Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2021, 02:44 PM   #1

Lesson Learned - Do not rely on USPS

I got a 10 day pay off letter from my bank (Bank of the West), wrote a check and put it in 2 day priority certified mail with the USPS. Today, day 8, it went from Lehigh PA and is in transit to Philadelphia PA. Final destination is Omaha NE. I called BOW, called USAA, and weighed my options. Ended up canceling check and wiring money to BOW to ensure that my May 7th deadline for my pay off amount was met. Got off the phone with USAA this morning around 9, wire sent around 9:30.

I just tried to log in to my BOW account and said my account was invalid. Tried again. Finally put 2 and 2 together and figured maybe my balance was paid off and they disabled my account. So I call BOW and went through the menu process. Finally got to where I could hear my account balance, it was ZERO. Sheer happiness!!!

I will NEVER rely on USPS for important mail again. Although USPS charged me $14, I paid to cancel the check, and paid for the wire transfer, to hear a balance of $0 made that money all worth it.

Now to wait for the title!!!
boomersooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2021, 03:22 PM   #2

Do not use UPS either if they hand it off to USPS. Delays upon delays...
Fast E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 03:34 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Congrats on the zero balance! It sure is a great feeling. Ours was paid off just before end of last year - and the mortgage co. made it clear that to avoid any delays in processing use a wire transfer. They indicated all other methods would likely end up in some amount of residual due to delay in arrival to them. Sounds like a bit of hassle and extra cost to you but well worth it in the end...
Old 05-05-2021, 03:58 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
When we paid off our house, we were required to get the payoff amount then send a check through overnight FedEx for a single envelope. Cost was over $25 IIRC. The post office is great for sending a post card to your grandkids or getting a small package from an online seller. But if they wanted to guarantee a service like Fed Ex, the cost would be as much.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 04:05 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Sent my passport, registered mail back east for renewal. It took 26 days to get there. It only took 14 for the passport to process and be back in my hands.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 05:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTTransplant View Post
When we paid off our house, we were required to get the payoff amount then send a check through overnight FedEx for a single envelope. Cost was over $25 IIRC. The post office is great for sending a post card to your grandkids or getting a small package from an online seller. But if they wanted to guarantee a service like Fed Ex, the cost would be as much.
Ebay purchase and the seller sent the small package via USPS. It went from Oklahoma to Puerto Rico then to Pennsylvania. Only took 23 days for it to arrive USPS apparently has different shipping lanes than most carriers
Tom
MoCoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 05:04 PM   #7

I don't think it matters if you use USPS or UPS or another company, they ALL have the same common denominator that causes things to disappear or to get lost.............People. Ya pays your money and takes your chances!
NorthernDriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 05:56 PM   #8

FedEx overnight if it REALLY needs to get there on time. That's pricey, but you get what you pay for.

Otherwise, I've had issues with all of them, and as a percentage, fewer with USPS. Just a couple weeks ago a UPS package went missing completely. It was supposed to be going to Maumee Ohio from Atlanta. It left Atlanta, but never arrived at Maumee. After two weeks the seller sent another, which arrived fine. Good thing it wasn't urgent though!
Old 05-05-2021, 06:39 PM   #9

When we go away for the winter we sign up for USPS premium mail forwarding service.. about $400 for 4 months.. So they mail our stuff to tucson every wednesday and this last winter we got it tuesday or wednesday of the next week.. 6 to 7 days priority mail.. Now when I order something from Amazon I get it the next day or 2 days later, delivered by USPS.. makes a lot of sense.. NOT.
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 06:50 PM   #10

I ordered an HP computer on Monday and it was delivered this morning (Wednesday) by FedEx. The USPS just cannot compete on service with the private delivery services.
boomersooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 07:10 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It's really sad what has happened to a once great American institution.

My wife sent a check to pay for some very expensive prescription eye drops for her upcoming surgery. The pharmacy said they never received the check and her surgery was days away. We ended up giving a CC number (which I never give to anyone over the phone) and cancelling the check. They still haven't found it a month later.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 07:28 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
We gave up on the USPS last year when a priority mail (very important papers for us) took 9 days to get to a town in the sate we were in but NEVER made to us. Then eventually after 25 days were able to return it to the sender.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 07:44 PM   #13
Fio

USPS is a shining example of government competence and quality! I overnighted via USPS a large package a few years ago to another office that probably receives 100 packages per day. 6 months later (for real!) It was returned undelivered to me. I tracked the package as it went on a tour of the U.S. After seeing what was going on via tracking, I sent a duplicate package overnight via UPS. It was delivered in 8 hours.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:20 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Sent my passport, registered mail back east for renewal. It took 26 days to get there. It only took 14 for the passport to process and be back in my hands.
I sent my passport renewal via USPS on 4/7/21 and it was delivered on 4/12/21. However the Department of State didn't send me acknowledgement of receipt until 5/4/21.

I didn't ask or pay for expedited processing, but it would be nice if they process it within a couple of weeks.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote