Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2017, 06:08 PM   #43

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Some models don't have the date code.

Out of 7 extinguishers that I have, only 2 were on the list, both from PWCs. The 3rd PWC, the RV, the ATV trailer, the garage, and the house were all ok.

Curious to see if the 2 replacement units will fit into the PWC compartments.

Amazingly, there are still a ton of these exact units, both new and used, for sale on eBay.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2017, 07:32 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicRT View Post
So are there any firefighters or other experts out there who can recommend the best quality brand out there for small portable extinguishers? Cost is not a factor. Amerex maybe?

I can't really see replacing my cheapo defective units with same brand cheapo units even if they're free.
Kidde isn't considered a "cheap" fire extinguisher. It is all relative, just like anything else. These fire extinguishers are the "disposable" level. When we were shopping coaches and then discussing "needs", a better fire extinguisher was among then. A fire extinguisher with a plastic head assembly (and almost all make them) cannot be serviced or refilled. The valve assembly cannot be disassembled to be cleaned after use, plus without a threaded nozzle, it cannot be re-pressurized. Since the head assembly is plastic, the spring to hold the valve closed also is just a tad stronger than the minimum needed to hold it closed, and isn't strong enough to always seal the valve when the handle released. That is the part that is responsible for the recall. Once you depress the handle, a majority of the time, the extinguisher continued at discharge at a reduced rate until empty, meaning you can't go back 30 seconds later to suppress a re-flash. These have a very simple purpose. Either put out a small fire or provide enough suppression to escape. Evidently, as with most items, the uninformed public, backed by ambulance chasers, are forcing a product that performs to intent and purpose. Knowing this, I added two more to my coach. One is in the mud room and the other is in the compartment where I have my roadside stuff.
The second part of having an extinguisher is knowing how to properly use it AND its limitations. I upgraded the fire extinguishers in our patrol cars from 2 1/2 lbs to 10 lbs. About 6 months later, I got a memo from three officers wanting them to be upgraded to 20 lbs, or a second 10 lb added. They stated that the three had responded to a car fire and the extinguishers they had were insufficient. I pulled video and found out that they had put 37 1/2 lbs of powder on the asphalt under the car. I then scheduled everybody for "hands on, live fire" training. In the meantime, I responded to a kitchen fire. When I went in, the entire stove area and cabinets above were burning. With a 5 lb extinguisher, I was able to put out the stove and knock the cabinets down, retreat for 30 seconds to breathe and went back in and finished.
You can do a lot with a small amount of powder, if you know how to use it AND you have a decent bit of luck. You would be surprised how many think any powder extinguisher will put out a single truck tire.

Like was stated by a wise man once upon a time, "A mans gotta know his limitations.".

BTW, my replacement for the coach interior will be Halon.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:44 PM   #45
Community Moderator

i have one on recall. it has no date code. when i called them, they didn't ask for date code, but just the first model no. and serial no. that's it. they will send a replacement. upon arrival in 15 days, i should get an instruction on what to do with this one.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 12:08 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cover Dog View Post
Thanks, I have a larger #5 (2002) and an Elite 10 in the recall. The Elite came from the factory in our signature coach. Less then a 10 minute wait on the phone. Sending new ones in 15-20 days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang37 View Post
Same here, just got off a call with Kidde CS and my Elite 10/Elite 10 home model was not on the recall list. We could not identify a date code on the extinguisher. I gave them all the numbers I could find.
The Plot Thickens.... The rest of the story...

I noticed the above contradictory posts with interest as I also have a model E10 /E10H extinguisher.

1) When I called the Kidde # provided in the recall they said the model was not included - when i told them it was listed in the Canada listing as recalled they told me I had to contact / submit it to the Canada listing and gave me another phone # to call

2) I tried the CA # but could not get through after 35-40 min on hold gave up. Tried to enter it online (CA site) but It wouldn't accept me w/ a US address/Zip

3) Tried the US # again and explained the situation - said they could see the CA listing but could not process the claim as the model didn't show up on their listing. They gave me another # for Customer Service.

4) Called Customer Service at 1-800-848-2292 again explained the situation that it was supplied with a MH and I have no idea where the MH Mfg purchased parts from. Supplied the Model #, S/N & date code and agent processed the recall.

Attacehed are the CA & US listings - best advice is check both lists and if you live in US but have a unit on the CA list - call the above Customer Svc #.
If you live in CA you should also check the US list and use the Cust Svc # if you can't get satisfaction through the CA website / phone #
Attached Files
File Type: pdf US_Plastic+Handle+Product+ID+Guide.pdf (253.9 KB, 123 views)
File Type: pdf Canada+Plastic+Handle+ID+Guide.pdf (263.0 KB, 105 views)
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:29 PM   #47

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Just off the phone with Kidde CS rep. Based on the information on my fire extinguisher which is the Elite 10/Elite 10 home model. It is not included in the recall. Mine does have a plastic handle with a gauge.
We have the same one. The odd part of this is that our fire extinguisher comes from Kidde Canada Incorporated, and if you choose Canada on the Kidde website it shows that the E10/E10H is part of the Canadian recall list. When I called the US toll free number they told me I had to call the Canadian side, and when I called the Canadian side I was told I had to call the US. The gentleman in Canada will research further and get back to me.

Lynn
Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:36 PM   #48

Quote:
Just off the phone with Kidde CS rep. Based on the information on my fire extinguisher which is the Elite 10/Elite 10 home model. It is not included in the recall. Mine does have a plastic handle with a gauge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steele View Post
We have the same one. The odd part of this is that our fire extinguisher comes from Kidde Canada Incorporated, and if you choose Canada on the Kidde website it shows that the E10/E10H is part of the Canadian recall list. When I called the US toll free number they told me I had to call the Canadian side, and when I called the Canadian side I was told I had to call the US. The gentleman in Canada will research further and get back to me.

Lynn
RE the E-10 model - It is on the Canada recall - Here's another # to call
see this thread post #34
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:39 PM   #49

Good to know, I'll need to round up the ones I have. Thank you for the updates
Donright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:50 PM   #50

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
RE the E-10 model - It is on the Canada recall - Here's another # to call
see this thread post #34
Fantastic! Thanks for the link to the other thread!

Lynn
Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 06:45 AM   #51

Quote:

...Customer Service at 1-800-848-2292 again explained the situation that it was supplied with a MH...
Same scenario: US address with a Canadian branded Elite 10. Called the number above. Told them the run-around story of US customer service saying to call Canada, Canada saying to call US and the inability to gain access through their website with a US address and a Canadian extinguisher. They took care of sending the new one right then and there. They also said they will look into the website dead-end. They were unaware of it.

Thank you, Winemaker2 for sharing your information. It has already helped at least one, with several more to follow, I'm sure.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:49 AM   #52

Found 3 of mine are recalled, 2 on boat and 1 in RV. Registered all 3 for recall this past weekend. Haven't heard anything from Kidde yet.
Oldchief1544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:51 AM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
The Plot Thickens.... The rest of the story...

I noticed the above contradictory posts with interest as I also have a model E10 /E10H extinguisher.

1) When I called the Kidde # provided in the recall they said the model was not included - when i told them it was listed in the Canada listing as recalled they told me I had to contact / submit it to the Canada listing and gave me another phone # to call

2) I tried the CA # but could not get through after 35-40 min on hold gave up. Tried to enter it online (CA site) but It wouldn't accept me w/ a US address/Zip

3) Tried the US # again and explained the situation - said they could see the CA listing but could not process the claim as the model didn't show up on their listing. They gave me another # for Customer Service.

4) Called Customer Service at 1-800-848-2292 again explained the situation that it was supplied with a MH and I have no idea where the MH Mfg purchased parts from. Supplied the Model #, S/N & date code and agent processed the recall.

Attacehed are the CA & US listings - best advice is check both lists and if you live in US but have a unit on the CA list - call the above Customer Svc #.
If you live in CA you should also check the US list and use the Cust Svc # if you can't get satisfaction through the CA website / phone #
Just a heads up: the US list you show is incomplete. There are an additional 8 models, used mainly on PWC, that are also included.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 01:17 PM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I have the same issue with my Kidde that came thru Winnebago having a Canadian sticker on it. I assume that the factory has boxes of ones labeled for Canada and others labeled for USA and that they make mistakes as to which box they pull out of for a particular rig. PITA !
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 06:14 PM   #55

Winnebago Owners Club
Received both of my replacement ones today. Was to receive a #5 and an Elite 10. Got two #5 er’s. Called and they said just keep the extra #5.

Packaged up the 2 that had to go back. Attached the pre-paid shipping labels and off to a fedX shipping store. Upon arrival I was told they cannot accept them, need to call 800 fedX. They have to be taken to a FedX terminal not a FedX shipping store.

Going to call and see if they can be picked up at our house. Closest terminal is 45 miles away. PITA.
NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA 455593, WIT 170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:31 AM   #56
IC2

Three of our four FC110 units are on the recall list and the 4th, surprisingly not. I'm waiting for the three to show up but that 4th one I replaced for about $20 and will cart the suspect one off to the dump. I do like the disposable extinguishers for the TV and RV but the ones in the S&B are the refillable metal handle and nozzle.

Not going to be happy if I have to take the returns to a FedEx terminal though as neither locally ..... are very 'local'.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire, recall