Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2012, 10:05 AM   #29

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by newrvlady View Post
Attachment 20960

On my house battery I noticed that one cable was almost all the way disconnected from the clamp thing. I barely touched this cable and it disconnected. Does anyone know if I need to buy a new cable and clamp. I went to autozone and they did not have any clamps that big. I don't even know what cable that is. It is a big fat one with lots of wires inside. They are all green now because it must have got really corroded.

!!!

This is a FIRE HAZARD! You need to have that fixed asap.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2012, 10:16 AM   #30

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Don't scare her Ramblin,

Just leave all the battery disconnect switches turned off and don't plug in the RV until it's fixed.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:20 AM   #31

Is it possible for this lady to find someone in her area thoroughly knowledgeable of all systems on a motor home to physically come to her location and provide instructions on the specifics in the areas where she needs help??

That would seem to be a more logical approach to her issues rather than we on the forum trying to provide assistance without being there.

Just a thought

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:13 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVJ58 View Post
Is it possible for this lady to find someone in her area thoroughly knowledgeable of all systems on a motor home to physically come to her location and provide instructions on the specifics in the areas where she needs help??

That would seem to be a more logical approach to her issues rather than we on the forum trying to provide assistance without being there.

Just a thought
I do have an rv sales/parts/service place about four blocks away. So I have been in there a few times. But it does get pricey so I am trying to do what I can alone. They got me a knew clamp for the battery connection today. I just have to either clean off the wires because they have all that green junk on them or cut them off. Unless I can use wire cutters that is something I might have to hire out. Don't want to get injured.
newrvlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:29 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
Congratulations on finding the bad battery cable!

The answer is yes to your question, but you might not need a battery charger once you get the broken cable repaired.

One other thing, wondering how old the chassis battery is. You mentioned it goes dead in a few days. If the battery is bad and has an internal short, it can run itself dead. Even if there is no electrical being used.

Most auto parts stores do free battery testing, but you would have to get the RV or the battery to them.
I don't think this cable is why my jacks had a problem because this in the house battery not the chassis battery. I am pretty sure the jacks run off the chassis battery. I did check the voltage on my chassis battery and it sais 12.5. Checked it with my volt meters and autozone checked it. And now that I have had the mh plugged in, not right now because of the cable, for a few weeks and have turned off the main and house battery switch, my mh has actually stayed charged
Old 05-10-2012, 03:31 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
Don't scare her Ramblin,

Just leave all the battery disconnect switches turned off and don't plug in the RV until it's fixed.
That is what I am doing. Hopefully, I can trace that tonight and see how long it is. I am afraid it could be the generator line so It could be loooooong.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:40 PM   #35

Quote:
I do have an rv sales/parts/service place about four blocks away. So I have been in there a few times. But it does get pricey so I am trying to do what I can alone. They got me a knew clamp for the battery connection today. I just have to either clean off the wires because they have all that green junk on them or cut them off. Unless I can use wire cutters that is something I might have to hire out. Don't want to get injured.

I certainly understand, it's just I was concerned for you getting your problems resolved safely without incident.

Hopefully you'll soon get them resolved.

Best of luck....

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:21 PM   #36

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Getting back to the original question about solar. It would help considerably with charging your house batteries and maintaining the chassis battery. There are two companies that I would recomend that you research. I have done business with both and found them to be very helpful.
They have complete kits with full instructions for the DIY person.
www.amsolar.com
www.windsun.com This company has been in the business since 1979.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:26 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVJ58 View Post
I certainly understand, it's just I was concerned for you getting your problems resolved safely without incident.

Hopefully you'll soon get them resolved.

Best of luck....
I got the connection fixed tonight. I will check the voltage tomorrow.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:03 PM   #38

Workhorse Chassis Owner
glad u got that part fixed,just be carefull around those battery posts/wires. don't know where you are located,but there is probaly irv2 member close by that would be glad to help you out
genesimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:16 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesimmons View Post
glad u got that part fixed,just be carefull around those battery posts/wires. don't know where you are located,but there is probaly irv2 member close by that would be glad to help you out
I live in Kaysville utah which is about 25 minutes north of Salt lake if anyone is out there.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:22 AM   #40

Battery update

Funny how this was supposed to be a discussion on solar power and how it sort of reverted back to my battery problems. Sorry about that.

Anyhow here a my update from this morning. I plugged in the shore power and tried to test the house batteries. I put the neg. tester on the left battery on the neg. connection and the pos. tester on the positive on the right battery. It just jumps around like crazy from .5 to 8 v and everywhere in between. It is very temperamental it seems. If I don't touch the tester in the spot it likes it will not read anything. And if I switch them around and test the pos. connection on the left battery with the neg. connection from the right battery it will not take a reading. I thought the two batteries should be getting 12v in between eachother and 13 plus if plugged it. So 8 is obviously not good. Hmmmm. Is this because I just had plugged in when doing the testing? Maybe I will need to take the mh home to someone to put all new cables on the batteries.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:27 AM   #41

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Try wire brushing the top of the battery terminals before using the volt meter on it.

You need a good connection for it to read properly.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:32 AM   #42

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Funny how this was supposed to be a discussion on solar power and how it sort of reverted back to my battery problems. Sorry about that.
No problem. A heathy battery system is prerequisite to an awesome solar system. Without good batteries, solar panels are worthless
Quote:
Anyhow here a my update from this morning. I plugged in the shore power and tried to test the house batteries. I put the neg. tester on the left battery on the neg. connection and the pos. tester on the positive on the right battery. It just jumps around like crazy from .5 to 8 v and everywhere in between. It is very temperamental it seems. If I don't touch the tester in the spot it likes it will not read anything. And if I switch them around and test the pos. connection on the left battery with the neg. connection from the right battery it will not take a reading. I thought the two batteries should be getting 12v in between eachother and 13 plus if plugged it. So 8 is obviously not good. Hmmmm. Is this because I just had plugged in when doing the testing? Maybe I will need to take the mh home to someone to put all new cables on the batteries.
Might be a bad battery (or two). If you put the tester on each individual battery, you should read around 6.5 volts. Testing as you describe above should read between 12-13 volts. If your charger is on, then 14+ volts.

I wired a battery backwards in my rig (see thread in my signature) and had crazy readings like you describe. They should be connected like this:

<--Chassis ground--[- Batt1 +]<->[- Batt2 +]--12V-->

So NEGATIVE from battery 1 is connected to your coach's frame, and the POSITIVE from battery 1 is connected directly to the NEGATIVE of battery 2. The POSITIVE from battery 2 goes to your coach's 12V systems.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar