Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2008, 01:47 PM   #1
kr

I KNOW THIS MUST BE AN OLD SUBJECT BUT CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW TO GET THE KWIKEE STEPS DOWN WHEN THE MOTOR IS GONE. NEED TO GET IN AND OUT UNTIL I CAN GET TO MY SERVICE.

THANKS TO ANYONE WHO CAN HELP
kr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2008, 01:47 PM   #2
kr

I KNOW THIS MUST BE AN OLD SUBJECT BUT CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW TO GET THE KWIKEE STEPS DOWN WHEN THE MOTOR IS GONE. NEED TO GET IN AND OUT UNTIL I CAN GET TO MY SERVICE.

THANKS TO ANYONE WHO CAN HELP
kr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:47 AM   #3

Are you sure the motor is gone? They are notorious for not working because of a bad ground. There are two ground wires to check. Call Kwikee techsupport. They are very helpful.
Rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:39 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
On the door jam there are a couple of small dots (perhaps the size of quarter...
take a magnet and rub across one or both and the steps should come down or up

2005 Dolphin
Gdlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 12:16 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If the motor is truly gone, there is a way, not necessarily an easy one. With either the four wire connector to the control board removed or the fuse feeding the main power source(there are actually 3 fuses in the step wiring), look under the retracted steps. There is a large round pin, held in place by a cotter pin. If you take those out, you will be able to get the steps to drop. In that position, there will be a lot of pressure on the big pin so getting it out isn't easy. If you can somehow cycle the steps to half way done, that same pin comes out quickly and easily.

To easily determine if the motor is truly shot, there is a plug between it and the controller. I'd physically remove the motor and use jumper wires to feed it directly from a 12 volt battery. Leaving the motor on the steps and trying to feed 12 volts to it could be very dangerous. In fact, I treat the whole step mechanism with a lot of respect anytime that I get near it.

P.S. I just had mine all apart, replaced a bad controller and rewired it without all the spices that had been put into the feed wires and door switch wires. I don't know if someone had problems or what but I've never seen wiring with so many breaks in just a short span.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 01:53 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you can get the motor out you can find a replacement at NAPA it is a power window motor from a Ford product.
John Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 06:06 PM   #7

Mine sometimes stop extending also. I have found that if I loosten the three bolts on the circular piece next to the motor, the binding loostens and the steps will work again. Maybe once every 3 or 4 months, less than 10 minutes effort. A tech from Kwickee told me I could buy a kit to add a thrust washer to the motor for around $50. Haven't needed to yet. Good luck, HarveyP

Cummins/Allison
HarveyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 10:48 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Wayne:
If you can get the motor out you can find a replacement at NAPA it is a power window motor from a Ford product. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That all depends on what year it was made kwikee has since 1999 till now used 5 different power window motors on there steps.
DESERTFOX19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:30 AM   #9

Kwikee Website

Kwikee Tech Info

Here's few troubleshooting tips:

The slightest bind will by design stop the motor.

If the step light is operating this indicates the controller is ok.

Disconnect and clean contacts on 4-prong and power connectors. Use a good electrical contact cleaner. (Radio Shack)

Pull clevis pin and lube all pivot points. The steps must move freely otherwise the controller will interrupt the power.

It that doesn't work, pull the motor it is held in place by 3 eleven millimeter hex screws.

If these tips don't work call Kwikee. They are great people to work with.

Good luck

Jim

'06 Allegro 32 BA (Ford)
Jim Martin PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 02:46 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You can go on Kwikee's web site and download a copy of there training PDF that shows how to troubleshoot the steps.

Had the same problem last week and it turned out to be a binding motor. Loosened the 3 bolts holding the motor to the gear box then tightened them and everything works as advertised. Just rember to disconnect the 4 pin connector when working under the steps. If the steps move you could be injured!!
ROMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 12:49 PM   #11

Location: Atlanta, GA. , South Beach, FL. Naples, Fl , Coral Gables,FL.
Great customer service people to deal with.
george henry is offline   Reply With Quote