Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2009, 06:30 PM   #15

I have seen small amts of "oil" with my trailer.
No real problems though. I always thought it was from the hoses.
This was reinforced when I saw that the Mr Buddy heaters sell a filter if using larger than 1# tanks, or a green hose that doesn't contaminate the regulator.
This seems to happen with high pressure hoses with the regulator at the appliance (heater, grill).
Frank
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2009, 09:59 AM   #16

Hi, the oil that you are probably having problems with leeches from the rubber hose, with having the regulator mounted high these days rather than on the bottle the oil travels down from the regulator to the bottle connection and here in u.k. a lot of us are moving over to flexible metalized flexible hose 'pigtails' which removes the problem and a lot of us do not use the bbq gas point on the van anymore
chatterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:16 AM   #17

I worked on propane powered fork lifts for over 20 years and have run across this problem more than a few times. There are a couple of brands of LP regulator/vaporizers who also have an in-line filter (about 4 inches in diameter and 3 inches wide) that collect the "oil" and inpurities before the regulator. The filter elements are easily replaced and cheap if you do it yourself.
I have never seen this filter used except on engines but the reason may be because they are run sometimes 20 hours a day and use more LP in one day than you likely use in months.
Ask a local lift truck parts tech. about this filter...it may be what you are looking for...
youmissthepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:28 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Since I had a leak in my propane system I decided to disassemble hose and regulator assembly to clean it. The regulator is dripping oil! I have never heard of this before! I have used Propane at my home for more than 20 years and have not seen oil in any lines. RVs are a different breed though! I will clean with alcohol and see if my water heater likes it better!
covered.wago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:56 AM   #19

It's called a drip leg, sediment trap, drip nipple and other names depending on what part of the country you're in. It looks like this

https://buyersask.com/plumbing/water...trap-drip-leg/

and most motorhomes don't have one.

If you installed your grill connector hose on the down pointing end of a T then your connecting hose is functioning as the drip nipple and collecting all the oil and other contaminants contained in the propane. Put your connection on an upward pointing section of the T and you'll likely solve your problem.

I've never seen a house that doesn't have the appropriate drip nipples so that's why you don't have the issue on your home. Those pesky plumbing inspectors usually check for them.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:35 AM   #20

Solo Rvers Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen41 View Post
Well you just found someone else on the planet that didn't know about this either.

X3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen41 View Post
CONGRESS
Never underestimate the power
of stupid people in large groups
Never truer words !!!
Randm Musing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 01:55 PM   #21

X4 - thanks for posting this. Now where can I get a collection cup or filter for the BBQ?

I found something on Youtube
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 02:46 PM   #22

Talking

Folks, the RVGeeks to the rescue. The oil build up in the line is associated with high pressure over a long run of hose:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=Kbp4LiOjXbI

How To Connect a BBQ Grill to an RV's On-board Propane Tank - RVgeeks (blog post)
Old 08-23-2018, 02:53 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks Kurt-O, that answers that question about how to get rid of the oil in the propane line to the grill. Regulator ordered.
Old 08-23-2018, 03:30 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt-o-matic View Post
Folks, the RVGeeks to the rescue. The oil build up in the line is associated with high pressure over a long run of hose:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=Kbp4LiOjXbI

How To Connect a BBQ Grill to an RV's On-board Propane Tank - RVgeeks (blog post)
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 05:21 AM   #25

I wonder why he left the regulator on the BBQ - now he has 2 regulators on that line. Guess it hasn't hurt the flow any.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:02 AM   #26

His 15 PSI regulator at the tank is an intermediate pressure stage. The whole idea with a long run is, you don't want full pressure (which can be as high as 200 PSI, apparently) in the line, because that's how you foul the grill's regulator, but you still need enough pressure to move the propane over the longer run.

The regulator on the grill (if I understand this correctly) is like .4 PSI or less. So the 2-stage regulation scheme isn't really redundant; it's a meaningful step-down at each stage.
Old 08-25-2018, 04:13 AM   #27

That makes sense.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 08-25-2018, 05:35 AM   #28

Rubber hoses could be the cause. Winnebago did a recall of propane hoses on the View because oil was fouling so many regulators. This attachment "suggests that the major cause is re-condensed gas extracting plasticisers from the high pressure rubber hose and depositing a resulting oily substance into the regulator preventing it from passing gas."
Attached Files
File Type: pdf gaslow-stainless-steel-hose.pdf (1.50 MB, 48 views)