Koni FSD’s installed
I just put Koni FSD’s on our 2017 Ford F53 22,000 pound chassis.
The install went pretty well; about two hours. I did have a pretty good impact wrench for loosening/tightening. All the bolts were 1 1/8”. I only had one socket that size. So I also used a 30 mm socket, not perfect but it did work. One or two spots were tricky to reach but solved with either an extension or in one case I had to use an adjustable wrench.
The next day we went for a test drive. It does feel better. The sharp edge on bumps is softened. My wife commented that “it used to feel two sizes too big and now feels the right size”. Overall just a little smoother and nicer to drive.
The shocks I took off were original, but not gas charged. I did “play” with the Konis and sort of felt with a sudden push on the shock shaft that it would compress more easily than a slower push.
So far to this chassis I have done CHF, rear SuperSteer track bar, and alignment checked. I still have yet to weigh it, I know that is important but I have just not gotten to it.
I will drive a few trips, and then start to consider if quad shocks may help. I do feel it would be an expensive experiment to buy 4 more Konis. I suppose I could start with the original shocks added side by side to the Konis.
2018 Thor Hurricane 34J; CHF, SuperSteer rear track bar, Koni FSD
2009 Yamaha Vino 125, 2017 DaVinci Tandem [bicycle for two