Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2021, 10:10 AM   #1

Lack of courtesy here drives people away from the forum

A simple thank you goes a long way but for many people that is too much work. Many here and I have given good advise yet a simply reply with thank you seems too much work.

Also, others and I have quoted a person to ask a question to help yet do not get a reply.

In part I can understand that the 'thank you' option in the forum isn't the best.

I think this is one reason why good long term posters leave.
PS56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2021, 10:13 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, we see that once in a while, but I think most folks express appreciation for the help they get. JMHO
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 10:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS56 View Post
A simple thank you goes a long way but for many people that is too much work. Many here and I have given good advise yet a simply reply with thank you seems too much work.

Also, others and I have quoted a person to ask a question to help yet do not get a reply.

In part I can understand that the 'thank you' option in the forum isn't the best.

Thank you for posting this.
Old 06-29-2021, 10:18 AM   #4

I sometimes stop reading threads of interest to me because some (generally a very few) seem to want to pick a fight over their specific view.

I’m all in for different perspectives but common courtesy and respect for another’s viewpoint go along way.

Some of us are just plain ignorant and we only survive because of the help we receive here. I want to take this opportunity to again thank all those who provide such high-quality counsel. Even when we ignorant ones ask what appear to others as stupid questions.
Old 06-29-2021, 10:20 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, thanks for the thread. Personally , I get satisfaction from helping other Forum members. I have received many “ thanks “ both within the thread itself or from the thanks button and although they number many it’s not 100%. I don’t think you’ll get that from any Forum and I would like to think that ours is a higher percentage than others.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 10:22 AM   #6

Quote:

I pointed out in the past that it would be nice if they had an alert function on the site. I'm in other forms where if I haven't posted there in a few days, if I go back I'll see alerts, and that will be where someone has quoted me or asked me a question. In this forum if you are subscribed to a thread, you'll get emails, but often you get a bunch of them and you can miss that someone has asked you a question or thank you or whatever. I saw one just the other day where someone quoted me asking me a question, but I didn't see it for over a week. If there had been an alert notification on the site, I would have noticed it within a day or two.

But I don't run the site, I only post here.
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 10:45 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:

…. snipped ….

One aspect of this could be the common difficulty of determining whether someone’s advice is logical and on-point or just someone telling what they’ve done, which just may not be an option for all. In any event, those offering anything, whether specific thanks are received or not, can likely be confident sometimes it fits and sometimes it doesn’t. The lack of “thanks” sure could, as you’ve speculated, be “one reason good long term posters leave.”

Personally I think more leave because of so many wise guy and snarky comments. Sadly that seems to be on the increase, it’s a different world now. iRV2 was largely void of that for a long time. Good thing is I’ve received many helpful and typically polite answers to many of my questions over the sixteen years or so that I’ve hung around here. In return I’ve tried to offer up opinions, advice and often encouragement … not really expecting anything in return, just something respectful if sending me a reply. This is a pretty good bunch of folks … I hope all, new or old, keep it that way. Many forums are just pretty bad.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 10:47 AM   #8

I've posted a few questions on here and given thanks in most of those particular threads.

I have noticed that there are specific "thank you's" under my user cp but I haven't looked into how to send one of those myself. Not really planning on doing that so my hope is that it isn't what PS56 is talking about.

I've messed around on a few forums over the years and have found IRV2 to have the most respectful, helpful, and curteous users of the bunch. Of course, the good moderators we have here also help to keep the site a nice place to visit.
Old 06-29-2021, 10:56 AM   #9

On another forum that I participate in, you can "LIKE" a post. To me, it is a great way to show appreciation without cluttering up a thread, possibly a really good thread, with just another thank you.

I also agree, the "ALERT" function would be nice sometimes. I have discovered that someone has commented or quoted me on a few occasions many days after the fact. By that point, the thread may have moved on, and to interject a thank you now would just "get in the way" of the thread's progress.

I hate it when I am on an email string or a text message with multiple people and I have to wade through multiple thank yous to find any of the meat of the discussion.

I have learned a lot from you guys & gals in the short time I have been here. Honestly, I haven't seen much of anything I would consider rude. But then, my skin is pretty thick, and I don't mind a robust discussion of the finer points of the world of RVs, politics, world peace, etc. . Having a strong opinion is not a problem, and the excitement and love of this world is what makes all of us enjoy our nomadic lives just a little bit more.
Old 06-29-2021, 11:08 AM   #10

I try to post accurate information and ask pertinent questions

It gets a bit frustrating when a HELP/Critical yet 3-4 days later after several responses no feed back/followup

I have received 'THANKS' via the post thanks button and within the post ---those I try to acknowledge

It's the ones that just 'disappear'...no update that can be frustrating

Oh well....Thank-you is a lost manner it seems
AS is holding a door open for someone, smiling/waving at folks, helping pickup dropped item, etc etc.
As my Daddy once said "I haven't lived too long, just born too soon"

PS56 THANK-YOU!
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 11:09 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
Thank you for posting this.
You are welcome.
Old 06-29-2021, 11:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by carybosse View Post
On another forum that I participate in, you can "LIKE" a post. To me, it is a great way to show appreciation without cluttering up a thread, possibly a really good thread, with just another thank you.

I also agree, the "ALERT" function would be nice sometimes. I have discovered that someone has commented or quoted me on a few occasions many days after the fact. By that point, the thread may have moved on, and to interject a thank you now would just "get in the way" of the thread's progress.

I hate it when I am on an email string or a text message with multiple people and I have to wade through multiple thank yous to find any of the meat of the discussion.

I have learned a lot from you guys & gals in the short time I have been here. Honestly, I haven't seen much of anything I would consider rude. But then, my skin is pretty thick, and I don't mind a robust discussion of the finer points of the world of RVs, politics, world peace, etc. . Having a strong opinion is not a problem, and the excitement and love of this world is what makes all of us enjoy our nomadic lives just a little bit more.
If you go to 'user cp' you will see new posts to threads you started or posted in.

Yes a 'like' option would be nice also.
Old 06-29-2021, 11:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
I try to post accurate information and ask pertinent questions

It gets a bit frustrating when a HELP/Critical yet 3-4 days later after several responses no feed back/followup

I have received 'THANKS' via the post thanks button and within the post ---those I try to acknowledge

It's the ones that just 'disappear'...no update that can be frustrating

Oh well....Thank-you is a lost manner it seems
AS is holding a door open for someone, smiling/waving at folks, helping pickup dropped item, etc etc.
As my Daddy once said "I haven't lived too long, just born too soon"

PS56 THANK-YOU!
I bolded the part I think is most important. In a site like this, where we are looking for help often, once someone solves the problem, it is great for them to come back and tell us what actually fixed their problem. Rare indeed will a problem never rear it's ugly head again, and being able to search and find a solution that worked for the other guy is what makes a site like this so powerful.
Old 06-29-2021, 11:15 AM   #14

When you have a forum such as this one with sooo many people that participate, you're bound to have people that participate and aren't always polite or sensitive to a certain level of etiquette. I take the attitude that if I can be of some help, I'll try. And, I try to respond appropriately to those that try to help me. Some things and/or people have to be ignored at times.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forum