Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2020, 08:45 AM   #1

KOA Cancellation Fee - Dirty move!!!

So it appears KOA is prepared to play a little dirty pool during the COVID Pandemic. I am a long time Value Card Rewards member. Over the years I have had very few cancellations of my reservations, but when I have I always appreciated the waiver of the cancellation fee for their members.

I was gobsmacked today when I was forced to cancel a reservation due to the closure of International Borders resulting from a worldwide pandemic and KOA had the nerve to charge me a $10 cancellation fee. I reached out to the specific KOA and they told me it was as a result of a change to corporate policy.

Seriously, financially capitalizing on a crisis of this magnitude. What a dirtbag move KOA!!!

2020 Fleetwood Bounder 35P / 2015 Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2020, 09:02 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald One View Post
So it appears KOA is prepared to play a little dirty pool during the COVID Pandemic. I am a long time Value Card Rewards member. Over the years I have had very few cancellations of my reservations, but when I have I always appreciated the waiver of the cancellation fee for their members.

I was gobsmacked today when I was forced to cancel a reservation due to the closure of International Borders resulting from a worldwide pandemic and KOA had the nerve to charge me a $10 cancellation fee. I reached out to the specific KOA and they told me it was as a result of a change to corporate policy.

Seriously, financially capitalizing on a crisis of this magnitude. What a dirtbag move KOA!!!
KOA is the second only to CW in terms of customer ambivalence......so sorry that you had to deal with this but the best revenge is to just move on to another vendor!

Best of luck
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 09:05 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
1 [Mod Edit] = 1,000 atta-boys

We had a 3 week reservation at a KOA and have already paid for it. We do this so that we can take care of known expenses and budget for them. We called the KOA owners and asked it we could move the reservation form this year to next. They explained that the rates may change, but we knew that was possible before we called. We like the location of the KOA and want to see them stay in business so that we can stay there in future.

The $10 cancellation fee seems rather petty and short sighted. For a very small short term income, they are risking loosing a reliable repeat customer.
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 09:44 AM   #4

At the beginning of this Corona thing I also cancelled reservations at a private rv park.i was charged $10 also.
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 10:37 AM   #5

I don't think the $10 cancellation fee is new or related to COVID. I've been charged that in the past even with the Kard. I had a cancellation about a year ago because a scheduled appointment changed. I was ready to eat the cancellation fee, but they offered to reschedule for no extra. That worked out fine. I dealt directly with the campground.

When you cancel a state park reservation you loose your reservation fee. To me, this seems to be about the same.
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:00 AM   #6

I had 7 KOA stops that I had to cancel due to the virus. All but one of them kept $10 as a cancellation fee. I may look elsewhere when I rebook the trip for next year.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:23 AM   #7

KOA......
Keep On Adding (as in prices)

$10 Cancellation fee is spelled out on the KOA FAQs

https://koa.com/contact-us/faqs/8/801/

Seems not a COVID-19 issue
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:24 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I do not see the big deal with a measly $10 fee.....this is quite common for most private parks. Some even charge you the entire first night fees to cancel. Some will keep your entire paid fees if you cancel.

When we cancel a Federal or State res, they charge a fee as well.

I just move on and accept it as the cost of enjoying my rv life. It is not worth it to me to get worked up about it. Life is too short.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
I do not see the big deal with a measly $10 fee.....this is quite common for most private parks. Some even charge you the entire first night fees to cancel. Some will keep your entire paid fees if you cancel.

When we cancel a Federal or State res, they charge a fee as well.

I just move on and accept it as the cost of enjoying my rv life. It is not worth it to me to get worked up about it. Life is too short.
Well I guess if I had your money I would be ok with it too. I work for every dollar I earn and don’t appreciate people taking advantage.

I did not cancel because I changed my plans. I cancelled because I can not enter the United States due to the Border being closed. If KOA is going to take $10 out of every cross border reservation then they stand to profit millions. Those “measly” charges are going to add up quickly and the longer this stretches out the greater the cost will be.

And to your final paragraph... That is the point, none of us are currently “enjoying their RV Life!”

2020 Fleetwood Bounder 35P / 2015 Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:51 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
I don't think KOA is getting filthy rich on $10 cancellation fees. Covid-19 has crippled their business so I would not begrudge them this pittance. As stated above, some campgrounds (and many hotels) charge the first night's fee when cancelling.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:51 AM   #11

Hobbies are expensive........
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 12:02 PM   #12

KOA has had this cancellation fee for years. I have had great results with changing dates rather than cancelling reservations, no fees. I have had to change 3 trip reservations I made in January for trips in April, May and June due to the various states involved (PA, VT and NH). The park owners have all been extremely understanding and helpful in re-scheduling these trips.
Hopefully having moved my trips to VT and NH to July and August will allow these states to start letting "non-resident" RVers back in (a policy I consider to be pretty stupid, especially with NH allowing hotels, motels and B&B's to re-open to "non-residents" as of last week). Both are still currently restricted against non-resident RVers.
The PA trip I moved to Sept. and actually could have gone down there last month as those campgrounds were reopened.
Going direct to the park owners rather than cancelling to change dates (if you can) is the way to go.
Old 06-03-2020, 12:02 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
The KOA $10 cancellation fee is not a new thing. It's been there for a year or 2.

Jerry
Old 06-03-2020, 12:08 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
It has been there for at least 5 years. I did just notice that if you are a VIP member then it may be waived depending on each campground or dates assuming the 48 hour notice.