Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2016, 04:07 PM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
A good candidate for Darwin's Natural Selection Club!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Darwin Awards only go to those that permanently remove themselves from the gene pool. I don't think this qualifies for that.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2016, 04:36 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
I feel sorry for that guy.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 04:49 PM   #17

Looks like the air conditioner will need an adjustment.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:14 PM   #18

For Sale-
Class A gas coach- NEW ROOF and AC........
Old 08-12-2016, 05:16 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post

A good candidate for Darwin's Natural Selection Club!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post

Darwin Awards only go to those that permanently remove themselves from the gene pool. I don't think this qualifies for that.
That's why he is still a candidate and possibly later he'll qualify for the award!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 04:55 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by road dogs View Post
I carry one of those long fiberglass flexible tent poles that folds up. I have it marked with the height the tallest point of my 5th wheel plus a couple of inches so I can physically measure clearance of questionable underpasses. I also have a Garmin 760 RV GPS but I always try to use my eyes and brain to tell me if something's too low to try and go under.
Great idea! Thanks
Old 08-13-2016, 06:46 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by coupevilleDF View Post
And if you're in Canada, post the the info as metric too. When we are up there, I am constantly doing the conversation calculation. I may steal your idea and at least post the height and speed conversation table near the dashboard.

Thanks for the comment. Hopefully headed to Alaska next year and maybe Maritimes the following year. Might as well do metric and US when I have the new placards made.
Old 08-13-2016, 07:16 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
I feel sorry for that guy.
USMCRET
I do too!
I'll leave it up to the "perfect people", (aka: the "know-it-alls" who never make a mistake)... to make fun of those of us who sometimes do.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 08:14 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupevilleDF View Post
And if you're in Canada, post the the info as metric too. When we are up there, I am constantly doing the conversation calculation. I may steal your idea and at least post the height and speed conversation table near the dashboard.
I'd make the card with height, width and weight in both english and metric. That way you're covered in both the US and Canada.

Here is a device, GiraffeG4, that looks interesting. Showld work great for 5th wheels but may not work well on Class A's and some Class C's.

https://youtu.be/dacEayhoJZ4
Old 08-13-2016, 03:26 PM   #24

The decal on the rear left of center lets me believe it's a rental...
Old 08-13-2016, 04:37 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
He could have climbed that ladder and eyeballed it. Been there done that, although not on the highway.
JX
jasperxray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 04:38 PM   #26

Years ago when I was driving a truck, I had to make a delivery in upstate NY. I checked my route for restrictions (height and weight), and found none. About 4 miles from my delivery point, I saw a sign that said 12’ 6” clearance 1 mile ahead. I stopped, checked my Rand McNally, and it showed no 12’ 6” restriction ahead, so I continued on my way.

Almost 1 mile exactly I cave to an overpass with a sign on it that said 12’ 6”. I stopped, set my parking brake and turned on my emergency flashers. I got out and looked at the overpass, looked at my truck, and it looked like I could make it. While I was looking a Deputy Sheriff pulled up behind me and turned on his lights. He walked up to me and asked what the problem was. I told him and he agreed it looked like I could make it.

We were there about 5-10 minutes when a State Trooper pulled up and asked what the problem was. We told him and he said “The clearance was really 13’ 6””. I asked him why it was marked 12’ 6”. He said it was marked that way for when it snowed, all the over passes and all other things that crossed over the were marked that way.

What a stupid rule! I would not be be driving if there was a foot of snow on the rd.
Pickelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 04:44 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
IMO the fellow may be judged by a group that has yet to be judged. I just hope I do not have a mental hiccup that lands me in a similar situation. All it takes is a seconds inattention.
Old 08-13-2016, 09:37 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
I have been nervous going under overpasses that look low, but are not marked with clearances.

Is there a national law that overpasses under a certain height have to be marked with the feet clearance
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote