Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2017, 05:11 AM   #99

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Smokyjoe
I keep 1 by the captains chair ,1 by the door,1 in the kitchen,1 in the closet in the bathroom, 1 in the bedroom,1 in the basement by the door and 1 in the trunk of the car. Had to use the 1 by the door 2 weeks ago when the brakes on the tow locked up and caught fire due to a garage that shorten my brake cable without my knowledge.

36' Diesel
Smokyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2017, 05:07 PM   #100

Update: Got all three of mine today. What great service! Kudos to Kidde!
Old 12-19-2017, 01:13 PM   #101

Got my replacement today. Easy peazy. It fit the existing bracket. It included a return label for FedX with good instructions. FedX will pick it up at my house. Used the same shipping packaging the new one came in. Total cost = about 15 inches of packing tape to reseal the box.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 01:50 PM   #102

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
Just remembered to call and my replacement will be here in 20 days!! Thanks for the information!
Old 12-19-2017, 03:21 PM   #103

Anyone know if the old recalled extinguishers MUST be returned? Yes I know you simply put the old one in the bos the new one came in and call FedEx for pickup... still wondering if return is mandatory? I can't image they're keeping track of who received new ones and if they returned the old ones.
Old 12-19-2017, 04:36 PM   #104

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper Ken View Post
Anyone know if the old recalled extinguishers MUST be returned? Yes I know you simply put the old one in the bos the new one came in and call FedEx for pickup... still wondering if return is mandatory? I can't image they're keeping track of who received new ones and if they returned the old ones.
Why would you want to keep the old ones? As a "backup"? While I doubt it's "mandatory" they're doing the right thing by replacing them at no charge to you. In some cases, such as mine, they are replacing an extinguisher that is 12 years old, or older, and technically "dead".
Send them back. It's the right thing to do.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 04:58 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
Why would you want to keep the old ones? As a "backup"? While I doubt it's "mandatory" they're doing the right thing by replacing them at no charge to you. In some cases, such as mine, they are replacing an extinguisher that is 12 years old, or older, and technically "dead".
Send them back. It's the right thing to do.
[emoji106] [emoji106] agree
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 05:57 PM   #106

Got my new one on friday. Fedex picked up the old one monday. New one fit in the old bracket
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 05:08 PM   #107

Monaco Owners Club
Last one back to sender today, 3 of 3.

LEN
Old 12-27-2017, 09:39 AM   #108
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
has anyone received the new unit yet? i called them on nov 2, the rep told me within about 15 days i should receive the replacement. well, 3 weeks have past still nothing. i am eager to move, but this sticks me here.

i called them again, they asked for my recall record id. but at the first call on nov 2, the rep didn't give me an id so i don't have it. this rep said then she couldn't do anything about it unless we start it over. she said i could call kidde cs they could search by my name and address. well, i called, 30 minutes on the phone waiting, kidde cs no one picks up the phone... what a business.
This has been my experience as well. Started the process on 3 November and was told it would take a week to 10 days to receive the replacement. Called several times with the same story, lost my info had to start over. I have started over 3 times and still no replacement. Good news that some have received their replacement, as for me I gave up. My replacement that I will purchase won't be a Kiddie.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 10:26 AM   #109

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSkyBob View Post
This has been my experience as well. Started the process on 3 November and was told it would take a week to 10 days to receive the replacement. Called several times with the same story, lost my info had to start over. I have started over 3 times and still no replacement. Good news that some have received their replacement, as for me I gave up. My replacement that I will purchase won't be a Kiddie.
My experience too. Filed online for replacements on Nov 2. Around Dec 6 I called since others were receiving their replacements. I was told there was a backlog but I would receive mine by Dec 15. That date came and went. I called on Dec 22 and was told a customer service rep would call me back in 4 to 5 business days. With the holiday the clock is still ticking on that one. Don't understand what the problem is.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:52 AM   #110

Spartan Chassis
Got all 4 of mine and they fit the old holders. Filled out the return paperwork, put old ones (two were over 20 years old) in the box, and called FedEx. The next morning FedEx picked up my old ones. How easy is that? Took about 6 weeks from the time I first registered.

Some of you are not going to like this but I have to say it anyway!
Please allow me to see this through Kidde's eyes as a company. They are replacing, I have heard 12,000,000 (that's MILLION) fire extinguishers. I will be very surprised if it doesn't bankrupt the company. I bet they didn't have to make the replacement offer, especially for all the ones that are out of date, but being a reputable company they did the right thing. Now we are bad mouthing them for doing the right thing and complaining about their not replacing our extinguishers in 2 weeks. How many years worth of production are they replacing? I have heard numbers of up to 20 years worth. Can we expect a company to manufacture 20 years worth of equipment in 2 weeks? I hardly think so! It is my guess that Kidde is running their production line 24 hours a day 7 days a week with no Christmas break trying to get them to us as fast as humanly possible. Can't we just give them a break?

As for those of you that don't understand why you have to go to all the trouble of putting your old extinguishers in a box and calling FedEx to pick them let's look at the request from Kidde's perspective. During my working career if we had to recall a product we wanted to get everything back we could, put it in the lab, and find out what we did wrong so we could do a better job the next time.

Also for those who want to keep the old ones as a spare how many of you would jump on a class action lawsuit if your "spare" that had already been declared defective by Kidde malfunctioned when you were trying to put out a fire in your kitchen and your RV went up in flames? A few decades ago when we didn't live in such a litigious society Kidde would probably have allowed to us keep the old ones and as someone has mentioned earlier in this forum Kidde can't really do anything to us if we don't return our old ones. But that request will go a long way in court when they are defending themselves against that class action lawsuit I mentioned earlier.

Can't we, for once, not be so concerned about "ME" and think, just for a couple of seconds, about the other guy?

OK, you may now crucify me for my outrageous comments!

Off my soapbox.

rag_ftw
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 11:50 AM   #111

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Also, it seems to me a that if the requirement to return the old one was not there, what would prevent me from requesting a replacement even if I had never owned one in the first place? Kidde has enough trouble processing legitimate requests let alone having to deal with fraud as well.
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 11:54 AM   #112

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by rag_ftw View Post
Please allow me to see this through Kidde's eyes as a company. ... Now we are bad mouthing them for doing the right thing and complaining about their not replacing our extinguishers in 2 weeks. ...Can't we just give them a break?
...rag_ftw
Now let's look at this through the customer's eyes. Customer submits claim form on Nov 2. Kidde replies saying to expect delivery within 15-20 business days. Delivery window passes. Other folks who filed later already have their replacements. Customer calls. Kidde says delivery by Dec 15. Doesn't happen. Now waiting for a call back. Delivery expectations were those provided by Kidde, not the customer. Customer (me, anyway) would rather see a company under promise and over deliver rather than make unrealistic commitments.

Tags
fire, recall