Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2017, 07:04 AM   #1

Lane etiquette??

Just wondering while on the road driving your coach, which lane do You drive in and Why? How do you work with other drivers around you?
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2017, 08:11 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1doodadd View Post
Just wondering while on the road driving your coach, which lane do You drive in and Why? How do you work with other drivers around you?
1doodadd
I most often travel in the far right lane, except when passing, (because in most cases that is where you are supposed drive).

When driving my coach I "work with other drivers around me" no differently than I do when driving a car.
Woodchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:14 AM   #3

Here in Calif. If you're towing, you're limited to 55 MPH and the right lane. If it's a multiple lane road (3 or more) you can travel in the lane just left of the right lane.
Since absolutely no one knows how to enter the freeway, I drive in the fist lane out. When I said no one knows how to enter the freeway I really mean it, the law says that the person entering the freeway will match speed and safely enter the first lane of travel. 99.9999% of those entering go slow and expect the person in the right lane on the freeway to yield to them. It's supposed to be the other way around, (they yield to cars already in the lane of travel)
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:16 AM   #4

I stay in the right lane unless there are three or more lanes then I move to the 2nd lane from the right to avoid being in the way of people entering and exiting.
CWJK55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchopper View Post
1doodadd
I most often travel in the far right lane, except when passing, (because in most cases that is where you are supposed drive).

When driving my coach I "work with other drivers around me" no differently than I do when driving a car.
Ditto! I am not in any great hurry and respect other drivers as I want them to respect me. I do my best to blend in with other vehicles and not be a rolling roadblock or blow by everything on the highway.
Sit back and enjoy the trip.
Lynn
Old 03-05-2017, 08:17 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
On the highway I mostly stick to the right lane and move left to pass any slower vehicles I might overtake.

In heavily congested areas (I live in the Northeast) where there are lots of entering and exiting vehicles, if there are 3 or more lanes I'll move to the second lane to avoid conflicts with entering vehicles.
affreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1doodadd View Post
Often I'm in the Left lane - Smoother - until traffic is around, then get into the right - BUT - I tend to avoid most I's, except in the East, so most often I just stay in the right/only lane, of a two lane road.

As we have done this RV thing for 50+ years - we have learned over the years to try to avoid crowds - travel off Peak times, and just enjoy the Journey.

JMHO

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:28 AM   #8

I don't speed and as a matter of fact, usually keep my speed around 60 mph. The right lane is the place for us,, most of the time. I will move left to pass of course. Like CW, i'll take the center when 3 or more lanes are available and there are vehicles entering and exiting the highway. I drive the motorhome the same way i drive the our other vehicles. (well, except for the ATV)
Old 03-05-2017, 08:33 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Often I'm in the Left lane - Smoother - until traffic is around, then get into the right - BUT - I tend to avoid most I's, except in the East, so most often I just stay in the right/only lane, of a two lane road.

As we have done this RV thing for 50+ years - we have learned over the years to try to avoid crowds - travel off Peak times, and just enjoy the Journey.

JMHO

X2. Sometimes I swerve around a bit, but that's just fidlling with toys or gawking around.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:40 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWJK55 View Post
I stay in the right lane unless there are three or more lanes then I move to the 2nd lane from the right to avoid being in the way of people entering and exiting.
...X2
Petesflhtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJowdy View Post
Here in Calif. If you're towing, you're limited to 55 MPH and the right lane. If it's a multiple lane road (3 or more) you can travel in the lane just left of the right lane.
Since absolutely no one knows how to enter the freeway, I drive in the fist lane out. When I said no one knows how to enter the freeway I really mean it, the law says that the person entering the freeway will match speed and safely enter the first lane of travel. 99.9999% of those entering go slow and expect the person in the right lane on the freeway to yield to them. It's supposed to be the other way around, (they yield to cars already in the lane of travel)
Right lane or second from right in a multi-lane highway. Only move left to pass.

I doubt I will tow in California any time soon... 55 mph is like watching paint dry or grass grow.... it would drive me nuts having to drive like that on the freeway where everyone else is doing 70+. Just because one is towing doesn't mean that they are unsafe at 60 or 65. But I expect silly things like that from California, so....
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 09:16 AM   #12

Only with 2 lanes will I stay in the right lane and then o lucky if towing .
Right lanes ate always in the worst condition as that is where heavies and merging are.
Additionally there are more low overhangs and encroaching trees and such.
When not towing on multi lane I tend to stay second from left.
Here in Southern California as traffic is I am not avert to using the HOV lane to exit our Megalopolis.
I always move over if I feel I'm obstructing but not to pothole ridden or lanes like those on I40 in Arizona and New Mexico.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:18 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPreeb View Post
Right lane or second from right in a multi-lane highway. Only move left to pass.

I doubt I will tow in California any time soon... 55 mph is like watching paint dry or grass grow.... it would drive me nuts having to drive like that on the freeway where everyone else is doing 70+. Just because one is towing doesn't mean that they are unsafe at 60 or 65. But I expect silly things like that from California, so....
In metro Los Angeles our limit is 55 but when moving traffic flies at a bit below 80.
55 becomes 65 in a hurry.
I run between 62 and 70 when towing unless there is a heavy cross wind
Old 03-05-2017, 09:30 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
As others have said,right lane. I will move over to 2nd lane if 3 lanes present EXCEPT when I see signs that restrict trucks to 2 right lanes only. I then will stay in the right lane and let the truckers use that 2nd lane for passing us. Those folks are out there earning a living and I am more than willing to make things as easy for them as possible.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote