RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2020, 07:30 AM   #1

Smile Learning about diesel exhaust fluid (DEF)

Hi everyone, I'm doing research on how people use diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) with their RVs. I want to hear about your experiences because I am researching how I am supposed to use it with the RV I ordered and I want to know your opinions on it. If you guys could answer my questions below, I'd really appreciate it, thank you for the help!

What kind of RV do you have and what year was it made?
Where do you usually get your diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) from? (Truck stop dispenser, 2.5 gallon jugs, etc)
How often do you refill your DEF tank?
Do you experience any issues when refilling your DEF tank?
What do you dislike about using DEF? (Price, Refilling, Replacing the filter, etc)

patekama120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2020, 07:35 AM   #2

There are thousands of threads addressing all your questions

Try the search engine

Enjoy the rig

Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 08:15 AM   #3

Make a visit to your local auto dealer, they can educate you better about DEF than anyone else.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 08:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by patekama120 View Post
Where do you usually get your diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) from? (Truck stop dispenser, 2.5 gallon jugs, etc)
What do you dislike about using DEF? (Price, Refilling, Replacing the filter, etc)
I have a 2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus. I can either pick up jugs from WalMart when we shop for groceries, or use bulk from truck stops. Truck stops are usually my second choice unless there are several open pumps. Sometimes dealing with temperamental truck drivers gets to be a pain.

If your rig has the DEF fill on the drivers side it will be easier to use bulk pumps. I have had it on both sides, and the fill on the passenger side is a real PITA in a truck stop.

How often you fill depends on how much you drive. If you are moving every few days you will use more. We usually stay in a location 5-7 days at a time, and I may add DEF once a month.

I do also use a refractometer to check the quality of jugs of DEF if I have any question at all about the seal on the container.

All in all it's no big deal to use DEF. I already routinely check fluids in the RV and air pressure in the tires. It's just one more item to be aware of.
https://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2020
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 10:14 AM   #5

My coach has the 450 hp ISL Cummins. I buy at the pump when convenient. ( The DEF fill is on the passenger side.) The engine uses a gallon every 350-400 miles, so I fill about every 4000 miles which amounts to about every 5 months. Sometimes I buy a 2.5 gallon jug just to carry in case I get low. Def is a non issue to me.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 11:03 AM   #6

I love the cleaner air no smoke or diesel fumes. Donít mind the cost or trouble to put it in. Didnít like large expense of repair which seems fairly common. Original smog warranty will cover but once thatís gone nearly all extended warranties exclude exhaust which def is part of. I always do jugs.
iowaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 11:50 AM   #7

-What kind of RV do you have and what year was it made?
-Where do you usually get your diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) from? (Truck stop dispenser, 2.5 gallon jugs, etc)
-How often do you refill your DEF tank?
-Do you experience any issues when refilling your DEF tank?
-What do you dislike about using DEF? (Price, Refilling, Replacing the filter, etc.)

1) Coach listed in sig...
2) I always buy DEF to at the Truck Stop pumps. The DEF filler is on the drivers side just under the diesel filler behind the same door.
3) I refill the DEF tank (16 gal) at every other diesel fuel fill-up (230 gal tank)...... So, about every 1,600 miles and the DEF tank is a little below half full.
4) Only issue filling DEF is that the fuel handles are very sensitive and want to cut off at the slightest movement.
5) No problems at all using DEF at it makes the exhaust much cleaner.

Safe travels,
Mark
Old 07-19-2020, 06:14 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
... Def is a non issue to me...
Same here, I use the 2.5 gallon jugs.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 10:08 PM   #9

How to use it?
Just fill up the DEF tank when it’s low. I fill mine when it gets down to a quarter tank which is around every three fuel fill ups. I don’t typically go to truck stops so I use jugs that come with flexible nozzles like this one:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tec...SABEgIf9vD_BwE
Sonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 07:47 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by patekama120 View Post
Our rig is built on the International Durastar chassis. Our Cummins uses about a gal of DEF for every 250 miles or about 4% of diesel usage. Wish the mileage was higher like a previous poster. Fill tank is on the driver's side so using truck stop DEF pumps is my preferred method. Before getting the TDS card and using truck stops, I used 2.5 gal jugs from Walmart. Takes up space, time comsuming and results in a lot of empty jugs. Now using truck stops, DEF is no problem. I do carry a spare jug just in case I am off the beaten path and buy fuel at a non truckstop.

Had a DEF sensor problem at about 10,000 miles. International replaced under warrenty overnight. No problems since then except when I filled DEF at a pump but not at a true truckstop. Got a DEF warning code. After refilling DEF from jugs, warning code reset. I suspect that the DEF at the fuel stop was not up to spec. As we used DEF and refilled, it came back up to spec.

My biggest issue with DEF is that the systems have created so many problems for operators of diesel vehicles. Some real horror stories out in the trucking world. The extra costs and downtimes have been enormous.

Another point, if you go to Alaska through Canada, DEF is more expensive and hard to find at the pump. Load up with jugs at Walmart before crossing into Canada. Walmarts in Alaska carry their DEF in jugs.
Old 07-20-2020, 10:50 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Buy your fuel from a truck stop and buy your DEF there too if your fill is on the same side as the fuel fill. Easy, not expensive, doesn’t generate the large amount of plastic waste the containers do, and it is always fresh. It really isn’t an issue with newer rigs because the fill is on the driver’s side. Some older DEF rigs had the fill on the passenger side, so they generally use jugs.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 01:53 PM   #12

I work part time doing over the road Charter Bus driving. We go all over the United States. A couple of years ago one of the drivers somehow accidentally splashed diesel into the DEF tank as they fill right next to each other.

The bottom line was about 4 days of down time and just south of $4K before the bus was underway again.

Just Saying...be cautious to keep everything in it's own tank!
FlatsixV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 06:30 AM   #13

I get it at the pump in the truck lines. Much less expensive than the jugs.
Old 07-21-2020, 08:08 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine99 View Post
I get it at the pump in the truck lines. Much less expensive than the jugs.
On sale it is cheaper in 2.5 gallon jugs

Pump prices should be lower for diluted fertilizer

Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, exhaust, fluid