Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2020, 03:47 PM   #1

LED Lights Too Bright!

My LED Lights were much too bright! Not any more! Just installed this little unit and it is great. I can now dim/bright them. 👍😁
https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...ote/1370/3140/
Charlietx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2020, 04:06 PM   #2

Nice to know.
THEHOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 04:18 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
To some of us you can never be too bright.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 08:34 PM   #4

If the LED's are not specifically manufacturered dimmable, they will not last long.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 09:01 PM   #5

A lot of times when someone says their LED lights are to bright it is because they bought the wrong lights. I just replaced all the old lights in my coach with Warm White LEDs and they are no brighter than the old filament bulbs.
ken64k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 10:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken64k View Post
A lot of times when someone says their LED lights are to bright it is because they bought the wrong lights. I just replaced all the old lights in my coach with Warm White LEDs and they are no brighter than the old filament bulbs.
Who knew, lights come in different ratings. LED also come in different colors. I have 4 different kinds in the MH for different purposes. Only replaced some of the lights since all the lights come with a ON/OFF switch.

DIL wanted the whitest light when I installed 8 recessed light in her bathroom. I got dimmable LED and a approved dimmer. The color of the light does not change but not as bright.
Old 01-04-2020, 10:18 PM   #7

Whatever Lumens you don't want, I'll take em
Old 01-06-2020, 08:38 AM   #8

I consider going that route but I wanted to control several sets of lights (puck and strip) and didn't want to deal with multiple remotes. I went with touch controls and mounted them in a convenient location.
pdeinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 09:06 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken64k View Post

Just did the same. The LEDs I bought seem a tiny bit dimmer, and very close to the same color of the old 1141 incandescents. A bit whiter when compared side-by-side, but on their own look fine to me (and I hate harsh light). They offer many options of LED brightness and color these days.

Got these for about a buck per light, and all of them work with no flickering. But they offer many other brightness/color options.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 02:59 PM   #10

There is bulb "temperature" (color) and bulb brightness (lumens).
Most people think a white color looks brighter.

You can always put a RGB controller in which can vary the voltage to change the brightness. Too bright can always be made less bright with the correct controller electronics.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:47 PM   #11

I got these for the puck style lights. They work great and color and light output almost exactly what the halogens put out. Nice part is they use a tenth of the power... when you have 30 lights in your rig that can really add up!

SavnTheWales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 02:21 PM   #12

This guy has lots of good info on dimmers. RV 12V LED Dimmer Shootout.

Nearly all 12V LED lamps are dimmable, but you have to use the right dimmer. LEDs themselves are dimmed by making them flicker. It's the driver electronics that get in the way.
RickLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 06:06 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickLight View Post
This guy has lots of good info on dimmers. RV 12V LED Dimmer Shootout.

Nearly all 12V LED lamps are dimmable, but you have to use the right dimmer. LEDs themselves are dimmed by making them flicker. It's the driver electronics that get in the way.
Correct, you must use a PWM (pulse width modulation) dimmer.
pdeinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 06:03 PM   #14

I am in the process of replacing our failing 16 year old LED ceiling rope lights in our 2004 MADP. I am using some warm white 3/8" 12v Imtra LED ropes. I got two of the six replaced last Saturday but they are a LOT brighter than the dim old ones and DW demands a brightness mitigation. Can I just replace the standard wall light switches in our coach with PWM switches to be able to dim them?

Tags
led, light, lights