Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2010, 05:53 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Keeping mice out of the RV

Do any of you know how to keep mice from entering the RV? I have tried to find all the places where mice can enter the RV and the repairs I have made are suspect.

08 Dolphin on WorkHorse W24
LeeSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2010, 06:15 PM   #2

I have used Mothballs placed in paper (not plastic) bowls throughout my prior MHs. I started doing this after some visits by mice. I never had any repeat visits so I suppose it worked. I also used to use those Deer whistles on my front auto bumpers and never hit a Deer.
I have not used the Mothballs on my new to me Dynasty, the MH smells so great I don't want to chemical it up. I might be sorry.
Incidentally I did not mount the deer whistles on the Dynasty and did hit a Deer this past October.
I do believe the Mothballs Work but if you use them make sure to remove all of them and completely air out the Motor Home.
Robert
Old 01-25-2010, 06:50 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I have never had mice get into the living area of the coach nor inside any of the storage compartments. I have had mice crawl up the water inlet hose through the bottom circular access port to the service bay and make a heck of a mess with the roll of paper towels on numerous occasions. My fix was to buy the plastic container's of D-Con and place one in close proximity to the access port so they would have a feast waiting for them. No more shredded up paper towels. The only critters that I have to contend with occasionally on the inside are pesky flies, and ants. I spray for the ants and have a trusty fly swatter to annihilate the fly's.

One critter that I have been having real problems with are the local raccoons. They seem to like my engine compartment and have easy access to it. I've even found feces on the top of the engine head cover. There is a homemade shelf that goes the width of the rear of the coach at the very back of the engine, and they obviously spend a lot of time there as I usually find a lot of feces on the shelf. if someone has any ideas how I can rid myself of those critters besides shooting them, please let me know. Recently, I installed a 5 foot round sewer container that sits on that shelf and the raccoons haven't been around in a long time due to the winter weather so maybe the container will deter them from jumping up on the shelf and then going higher onto the engine head cover and then again maybe not.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:50 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoCal View Post
Do any of you know how to keep mice from entering the RV? I have tried to find all the places where mice can enter the RV and the repairs I have made are suspect.
I read a suggestion to use the "Bounce" dryer sheets to keep out mice. I started doing it last year. No mice (but then I didn't have them before). You just buy a box and put them everywhere (in drawers, cabinets, shelves, basement). Something about the fragrance I guess.

Assuming they work (and they seem to), there are some nice advantages: 1. they are cheap 2. they are non toxic (nice if you have pets) and 3. they smell nice, too.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:49 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
LAst summer we had a mice problem & I set out the poison blocks and traps. I caught 2 mice but my wife continued to hear & find signs of mice in the RV. We also read about the dryer sheets. My wife bought a box of 200 sheets and was surprised to have used them all by putting them everwhere she could in and ouside the RV. After that we no longer heard or found any sign of mice. We were parked next to an old tobacco barn on an old tobacco farm. I am sure there were many more mice in the near vicinity, but no more in the RV.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:45 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Our Motorhome sets out on the side of the barn. Over ten years ago I started using bar bait, mouse killer, I use it in the barn and outside. Take a coffee can and drill a 1" hole in it, put some bar bait in the can. Check your can in a week or so. the coffee can keeps your other animals out of it. Have not had a problem sence i started with the bait. good luck.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:45 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I had mice make a nest, ON TOP OF a sheet of Bounce. I've now got a couple of those electronic repellants in the rig. I used them for the first time last year and had much less of a problem than in past years, but still had food stores and nest evidence in the basement area of our motor home. This year I've placed one in the basement area. It's either been buried under 4' snow drifts or too bone chillingly cold for me to get into to it since about mid November. I'll let you know in another month or two...
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 04:08 PM   #8

We have been using those electronic devices as well. Parked inside with power connected full time (a 15 amp service). Western Washington, so we don't get the hard and cold winter just the occassional rain shower . We have had great success using these inexpensive repellent contraptions.
Dwain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:16 PM   #9
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Be very careful of moth balls as the fumes can be toxic to animals and humans. Ingestion or repeated exposure can be fatal. Search on the words mothball fumes.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:36 PM   #10

X2 for mouse/rat poison placed in places where no other animal has access. Raccoons are a problem everywhere since fur prices dropped drastically decades ago. I discovered they like rat poison, and it has the same effect.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:40 PM   #11

Spearmint oil on cotton balls inside plastic baggies works for us and it smells great.
VCBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:11 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have tried all previous mention methods and now only use the wire spring mouse traps.
Had caught 12 mice last winter and only one so far this winter while traveling.
Load trigger with peanut butter will get them every time.
Prior to this had mice in cabinet above Micro, one caught and fried in furnace and a couple in insulation next to fridge.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:19 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VCBandit View Post
Spearmint oil on cotton balls inside plastic baggies works for us and it smells great.
I am assuming the baggies are closed to prevent the oil mess, but does the smell come through the plastic? Joe
Old 02-02-2010, 09:27 PM   #14

Keeping mice out of the RV

How about a cat? Anybody tried that?

Jim
Pairajays is offline   Reply With Quote