Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2021, 12:20 PM   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorman1 View Post
As a new person here I will tell you a thing that drives people away:

It is asking a question and getting a flippant answer that was a waste of the time the poster spent writing it and the time the questioner spent reading it.

No one makes members on forums read and post stuff and there are lots of places to post on the internet. If you don't want to provide help just move on or go start a Facebook battle.
So you don't like it if someone wants to interject a little humor into a thread?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2021, 12:28 PM   #142

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
So you don't like it if someone wants to interject a little humor into a thread?

We get good advice here as well as bad, and we do get the occasional sarcasm or attempt at humor. It's all good. I appreciate the commentary as much as the advice and wisdom that's shared here.
Old 07-08-2021, 12:58 PM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorman1 View Post
As a new person here I will tell you a thing that drives people away:

It is asking a question and getting a flippant answer that was a waste of the time the poster spent writing it and the time the questioner spent reading it.

No one makes members on forums read and post stuff and there are lots of places to post on the internet. If you don't want to provide help just move on or go start a Facebook battle.

No one should be made to feel bad about asking a question. I think part of the problem with forums is things can come across as different than intended. I need to constantly remind myself to keep this in mind when responding.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 01:39 PM   #144

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We have all types on this form; go out of my way too help you, the engineers, sugar coater, mad at the world, the world owes me something, net it out, i'l give you way to much details, don't correct me, correct me if I say anything wrong, I know everything, I will ask for help before I open the manual, etc...

I think when you come to our sand box with a mix like this you need to ware your thick skin and realize some people take it personal.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 01:40 PM   #145

Quote:
I am 100% positive I said nothing about humor. Unless you feel flippant and funny are same thing.

But maybe you quoting me and you reply is and I didn't get either the flip or funny
sailorman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 01:53 PM   #146

I don't think more "thank you's" are going to fix this thread. JMO
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 02:04 PM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsutherland View Post
astrnmrtom.....Very well said
I'll 2nd that!!! Forget the likes/dislikes!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 03:58 PM   #148

Country Coach Owners Club
Everybody has a personality and everybody has their own world view, and these things come through and flavor all the advice and dialog on this and other forums. Can't be helped, even if the Archie Bunker types want to yell "Stifle yourself!"

Remember TA? Transactional Analysis? We might have a few on the forum who are solidly in the Critical Parent mode: (finds fault, displays prejudices, disapproves and prevents others from feeling good about themselves). Basically, I'm OK, but you're NOT OK. The trap to be avoided is taking them seriously and reacting instead of chuckling at them and moving on.
2007 Country Coach Tribute; Cat C9 400; 2012 Ford Edge toad; Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 10,000 lb tow bar; Demco AF1 Braking System; 2007 BMW K1200LT Hannigan Trike Conversion; Member, IEEE, NFPA, PMI, NRC SRO (Ret).
Talloaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 04:18 PM   #149

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psneeld View Post
"The shift away from “you’re welcome” is simply a matter of language habits changing, she noted. “Americans tend to value novelty,” Tannen said. “We don’t like saying exactly the same thing. We think we should say something a little different that has a little more character. We love our individuality and want to express it. So I think that’s partly why these new things develop.”

There is definitely a cultural aspect to the little polite rituals involving expressing appreciation to others, and acknowledging those expressions from others. Sometimes the variations from one culture to another can seem to speak volumes about the differences in people.

As an example, when I learned Spanish in elementary school in the early '60's ("Mexican" Spanish) I learned to respond to "Gracias" (thank you) with an automatic "De nada." (literally, of nothing, or it was nothing.) Kind of in effect diminishing the significance of what one did that was considered thankworthy.

But upon retiring and living in Costa Rica for a part of a year, I discovered that "Ticos" respond to a "Gracias" with the phrase "Con gusto!" or even, "Con mucho gusto!" That is, with enthusiasm, or with all my heart!

The bigger the tip you left, the heartier the "Con mucho gusto!"

Much different connotation than the "de nada" response, and to me, reflective of the culture of Costa Rica in general.

So while not particularly looking for thank-yous in life, I have come to value sincere and hearty expressions of appreciation and acknowledgements of such.
2007 Country Coach Tribute; Cat C9 400; 2012 Ford Edge toad; Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 10,000 lb tow bar; Demco AF1 Braking System; 2007 BMW K1200LT Hannigan Trike Conversion; Member, IEEE, NFPA, PMI, NRC SRO (Ret).
Talloaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 05:10 PM   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS56 View Post
Where did Bobby F say he was upset?
I didn't say he was, but it could be assumed you were.
davis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 05:16 PM   #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F View Post
I need to include more laughing emoji's when I attempt a weak joke.
I wasn't suggesting you were whining, guess I just quoted you, then gave my opinion on the whole business of the thread... Sorry for the confusion, and thank you for claiming some responsibility for my miscommunications... All that said, the OP should be happy now.
Old 07-08-2021, 05:18 PM   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
Well you could take post #112 to be in direct reply to post #111 if you want or take it to be just a post to somewhat humorously apply to the general track of the entire thread. Just as you like I guess.

Per Bobby F's considered advice in the immediately preceding post #124, more emojis to accompany weak humor.
The OP wants you to think for them too... Guess they can't concentrate between posts????
Old 07-08-2021, 05:24 PM   #153

Quote:
We're in trouble Gary!!!
Old 07-08-2021, 05:50 PM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talloaks View Post
Everybody has a personality and everybody has their own world view, and these things come through and flavor all the advice and dialog on this and other forums. Can't be helped, even if the Archie Bunker types want to yell "Stifle yourself!"

Remember TA? Transactional Analysis? We might have a few on the forum who are solidly in the Critical Parent mode: (finds fault, displays prejudices, disapproves and prevents others from feeling good about themselves). Basically, I'm OK, but you're NOT OK. The trap to be avoided is taking them seriously and reacting instead of chuckling at them and moving on.
I chuckled at your post and am moving on.

Or maybe, I'll move on up ...
PS56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forum