genny, it was always horrible to get to a site, setup sweating, then go inside, and it be even hotter, turn the ac on and have to leave to give it hours to cool down !

Now with 3 ac's no more sweating, but the wife does have to have a blanket
Old 10-12-2017, 10:18 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Why NOT run the generator - that's like saying I have a bed but don't want to use it
I'm a bit confused as to why the OP wouldn't run the generator as well.
They can certainly do as they'd like, but it doesn't seem to make much sense to not just run the generator and cool the whole coach.
Blondiega1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 12:29 PM   #25

I can see where some people feel running the whole house ac is wasting cool air. After all, they only want a small space cooled up front.
I am sort of a frugal person to. But the older I get the more comfort means to me. Driving and getting to the campsite in an already cooled down RV really is nice. Sure it costs $$ to run the generator, but not running the dash ac offset some of that.
Plus, it gives my generator a good multi hour workout which is good as it does not get used much otherwise.
To each his own.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 12:40 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud Dancer View Post
For us, traveling in our ole big Dutch Star is the only way to go (convenience and comfort). And, part of the pleasure is that the whole house-on-wheels can be cooled by running the generator on the road (with two 15,000 btu air conditioners). Traveling, and arriving, in a already cooled house is really nice. For us, it's worth the money (it's not that MUCH more).
You don't say which engine you have in your DS but, but as noted above, my engine uses more fuel running the dash air than the generator does running two ACs. Do the numbers, it might not be costing you any more.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 06:41 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We use a small, about 12", oscillating fan set on the floor behind the PAX seat facing forward. This keeps the dog cool as well as it keeps the air moving up front. We do this until the outside temperature starts rising above 80. Then we turn on the generator and one of the ceiling A/Cs. By staying in front of the heat rise, it is easier to keep the MH cool. Once it gets heat soaked, it seems to take forever to cool it down.
rvbiker45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 07:11 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerboy View Post
We bought a couple shower curtain liners with real nice print scene of a tree in fall colors. I used a real fine string stretched from side to side just behind the seats. Had to use a support string in the middle to keep it from sagging. When slid open the string is almost invisible.
Found a pic;
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TREE curtain.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	179967