Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2021, 07:20 PM   #1

Kitchen, street side or curb side?

Good question. So just my opinion of course, but why do people like the inside kitchen on the same side as the awning or camping side ? It seems it leaves no window space on that side so you can't see what's going on out there like grilling or campfire, friends hanging out etc.... Why have all your windows on the side looking at your neighbors? A lot of class A seem to be this way, not quite as many 5r's. Am I missing something here or is it just mostly preference?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2021, 09:13 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
For many, the issue is more about where the dinette is, not the kitchen. Many don't want to look out the window at their neighbors campsite when the dinette is on the driver's side.

We're not big into cooking, so we don't spend a lot of time in the kitchen, trying to look out. We typically put our food in the oven and then go outside and visit with family or friends. If it's really cold out or we're camping by ourselves, we really don't care about looking outside while in the kitchen.

Another issue....with awnings, dark windows, tall coaches and interior wall space used for cabinets, refer, microwave, etc, the only real window that we can see out, is the windshield. We like to keep that open until it gets dark, which gives us a pretty good view of what's going on.

So......my answer..... kitchen/dinette location was never a huge factor in our floorplan choice.....just didn't care!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 09:29 PM   #3

I have had the kitchen on both sides in a Class A. Having the kitchen next to door is my preferred location. It is more convenient to be able to put the dishes, condiments, etc on the counter by just reaching inside the motorhome rather than having to walk inside to the opposite side with each arm full.
eddndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 09:32 PM   #4

RV MFG designers don't RV...just design on CAD (computers)

Dinette curbside.......nice window to look out
*course the view can include neighbors 'hookups'

Dinette roadside.....nice window to look out
*course you do get to watch the neighbors sitting outside under their awning (don't forget to Wave)

You're right kitchens rarely have any window and if they do it is small and you have too bend over to look out it

We cook alot in the kitchen and outside on BBQ
Our kitchen is 'U' shaped in middle ---no window
Living room at rear...dinette to the curbside in large slide...sofa bed to the roadside in small slide

We like that floorplan
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 09:35 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
I've probably got a unique take on this. We had 1 RV with the kitchen on the PS with a nice window to look out on our patio, 1 with the kitchen at the rear with a couple nice windows to look out the back (great when we backed up to woods or a lake view) & 2 with the kitchen on the DS with no windows.

Like Don mentioned, I didn't care where the kitchen was because I didn't cook much, but I did much prefer my dinette being on the PS to look out on my patio. Except for a few KOA's where the sites were so close not only did I look out on my patio, but I also looked out at my neighbor's sewer hook ups. Those I didn't prefer so much.
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 10:10 PM   #6

Some kitchens do have windows. and also if in the kitchen you can also see out of the living room window on that side. (Depends on your floorplan) However, I think it's more important where the dinette is and how the sites are laid out. If the dinette is on the patio side you could be looking at the neighbors hookups (and sitting outside at their hookups). Your neighbor could pick the wrong time to come out and dump his sewage.

Our dinette was on the driver's side and since we typically didn't use crowded RV parks but instead used public parks with lots of space and vegetation between sites or boondocking in the wilds, we didn't have to look at hookups and our neighbors were far enough away that we didn't bother each other.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 10:10 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Our new Dutch Star will have kitchen with large window on PS. The recliners and dinette/work table on DS. This gives us what we consider to be best viewing. While cooking or in recliners we will be looking at patio and door. While at workstation and table at view (hopefully) on DS. We're not worried about seeing neighbors as we hope to have more room around us where we camp.

It's really up to how you like the floor plan. The Newmar 4081 was near perfect for us.
For Fun: 2016 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat
DNies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 10:42 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Our dining table is on passenger side with 3 large windows. Perfect for watching what's going on with whatever is happening outside under the awning. We almost always camp with friends, so that works for us.

The kitchen is mainly on the drivers side just inside the door. We really like the floodplan in the 38J. My wife likes to cook and bake, so the large kitchen is a plus. There is a small window by the kitchen sink, but I have also changed to LED lights, so nice and bright.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160624_202720-EFFECTS.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	386.1 KB
ID:	319078   Click image for larger version

Name:	2008_Winnebago_Adventurer_38J.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	319082  

Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 04:47 AM   #9

U shaped kitchen in the middle, dinette cs, rear living, lots of windows, my wife wouldn't want it any other way. Another thing I like that you don't see to much anymore, my tv hides down in a cabinet so you have a nice view when you want but then just push a button and the tv pops up. It seems like a lot of floor plans now the tv is focal point and takes more precious wall space, less window.
This might be just 5r as I don't have or look at class A to much.
Old 02-24-2021, 06:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trvltrash View Post
U shaped kitchen in the middle, dinette cs, rear living, lots of windows, my wife wouldn't want it any other way. Another thing I like that you don't see to much anymore, my tv hides down in a cabinet so you have a nice view when you want but then just push a button and the tv pops up. It seems like a lot of floor plans now the tv is focal point and takes more precious wall space, less window.
This might be just 5r as I don't have or look at class A to much.
Not to start off on the wrong foot, but, if you haven’t looked at too many Class A’s how did you determine that a lot have the kitchen on the patio side?

If the patio side kitchen is more common, one might ask, do owners like it, or do they accept it because the coach offered other features that they considered to be more important.

My casual observations have been that as Class A’s go from 1 slide to 4, the first is typically a living room slide on the driver side followed by a second driver side slide in the bedroom. A third slide is often in the bedroom on the passenger side followed by a 4th slide being a large living area slide on the passenger side. The kitchen area can get quite heavy, with cabinets, counters and appliances. Combined with plumbing and electrical connections, it is sometimes considered the most challenging and least desirable area to put on a slide. Additionally, a patio slide will encroach on patio space and make basement access difficult.

In my opinion, those are some of the reasons why the kitchen would be located on the passenger side of a Class A coach, whether people like it or not.
Kid Gloves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 06:28 AM   #11
IC2

We have had TTs and 5th wheels with kitchens in about every possible location and don't really recall any negatives for any but a rear kitchen which with a towable, tends to get scrambled when traveling.

The current 5er has a 47x57 inch window, passenger side which allows a very nice view - that is of the underside of the much lowered awning or the side of the neighbor's rig. And if it's hot, the blinds are pulled. If it was on the opposite, driver's side, we might get a chance to see the neigbors doing whatever neighbors do or, again, the blinds on a hot day, might be closed.

It ends up, and just my opinion -is if a particular floor plan appeals to your needs, that kitchen location is no longer relevant
Old 02-24-2021, 07:45 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post

If the patio side kitchen is more common, one might ask, do owners like it, or do they accept it because the coach offered other features that they considered to be more .

In my opinion, those are some of the reasons why the kitchen would be located on the passenger side of a Class A coach, whether people like it or not.
One of my biggest concerns is the fridge venting. If the fridge is in a slide, the venting is compromised because the warm air has to go out the side, rather than out the roof. I suspect that is one reason for putting the kitchen on the passenger side.

Big slides on the drivers side are very popular.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 08:01 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned Tourist View Post
One of my biggest concerns is the fridge venting. If the fridge is in a slide, the venting is compromised because the warm air has to go out the side, rather than out the roof. I suspect that is one reason for putting the kitchen on the passenger side.

Big slides on the drivers side are very popular.
Venting would only be an issue for a propane refrigerator. Ours happens to have the kitchen on the driver’s side, on a slide, with the propane refrigerator on the passenger side, not on a slide.
Kid Gloves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 08:03 AM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Our dinette is driver side. Rear living design.

We pull the blinds if there is an issue with a neighbor. Only happened once in 10 years.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote