Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2020, 10:39 AM   #1
US1

Lane positioning in city driving

As the title says...

Just bought my 1st motorhome ('30 Class A) and have drivien approx under 10 miles in it on unconjested traffic so far.
Prior to purchase while contemplating between an A or a C, I've watched a lot of YT videos on driving one, yet havent ran across one that really goes into detail (read: explanation) about lane position, just mentions of 'good lane position' in preparation for making turns.

My question is, when driving in city and going to make a RH turn, where do you position yourself at the turn, hugging the left, center or
right of your lane?
I understand tail swing and off tracking, so it would appear to address tail swing you'd stay to the right. But that would effect off tracking, And vise versa.

To note, I will be heading to a parking lot with cones and stick on markers to mark my mirrors and windshield as many of the training videos recommend for beginners, once the to-do list is done on the RV and weather cooperates. Just looking for some pointers ahead of time vs trying to figure it out then.

As always, thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2020, 10:44 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
I try to stay in the center of the lane and turn right as late as I can to avoid hitting the curb.

Practise in a parking lot is a great idea.

Also, you may want to look into a RV driving course in your area if possible.

I have a couple of friends that REALLY should have taken one and saved a lot on repairs!

Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 10:50 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Turn later, not wider. From the Smith System of defensive driving. You can't negotiate turns in a MH like you do in your car.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 11:45 AM   #4

Don't forget to beware of tree branches if driving in the curbside lane - I scraped the upper side less than a mile after picking it up.
Old 02-07-2020, 12:13 PM   #5
Commercial Member

be aware of your surroundings. watch for those trying to squeeze past you on the left side, if you hug the right side of your lane, turn later so that you miss the guy in the turn lane you are going around into. always take command of both lanes you are moving into, choosing, before you turn, which lane you want to end up in. just be aware.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 12:42 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
Turn later, not wider.

Good advice - even in a car! Left turns especially - it's all too common to see people make a left turn by starting the turn way before they reach the limit line. They make a 45 degree turn, straighten out, then another 45 degree turn, crossing the double yellow at both ends of the turn. The proper method is to pull INTO the intersection, then make a single 90 degree turn, ending up by being straight in the desired lane.

Turning right is similar: start from the left side of your lane and pull into the intersection. Turn sharply to the right and end up in the left side of the lane. My wife uses the visual aid of starting the turn when her hips are even with the corner of the sidewalk on the right.

It really is a good idea to make use of an mepty parking lot and practice until you have a good idea of where all 4 corners of your vehicle are at all times.
Old 02-07-2020, 12:44 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
Turn later, not wider. From the Smith System of defensive driving. You can't negotiate turns in a MH like you do in your car.
That won't work if the lane you're turning into is not wide enough, or, the opposing traffic lane of the street you're turning into has traffic sitting in it.

Drove trucks in the city from time to time in my job as fleet manager in a past life. Each turn is going to have to be addressed by judging just where your MH will fit. I'll give you an example: where I store my MH, there is a two lane wide left turn lane that I have to negotiate, I have to turn left again in a block after this intersection; logically, I'd want to be in the left lane. That said, if I turn from the left lane, I can not clear the intersection without sagging into the right side left turn lane (following me?) what I do is, either straddle both lanes (pisses off the guys behind you) or, what I've been doing: I turn from the right lane watching the left lane beside me, I then move over to the left lane when I can..

What I'm trying to say is. Each tight turn and situation you will wind up in your coach will be different and need a different solution. With time, it gets easier! I totally agree with some sort of class if you've not had previous experience driving BIG things.

Hope this helps... welcome to the world of big coaches, it's a lovely place!!

Nuther piece of advice... be very wary of trying to get into regular gas stations! May look like you'll make it but I've got scars on my toad and side doors to prove otherwise
SC40QS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 12:57 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC40QS View Post
.... straddle both lanes (pisses off the guys behind you).....
I do that quite often. To hell with what others think. I'd rather piss somebody off than crash into a curb or a light pole. Often there just is not enough room to turn my 45 footer with toad from the right lane into the right lane of the intersecting street. In order to avoid hitting the curb, I have to turn late and that means going halfway into the right lane and halfway into the next lane to its left. After the turn, I carefully move over so I am using just one lane, but during the turn, I need both lanes. One exception: if there are TWO right turn lanes, make the turn from the leftmost right turn lane, which will give you plenty of room to make the turn. This is where a good GPS really shines, as it gives you an early picture of the upcoming intersection, in time for you to get into the correct lane.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 01:09 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Good advice to practice in the parking lot with orange cones.
Another piece of advice is to follow a non articulated transit bus in town and take note of what they do. Personally I'll straddle two lanes on a rh turn so no one can squeeze to the inside of us. Always signal your intentions early. I figure we paid for the road...may as well use all of it when safe and practical. Don't be afraid to stop and let traffic clear when necessary either.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 02:25 PM   #10

Follow a bus or a long cargo truck to see how they make their turns.

Each turn will be different depending on the room you have.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 02:53 PM   #11

We took the Lazy Days driving school.

The thing that helped my wife the most (I'd driven larger trucks before) was the comment the instructor made. "Don't turn before your butt is passed what you don't want to hit". The idea is that where you are sitting is basically over the front tires so when you clear the obsticle so should the RV. (should because they're not all created the same). That may not entirely answer the "where should I be" but will help with potentially helping you know if you can navigate a turn.

I approach slowly in city traffic a few extra seconds to make sure I can make the turn and an option to bail out or just plain stop so I don't get into a situation I will have trouble getting out of.

I have had one instance where I blocked a 4-lane road trying a u-turn into an RV park with the car attached (the u-turn was about 50 feet past hte entrance). I could have made it if the telephone pole was another 4 feet away, but... I just took my time looked in the rear camera and made sure I could back a few feet and cut the wheel harder. It inconvenienced the traffic for a bit but no harm, no damage, only ego dented.
Old 02-07-2020, 05:08 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Parking lot is a great idea and do it soon.

Start your turns when your hips reach corner of the road where you want to turn.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:06 PM   #13

Follow what the truckers do. Sometimes a car driver will hold back from the stop line giving extra swing room. I figure they are also truckers or RV owners & understand the need for extra room.

Soccer moms.....forget it. They have no clue.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:32 PM   #14

Always use all the space you
2 turning lanes turning right stay in the left lane
2 turning lanes turning left stay in the right lane
igapaul is offline   Reply With Quote