Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2017, 04:27 PM   #85

40 million going back to 1973 is a lot however I would suspect the majority of them are long gone in a landfill somewhere and then many wont even hear about the recall and of those that do there will be many that still don't do it for one reason or another. They may be thinking of a 10-25% replacement number not anywhere near the full 100% which is still a lot but nothing near what it could be.

I think the bigger problem with takata is they went bankrupt. They were bought out but they are only making about 25% of the airbags the rest are being made by competitors but it takes a while to make 125 million airbags and keep up with the regular production. The competition certainly isn't going to ramp up new facilities to produce more for a one time blip that isn't their doing (think supply and demand price of airbags is probably going up in new vehicles). Automakers have no real skin in the game (they would much rather have airbags for new cars to sell than replace them on already sold cars) and I doubt they will be on the hook for lawsuits if they cant get the bags to replace them in a timely fashion Unless the automakers are found to be complicit or something like that knowingly putting in faulty airbags. With takata going bankrupt they are probably out of the picture for lawsuits as well cant get money from a nonexistent company especially one with no cash. Sort of like the fridge in your trailer, the trailer maker does not warranty the fridge the fridge maker does, fridge maker goes out of business oh well your problem now. I realize auto warranties are different than trailers but they do have warranty agreements on anything they have outsourced sometimes it is on them and sometimes it is on the component manufacturer depends on the agreement even though the automaker takes care of it for the customer on the whole vehicle except certain things like batteries and tires which the automakers do not (usually) warranty.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2017, 10:56 AM   #86

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Finally received my 2nd (of 2) replacement. The first took just under 2 weeks, the 2nd took 4 weeks! Not sure why the difference, since they were both "ordered" at the same time, during the same phone conversation with Kidde, and were both the same model.

In any case, they came out of 2 of my 3 PWCs, and the new ones won't fit, so I still have to purchase a couple (different brand; 1st Alert makes a couple that WILL fit). The first replacement went in my enclosed trailer and the 2nd will go in the RV bedroom.

Scary thing is that there is still a ton of these recalled PWC units, both new and used, for sale on eBay!
4x4van is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:51 PM   #87
IC2

Still waiting for my 3rd one, now 4 weeks. I found another but will wait a while for the initial crush/Xmas shipping to finish then put in a request as that one is for my sleeping TV
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 04:40 PM   #88

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I applied for all 3 of mine on the day of the recall announcement and just got the third last Friday. All three have been returned and picked up free.
noeldale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:20 PM   #89

It has only been two weeks since I ordered mine. I will cut them a little slack and give them to Monday. If I don't have it by then, I'm calling whatshisname at CW.

Now they know how to do customer service. (hee hee)
Old 12-07-2017, 04:25 AM   #90

Cool

I'd ordered 3 replacements. Like others, got the 1st one quickly, within 2 weeks. Yesterday, I received the 2nd, about 4 weeks after the 1st. The one I received yesterday was a larger model, with a short hose, than any that I'd listed for replacement but I'll use it. Still waiting on the 3rd.
Oldchief1544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:31 PM   #91
Community Moderator

i got mine after 5 weeks. the ship-back instruction and label are in the box. i used the same boxes for fedex pick-up. all is good.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 06:57 AM   #92
IC2

Got the third one yesterday - and it is an upgrade to a refillable/Pro Grade and a wee bit bigger unit. Unfortunately it wont fit the bracket so it will go in the truck and under the rear seat. Still need to request the 4th one but after the usual holiday shipping 'disaster'
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 03:00 PM   #93

I just got an email saying my model is back ordered and will take a while.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:08 PM   #94

Winnebago Owners Club
I've just received the replacement for my unit this afternoon. It was filed on 11-14. When packed up the old unit in the boxes that the new unit came in slapped on the included Fedex Prepaid label and called Fedex for pickup. Couldn't be any easier. Here is a copy of the enclosed instructions for anyone that hasn't received them yet to review.

Alan
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Kidde Fire Extinguisher11122017-2.pdf (2.45 MB, 40 views)
TriGlider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 02:28 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
I just got an email saying my model is back ordered and will take a while.
Me too. Waiting for 3 replacements.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:53 PM   #96

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
After about 2 weeks since I contacted Kidde, my one and only replacement arrived today.
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 12:57 PM   #97

Rec'd my 3rd and final replacement fire extinguisher today. Overall, its taken about 6 weeks to get all 3 replaced.
Oldchief1544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 03:13 AM   #98

I ordered mine Thanksgiving day and it arrived Tuesday. The bracket that came with it isn’t a vehicle bracket but it will probably fit.

Tags
fire, recall