Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2022, 06:20 AM   #1

Learned something about the inverter

Usually, I leave the inverter running all the time when on a trip. It does not matter (inactive) while on shore power and it takes over automatically while travelling, keeping the fridge cold. The 300 Ah battery is good for 6-7 hours.

Now, yesterday we had a violent thunderstorm that knocked out power (not yet back) but we did not notice since the inverter was running. Cooked dinner, watched TV and went to bed. Only to awake this morning with the house battery totally empty (the lithium battery shut itself off) and no power to crank the generator. Even the solar controller refused fill the sleeping battery.

Fortunately I have one of these small lithium jump start boxes that I have never used so far and that got the generator going. Now, 30 min later the battery came back to life at 10% charge so we have a chance to crank up the levelers, pull in the slides and leave this place.

Lesson learned: when arriving at the campground, turn off the inverter in case power goes off unnoticed. Or maybe I will install a warning light somewhere.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2022, 07:34 AM   #2

My inverter hasn't been turned off since it was installed over a year ago. Inverter loss/waste/usage is minimal and should not have killed your 300 amp battery IMO, I think something else was drawing your battery down, not the inverter.
rtaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 07:35 AM   #3

A couple of points .

Read all your inverter instructions .

Systems powered by the inverter may not function with it turned off ; even with shore power supplied .

If your inverter is also your battery charger , then you'll want to leave it on when on shore power .

Some inverters once shore power is supplied and their circuitry has switched to auto by pass to power the otherwise inverted circuits ; won't turn off .
Old 05-14-2022, 08:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtaggio View Post
My inverter hasn't been turned off since it was installed over a year ago. Inverter loss/waste/usage is minimal and should not have killed your 300 amp battery IMO, I think something else was drawing your battery down, not the inverter.
In OP case, the shore power went out unnoticed. The inverter kept doing its thing making 120VAC until the batteries were drained. My inverter is for boondocking only so not an issue for me.

There may be settings on the inverter to get it to shut itself down before the BMS on the battery goes into low voltage disconnect.
Old 05-14-2022, 08:37 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I turn my inverter on only if I'm going to use it, like on the road. When on standby, it is subject to wear and tear and uses a small amount of power.

As a point of clarification, on an inverter/charger, the inverter function does not need to be on to charge the batteries.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 09:00 AM   #6

300 AH in 6 hours is a draw of 50 amps per hour or 50AH.
There is no way your fridge draws near that amount, 10 to 20 amps less then 50% of the time would be average.

Something else is wasting your capacity.

Another lesson, you cant use 100% of your lithium battery. You may want to raise the low battery cut off up a bit.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 09:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
300 AH in 6 hours is a draw of 50 amps per hour or 50AH.
There is no way your fridge draws near that amount, 10 to 20 amps less then 50% of the time would be average.

Something else is wasting your capacity.

Another lesson, you cant use 100% of your lithium battery. You may want to raise the low battery cut off up a bit.
He said they cooked dinner - microwave/convection microwave presumably.

He does need to set the low voltage cutoff appropriately.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 09:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
I turn my inverter on only if I'm going to use it, like on the road. When on standby, it is subject to wear and tear and uses a small amount of power.

As a point of clarification, on an inverter/charger, the inverter function does not need to be on to charge the batteries.
That depends on the inverter charger.

On mine, off means off.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 01:43 PM   #9

AC Shore power went out-----Inverter continued to supply AC unnoticed

Battery shutdown

Everything worked as designed
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 01:46 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I've had three DP's since 2005. In 2014 we bought our first all electric and now have a 2019 all electric coach. Since about 2010, we haven't turned off our inverters. One of the purposes of it is to seamlessly transfer power, if there is a power outage. We never leave the coach unattended for more than an all day excursion, about 8-10 hours max. Our batteries could run that long without issue.

For those with AGS, just set it up so it comes on when the batteries get low.

Lastly, I like to know if there are power issues at a park or even when I first connect the coach. I added a green LED in an obvious spot in my coach at the kitchen counter. I can see it when I first walk in or from my recliner. It's powered by an outlet that only operates from shore power. I know I can go look at my front control panel, but this is just so much easier and takes zero effort.

If I feel like that has been a glitch in shore power, I can simply look at the LED.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200115_124241.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	241.8 KB
ID:	365467

Click image for larger version

Name:	led power.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	354.9 KB
ID:	365468
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 03:13 PM   #11

Yes, the system worked as designed and the BMS shut off to protect the battery. So I am not complaining but wondering how to prevent such a surprise in the future. Power outages may be rare but do happen. I was lucky that the little jump start box did its job and maybe I buy an old fashioned jump start cable for the 5th wheel as insurance.

Since I like to leave the inverter on out of convenience, I will probably add some warning light or a buzzer to better indicate loss of shore power. The little dim indicator on the inverter control panel is easily overlooked.

As for the consumption, I double checked and my 18 cuft Norcold fridge/freezer (electric/propane) does use about 45-50 amps of battery current through the inverter. Quite a power hog, isn't it?
Old 05-14-2022, 04:09 PM   #12

YEP^^^^

Norcold 18 cuft on 120VAC is 5A draw so roughly 55A 12VDC draw
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 05:07 PM   #13

There is no right or wrong method, off or on is user choice, just be aware of total current draw.
appliance current draw table
How to calculate inverter draw with no load
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 10:01 PM   #14

My inverter has a setting b that sets a battery cutoff voltage to prevent draining the batteries. I would assume this was normal on all inverters, but maybe not.

Tags
inverter