Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Leo pulled me over because....
Speeding... 8 25.81%
Lighting issues, broken taillight, burned out light.... 2 6.45%
Expired plates, no tags, can't see plates... 2 6.45%
No reason, just checking on you.... 18 58.06%
MH falling apart, awning fall off, or leaks etc. 2 6.45%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2022, 11:17 PM   #29

An entry above reminded me of something I forgot about.

Back in 1978 - 44 years ago - I and three friends took a camp-van trip from MN to Padre Island, TX for a few weeks of spring break. Coming home through Texas, we were pulled over by immigration-type police. We sat in the ditch for three hours as they completely tore that RV apart, looking for things that four long-haired Northern college boys might have hidden away. They told us they were looking for illegal aliens, but, inside door panels and headliners?

We had nothing illegal. They finished, said goodbye, and left us there to re-assemble everything, a process that took another hour or so. It began pouring as they left us. I think my libertarian bent started that day.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2022, 08:24 AM   #30

Had an old Cali plate on the front of my rv as a decoration (had a whale on it). On the back had my FL plate. LEO noticed and pulled me over. I took it off and we both went on our way…..
#10050 GVWR, #18500 GCWR Smoke that!
gatorb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 09:24 AM   #31
Commercial Member

1967, was stopped by a cop who had never seen inside one. gave him a tour, and he let us dry camp in their parking lot overnight. made a good friend, and visited him many times afterwards.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 09:24 AM   #32

the only time i can remember is a conservation officer pulling us into a fish and game roadside check.the one time i had no fish,all released,and didn't have any firearms that time.i usually bring my 12 gauge for predator protection,but didn't need it where we were.
hemifoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 09:42 AM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F View Post
An entry above reminded me of something I forgot about.

Back in 1978 - 44 years ago - I and three friends took a camp-van trip from MN to Padre Island, TX for a few weeks of spring break. Coming home through Texas, we were pulled over by immigration-type police. We sat in the ditch for three hours as they completely tore that RV apart, looking for things that four long-haired Northern college boys might have hidden away. They told us they were looking for illegal aliens, but, inside door panels and headliners?

We had nothing illegal. They finished, said goodbye, and left us there to re-assemble everything, a process that took another hour or so. It began pouring as they left us. I think my libertarian bent started that day.
Reminded me of the same experience in the early '70's. About 1 am parked in the town square they emptied everything out onto the street. Found nothing and said no parking within the city limits. I requested they stay until everything was re-packed which they did. I parked just the other side of the "City Limit" sign and went back to sleep. They were very cordial and didn't bother me again. In the morning I smoked one of two and continued on my way....

JellyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 01:54 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
Put me in the "never been pulled over with the RV in tow" category as well. I generally drive like a retired old man with the RV, so that may help.

We DID have to make an unexpected customs stop in Arizona even though we did not go to Mexico and had been driving in Arizona for hours. This was January 2017, and CBP were getting a bit overzealous and checking all vehicles within 50 miles or so from the Mexican border. 10 minutes and we were gone. Not many smiley faces there for some reason.
They're not much on jokes either. Wasn't in an RV, but hauling refrigerated produce out of Yuma, and they had a checkpoint set up. The officer asked if I was us citizen, where I was coming from and then wanted my BOL. I answered him, handed over the paperwork, and then did one of the dumbest things - I made a joke about someone trying to hop a ride in the trailer. Next thing I knew, they had me pulled to the side of the road, opened my trailer, and spent a good 30 minutes searching it.
Kenj711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 02:36 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by azpete View Post
1967, was stopped by a cop who had never seen inside one. gave him a tour, and he let us dry camp in their parking lot overnight. made a good friend, and visited him many times afterwards.
Nice!
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 05:10 PM   #36

Back when my husbnd and I were remodeling houses, we usually ran the 2 lane "back roads" everywhere. On a trip going to FL (2005), I got pulled over for one reason only, because I was in an older RV (1987). Seems the small towns were suffering from drug runners buying up older RVs, filling them full of drugs and when the cops tried to pull them over, they ran until they could dump the RV and run on foot. My husband was a few miles behind me pulling his 16 ft cargo trailer. Cop freaked slightly when he pulled up but I told him it was my husband.... while I was wrestling with my rather large, nosy, dog. The dog wanted to meet the cop. After all that was the only reason she thought the guy was there, to pet her. After he realized that I wasn't a drug runner, we chatted a little and parted ways. I had no problem with getting pulled over. I waved at him when we passed thru a week later. That was the only time I got pulled in an RV. But I have read this book a few times.... amazon.com/gp/product/B01DAD218W/
LMHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 02:45 PM   #37

Never stopped (knock on fake wood)

We've never been stopped but have laughed several times as we went through the border patrol checkpoints in south Texas. If you ever wanted to smuggle anything, do it in a 40' motorhome with two white-haired people and a dog inside. They just wave us through.
Old 05-29-2022, 02:55 PM   #38

Excel Owners Club
Jerk

Got pulled over in Texas once. He said his database did not show us being registered. Why his database would show New Mexico registrations, is still a mystery to me. I gave him my registration paperwork (also, the stickers were up to date), and he proceeded to call New Mexico to confirm we were registered. Took a half hour, and he sent us on our way. What a jerk...I should have gotten his badge number and reported him.
laprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 03:28 PM   #39

In 16 years of RV-ing, I have only been pulled over once.

I was traveling at the speed limit eastbound on I-80 in central Pennsylvania pulling our 33 foot Sandpiper travel trailer with our RAM dually diesel when a state trooper lighted me up. I pulled over and he walked up to my driver's window and said "One of your safety chains is dragging and shooting sparks." Without further ado he jumped back into his patrol car and took off. A helpful stop for sure.

In retrospect, I did not realize at the time that because my trailer had a GVWR of 10,700 lbs I should have had a non-commercial Class A license. He never even asked. I pulled it for 10 years without the proper license and it was never an issue.

I tell people that LE rarely pulls over an RV, and if they do, it's for good reason, often to help. You really have to be screwing up in an RV for an officer to stop you for cause.
Grapehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 03:40 PM   #40

Border Patrol, Tyson Sector stopped a 42’ Class A on one of our state highways a month or so back. Had 4 undocumented immigrants under the bed and in the wardrobe. Not only stupid, but what a death trap it could have been.
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 03:44 PM   #41

I was in CA and I was arriving late to my spot (midnight) and the speed limit for RV's and trucks is 55. I was in the fast lane passing some trucks and was running the speed limit which was 75. LEO was setting in the medium under an overpass and I kept going. I didn't see him pull out but about 10 miles down the hwy he pulled me over and the lesser of the 2 tickets was driving in the fast lane vs 20 over my speed limit.
CoMaddMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 03:45 PM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Why wasn't one of the choices......"Law Enforcement stopped to help me". It feels like you're looking for accounts of issues with law enforcement.
Might be wondering the odds because planning a longer than legal rig. Just a maybe.
neoflyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel