Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2022, 04:20 PM   #1

LED lights too bright

We have a 2020 Vista 31be. The overhead interior lights are all 12V LEDs and there’s plenty of them. I’m wondering if a generic dimmer switch can be installed to give the option of a more comfortable level in the evening hours. If so, is there a specific switch at a box store to look for? My wife just turns them all off and then hands me a flashlight.
damonflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2022, 06:54 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by damonflyer View Post
We have a 2020 Vista 31be. The overhead interior lights are all 12V LEDs and there’s plenty of them. I’m wondering if a generic dimmer switch can be installed to give the option of a more comfortable level in the evening hours. If so, is there a specific switch at a box store to look for? My wife just turns them all off and then hands me a flashlight.
12v led lights can be dimmed. Install a dimmer between the power source and the lights.

And it takes a special dimmer. You need to google 12v dimmers. They can’t be bought at a box store.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 05:27 AM   #3

You need a PWM (pulse width modulation) dimmer. LEDs operate on a very narrow voltage range so a standard resistance dimmer, which drops voltage doesn't work. A PWM dimmer turns a steady voltage on and off rapidly, the longer it's on the brighter the light appears to your eyes.
Argosy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 12:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argosy View Post
You need a PWM (pulse width modulation) dimmer. LEDs operate on a very narrow voltage range so a standard resistance dimmer, which drops voltage doesn't work. A PWM dimmer turns a steady voltage on and off rapidly, the longer it's on the brighter the light appears to your eyes.
I can attest to the need for a different dimmer. I bought some LED tubes to replace the fluorescent tubes in my laundry at home in a previous house. They were way too bright so I installed a dimmer. The LEDs would strobe when you turned the lights on and I had to turn them all the way up and then refind the point where they would dim without blinking. Giant pain in the rear.
Old 06-27-2022, 02:55 PM   #5

The other possibility - "neutral density" light filter sheets. Used by photographers and video folks to reduce the output of lights or daylight coming in windows. Rated in "f-stops" where 1 'stop' is 50%. Cut to fit the lens of the lights.
Old 06-27-2022, 06:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argosy View Post
Yup. I converted the whole coach from halogen replacement plug-in LEDs to LED fixtures and put PWM dimmers on the living and bedroom ones. It's *great* to have bright task lighting but dimmer illumination during the evening.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, light, lights