Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2021, 08:48 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Letter re the state of the RV Industry

Interesting and informative letter received today in my inbox from RV Wholesalers. I thought I would post it as a heads up to those of you who are looking at purchasing a new build. The supply chain disruption looks like it's going to continue for the time being:

We wanted to send a quick note to our RVW Family letting you know what is currently happening in the RV industry. It is turning into an interesting time both in our Nation and the RV Industry. This letter is long, but very important. Please take time to read it in its entirety.

The last year has been very challenging however, RV Wholesalers stands strong in our commitment to take care of our customers and make sure you have the best experience possible. With that being said, we have seen delays in build times from every manufacturer in our industry. We will continue to do our best to keep you informed on when your RV will be completed but our suppliers are giving us a moving target. At the time of your purchase your sales consultant would have given you the current build time that the factory supplied. Unfortunately, these build times have changed, and, in some instances, they have changed a great deal over the last year. There are many things outside of our and the factories control.

High unemployment, and extra $300 a week in unemployment benefits have ravaged the labor force in America. When we travel through the great state of Ohio, we see hiring signs in almost every single store front. Many businesses are forced to shut down at least one day a week due to shortages. The lack of work force has affected every industry, including the RV industry.

Recently, we learned the insulation industry was not building R7 insulation for at least 3 months. PVC Piping was in short supply. Glue used in the laminating process is in short supply. One factory received a shipment of glue just in time to keep running. Some had to shut down and wait.

As our industry supply chain attempts to correct itself, we will do our best to keep our customerís RVs at the front of the line so that we can get you camping as soon as possible. Even though we keep our customers the focus of our suppliers we will most likely see delays, it is almost an absolute at this point. Most of our customers are going to wait longer than we were originally told by the factory and we do not know how much longer. At the same time a few have seen their RVs built sooner than we were told.

Manufacturers for the most part have stopped giving us build dates because it has been nearly impossible for their timelines to be accurate. Every time the factory gives a date and things are delayed, customers and dealers are phoning them very upset, often yelling and accusing them of lying. We are experiencing the same thing. We do not seek one sale; we seek a relationship with our family! If you request an update on your unit there may not be an update to give at that time. As soon as we know that your unit is being built, we will notify you and start making plans for scheduling. We will be as honest and transparent as we can giving you the information we know when we know it. Please be patient, please stick with us and we will always stick with you!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2021, 09:52 AM   #2

We are having a new home built. We received a letter with basically the same information from our builder.

Good luck!
Old 06-08-2021, 10:29 AM   #3

Thank you

That helps to explain long build times but does not address the ongoing and (seemingly) worsening issues with quality.

There are plenty of used units on the market. No need to wait months for something new.
Old 06-08-2021, 11:41 AM   #4

Interesting they blame unemployment benefits but no mention of Covid or lack of supply chain from non US countries.
Old 06-08-2021, 11:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgolden View Post
Interesting they blame unemployment benefits but no mention of Covid or lack of supply chain from non US countries.
Interestly they blame unemployment benefits but make no mention of lousy wages or lousy working conditions.

My thinking has always been that no matter what the industry, if you can't hire people your not paying enough for the work/effort/conditions.

It is pretty simple.
Old 06-08-2021, 11:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgolden View Post
I think most of their customers probably already know that this all began with covid-19. I believe that was in the news?
Old 06-08-2021, 11:52 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler2162 View Post
Interestly they blame unemployment benefits but make no mention of lousy wages or lousy working conditions.

My thinking has always been that no matter what the industry, if you can't hire people your not paying enough for the work/effort/conditions.

It is pretty simple.
Old 06-08-2021, 12:20 PM   #8

Quote:

It is pretty simple.
Exactly. Unemployment These people have been working hard, dirty jobs with long hours and little appreciation (for low pay.) The labor market shifted during covid and they went and found new jobs with better working conditions and/or better pay and/or more appreciation. Ohio unemployment is at the lowest level it has been since Sept of 2001 (source). It's not the extra $300/month.

There's a wage correction happening right now and it's no surprise that an employer sending out an email blaming his industry woes on what effectively reads as him blaming "lazy bum employees" might have a problem finding people that have any interest in working for him.
Old 06-08-2021, 12:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by propchef View Post
Thank you

That helps to explain long build times but does not address the ongoing and (seemingly) worsening issues with quality.

There are plenty of used units on the market. No need to wait months for something new.
Actually there's NOT plenty of used units on the market. The ones that are out there are VERY overpriced, whether it's private or dealerships.

I have a spreadsheet that goes back two years and the exact same make and model rigs that were for sale then are now anywhere from $15K to $40K MORE.

Sigh.... Why oh WHY! didn't I pull the trigger back then?!!! Well, partly because I wasn't sure what we needed/wanted...now I do and they are pretty much out of my reach.

What do I want? Here's the list:
Monaco Windsor/Dynasty/Executive/Signature
Holiday Rambler Imperial/Specter/Navigator

KING BED, Four Slides, Full Windshield, Side radiator, Tag axle, 7' ceilings.

All for the reasonable price of $80K or so. And we are a cash buyer, but that doesn't mean much these days. Dealerships prefer that you use financing.

I know that in order to get our rig in the 80's we'll have to go down to below 2006, but I don't want our ONLY living quarters to have low ceilings so I am looking for 2006. And even if we find one that somewhat matches our needs/wants it's gone before we can even get there to look at it.

Okay..I'm done. Sorry for the rant...just a tough time to be buying right now. We're 'almost' at the point of buying a lower level rig with slides just to get out of our 32' no slide rig. Been living in it for two years now and we are so tired of playing roller derby every time we pass each other when moving around. It used to be a ballet. :-)
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
Old 06-08-2021, 12:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMoot View Post
Actually there's NOT plenty of used units on the market. The ones that are out there are VERY overpriced, whether it's private or dealerships.
Keep looking on this site. We sold ours through them and it was a very good experience dealing with them.

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used-r...&startIndex=24
Old 06-08-2021, 03:46 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:

It is pretty simple.
In addition, there are lots of people (mostly women, but not exclusively) who canít go back to work due to the lack of affordable child care and being responsible for in-home schooling. Also there are a lot of jobs that laid off wholesale, and a lot of people found other things to do.
Old 06-08-2021, 04:10 PM   #12

I was worried when we had our 2021 Phaeton built last year that it would be a Covid coach and debated if I should wait a year. I'm glad I held firm. There is no way I would have thought the RV world would be in this situation one year later. It has to be very tough on RV manufacturers to delay shipping RV's due to product shortages. Quality has to suffer when you keep touching the same coach multiple times.
Old 06-08-2021, 10:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fffrank View Post
Exactly. Unemployment These people have been working hard, dirty jobs with long hours and little appreciation (for low pay.) The labor market shifted during covid and they went and found new jobs with better working conditions and/or better pay and/or more appreciation. Ohio unemployment is at the lowest level it has been since Sept of 2001 (source). It's not the extra $300/month.

There's a wage correction happening right now and it's no surprise that an employer sending out an email blaming his industry woes on what effectively reads as him blaming "lazy bum employees" might have a problem finding people that have any interest in working for him.
I did a lot of leading over the years and your people are your gold. Without them your just another dude who has too much to do and nothing and nobody to do it with. I have seen lots of people who get to be the top dog and they think they are special.

Be nice to the people you step on as your climbing up the ladder. You will meet them again on the way down.

Anyone who ever talks badly of his team in general or his employees is in general not fit to lead that team or those people.
Old 06-08-2021, 11:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Keep looking on this site. We sold ours through them and it was a very good experience dealing with them.

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used-r...&startIndex=24

Thanks! Yes I look at their site, RVT, RVTRADER, RV Universe, even Craigslist (I use SearchTempest as it searches ALL the CL sites). Sigh...itís just slim pickens.
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
Closed Thread