Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2013, 04:38 AM   #1
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Legionnaires Disease from RV water tanks?

This is being discussed on one of our other RV sites.

I don't recall of ever hearing of a case of Legionnaires Disease relating to a RV's water tank or water heater, but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

Many of us have concerns about our water quality, so I pass this on for what it's worth.

Recreational Vehicle Water Tanks as a Possible Source for Legionella InfectionsRecreational Vehicle Water Tanks as a Possible Source for Legionella Infections

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2013, 04:41 AM   #2

We use our on board water for everything but cooking and drinking. Never have trusted where I get the water from,,,, and that's anywhere.

joe
joeplazek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:47 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
interesting read, an im with ya on that, i bring bottle water when we use rv. i sanitize the fresh water tank to shower,flush. i also bring water from home to use for cooking/coffee making. safe then sorry is good practice. especially living in florida, where mold grows asap.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:49 AM   #4
Community Administrator

I always used bottled water for coffee and drinking/ cooking. I figured the cost of about $1.25 a day well worth it.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:55 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
??? Did anyone Google Legionnaires Disease? The Mayo Clinic says it's an INHALED disease so first question would be how to inhale water. Don't they call that drowning???
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:32 AM   #6
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The report linked also states that it was from under chlorinated, heated, and agitated systems. I'm going to assume that if a person sanitizes their system with chlorinated bleach, as recommended by their manufacturer the problem would be eliminated.

When is the last time you sanitized your system?

One statement in the report says, "The subsequent aerosolization of the bacteria during showers and bathing could be a risk factor for transmission of the pathogen."

So when the water vaporizes it may become the problem. If you read the report, of the 20 RV's tested only one used chlorine bleach as a sanitizing method, and only one did this when taking the MH out of storage. The other 19 just flushed and refilled.

Good article that lets one think of their procedures.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:39 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Tap water gets tested a lot. Bottled water is not tested as much. I would trust tap water way more than bottled water.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:47 AM   #8
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
Tap water gets tested a lot. Bottled water is not tested as much. I would trust tap water way more than bottled water.
I'm with you on that one.

It humors me when I see people filling water jugs at those $$$ water machines. All they have to do is buy an under the sink filter, in many cases, and get the same results right from their faucet.

The last sentence of the article says it all. Sanitize.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:58 AM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Scary stuff! I'll sure make sure to disinfect for sure!!!!!
Old 12-18-2013, 08:01 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
This is a great article and confirms the necessity of proper chlorine
treatment of the RV water system. I do mine at the beginning of each
season. Further, I'll drain and flush several times during the season.
I think after reading this, I may do a full chlorination half way thru
the summer. We only drink bottled water, or Brita filtered water.
We have found a few CGs with awful water. I check it now before
using any in the camper.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:36 AM   #11

I actually did know a guy that came down with Legionnaires Disease after traveling to a football game, with friends, in a guys Class A. I don't know anything about the details of the sanitation, or lack thereof, but I'll tell you what, that was one sick puppy. I remember him telling me how scared he was when he couldn't figure out what he had, but what really scared him was when the doctors couldn't figure it out either. The test to confirm what he had took so long they couldn't wait for the results and just filled him up with antibiotics, quaranteed him, and hoped it would do the job. It did, fortunately.

I sanitize my tank before every trip since I store it a month or two in between but even at that we drink bottled water and make ice with it too. The risk may be small but I don't want to face the potential consequences.
radams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:41 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A local Lowe's store had a hot tub on display, full of water, running, setting off the usual aersol mist (this was years ago). Several customers got Legionaires which was traced to that hot tub. Cost Lowe's lots of money and you will never see another filled hot tub on display in one of their stores.

The bacteria must be inhaled but that would be easy in a shower or other situations where running water created any aersol.

We do periodically sanitize the FW tank with bleach. In any case, I think this would be rare in most RV situations.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:22 AM   #13
Commercial Member

this is one of those stories that if taken at face value, it something to worry about. like getting bit by rattle snakes or arizona brown spiders. who knows someone who got legionaires disease from drinking contaminated water from a rv water tank. my guess would be no one. i have traveled all 48 lower states for the last 15 years, and have only met one guy that got sick from his water. he filled his tank with tertiary water. recycled sewage water.
if you use a good water filter, and clean your tank on a regular basis, imho, you have nothing to worry about. remember anything you put in your body has been determined to be poison by some study.
let it go. there are larger things to worry about.
merry christmas to all!!!!!!!!!!
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:23 AM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Yikes I would never have though of this. I too flush the system out several times thru out the season and never leave the tanks full. We also have a inline filter and haven't had bad water yet. I have never did the bleach thing but might do it this season now that you got me thinking...
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water