Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2015, 10:16 PM   #29

Make the streets plenty wide so I don't have to drive into the site across the street to get into or out of my site.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2015, 10:43 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Bull Run campground had elongated C shaped drives into the sites. The hookups were on the road side, the awning faced the woods behind. I really liked it. Drive in, drive out.
L
Leslie Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:46 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
I'm not saying your idea isn't great and I have stayed at several that were like yours/ ours. But the price is unrealistic in most parts of the country. Cost of the extra land and a profit is needed, but I want free so I'm way out there.

LEN
Old 08-11-2015, 08:17 AM   #32

Cost of campground construction.

Wanna loan me about half a mil to build it?

Seriously though, I wonder what a ballpark price would be on a CG like this, with 50 to 100 sites? Anybody have any idea?

Approx. 5-6 years ago the National Association of Campground Owners published an article in which they stated their study revealed it cost an average of $12,000 per site for an RV park's infrastructure, not including the land.
That would mean 50 site: $600,000, or 100 sites: $1,200,000. (plus land)
Not cheap.

Also, I am a little confused by this problem of backing in from the drivers' side.
Most of the parks I have stayed in have 2-way streets and the registration office will direct you to your site in the correct direction to back in from drivers's side. Am I missing something?
arktvlr
arktvlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:41 AM   #33
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoc View Post
Joe, I know you said no fire pits but, what about a fireplace in the pavilion? One in the center of it would be great.

Jerry

Yep, that would definitely be a "must have"!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:06 AM   #34
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by arktvlr View Post

Seriously though, I wonder what a ballpark price would be on a CG like this, with 50 to 100 sites? Anybody have any idea?

Approx. 5-6 years ago the National Association of Campground Owners published an article in which they stated their study revealed it cost an average of $12,000 per site for an RV park's infrastructure, not including the land.
Not cheap.

Also, I am a little confused by this problem of backing in from the drivers' side.
Most of the parks I have stayed in have 2-way streets and the registration office will direct you to your site in the correct direction to back in from drivers's side. Am I missing something?
arktvlr

I've seen parks laid out like the drawing below. No matter which way you're driving, you can't back into the sites on the right from the driver's side.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:18 AM   #35

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
My peeve is where a campsite pad could have been easily graded to be level, it is unusable to most RV units. Yes, if gravel needs to be used, stop using that powdery stuff that when dry blows all over the place. The pea sized stuff the PA. State Parks uses works great. Have it used around the fire ring too. Some places use a dirt based gravel that when it is wet turns to mud.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:24 AM   #36
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
My peeve is where a campsite pad could have been easily graded to be level, it is unusable to most RV units. Yes, if gravel needs to be used, stop using that powdery stuff that when dry blows all over the place. The pea sized stuff the PA. State Parks uses works great. Have it used around the fire ring too. Some places use a dirt based gravel that when it is wet turns to mud.

I agree Jim! I found a grey limestone for my drive at home that has absolutely no dust! I'm surprised that someone hasn't asked why I would not use concrete or asphalt for the roads and pads. I hate it because it retains so much heat! Of course, that would not be a problem in some parts of the country but it sure is around here!
Old 08-11-2015, 09:37 AM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Great ideas, I don't understand how parks that do have trees, which I like, don't keep the trimmed off the roadway or site and at a height that they don't hit the rigs.

I have had the same thought about building an RV Park, too many Metro Areas do NOT have a RV Park. I think about Larger Metro Communities that would be a great place to visit, whether for Medical Reasons, Vacation, Sporting, Concerts, etc and no close proximity RV park.

Why wouldn't a City do some incentive for a blighted area near a major interstate and Health Care, Stadiums/Arena's, Entertainment Complexes within a 10 minute drive or close to public transportation? I wonder if it would work?

Great topic in my opinion you started!
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:39 AM   #38

I think prices are based on demand in that location and expenses. To level all spots perfectly and provide drainage is not an easy task at any site in the world. Don't forget discounts are the owner just giving profit away. Why does everyone want a discount? Why not give a discount to young couples under 25 and no one else. Why does this World think old people need a discount when they have 150 k MH 's?
elkski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:40 AM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by arktvlr View Post

Not cheap.

arktvlr
Our research is very consistent with this. Using a portion of land we own here in the Hill Country of Texas, the development costs and infrastructure required for a nice park doing much of the site work ourselves (not a 5star luxury resort) would easily cost $10k per site. We assumed a 30% occupancy (100 sites) year round with an average rate of $40 per nite. Some quick math indicates $438k gross income generated in a 12 month period. My working days are over (hopefully) so free labor/management isn't an option. Our very preliminary figures resulted in annual expenses (payroll, taxes, insurance, utilities, facility upkeep, etc.) to be in the $300k range.... and that's probably conservative. Note: these figures do not include any debt service or loan payments! My uneducated opinion is that 30% annual occupancy for this area is probably optimistic. I did not seek the rates of park owners in this general area as I shelved the idea.

The current and future park owners have my respect and utmost appreciation for what they undertake and the service they provide.
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:42 AM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
In downtown Milwaukee, they have a RV park at the fairgrounds. Its a great location, close to everything. Its basically in a parking lot, but FHU and not cramped.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:44 AM   #41

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Joe,

No swimming pool ??? what kind of place are you running here ??
wstrace3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:57 AM   #42

Need to include an adequate area for checking in. Been to places where one rig blocks the entrance. Overflow/guest parking. No obstructions, especially trees at any corner apex. No grand entrances with gates, planters, guard houses, which narrow the roadway to the point of making getting in to difficult. Keep the roadways wide and simple.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote