Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2020, 12:44 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

We never worried about deploying slides without leveling, as long as the terrain was within personal comfort limits. Pretty much the same when we had an absorption fridge, though we had an ARP Fridge Defend that made sure the fridge was ok with that. With the compressor fridge, no worries at all.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2020, 01:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I agree with what others have suggested. We try to never disconnect when stopping overnight, unless the site is too short for both MH and toad.

There is no problem with leveling without disconnecting.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
Just a quick clarification from my view point. When we stop for the night and don't disconnect the Honda, we have to place the Honda in Park and remove the key. If we don't the battery will be dead by morning.

If the Honda is in park, and I raise the rear of the coach a lot, it can pull on the tow bar enough to scoot the Honda front tires forwards a smidgeon. Worse is when I lower the coach in the AM and the Honda is still in park, the sudden drop changes the tow bar angle and it can push the Honda backwards. Not much, but enough that I can see I don't want to do that.

Sooooo, if we are at a place where we don't want to disconnect, I press down on the tow bar handles and have the Boss pull forward just enough to place the tow bar in a slack position. That way when raising or lowering the coach it won't place the bar in a strain.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 01:14 PM   #17
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
For those types of stops, 99.5% of the time we don't disconnect, we don't level & we don't deploy slides. For that other .5%, we've extended only the bedroom slide & only when we've been reasonably level & able to snag a curb spot on the edge of the lot where the slide goes over the grass area & not into the aisleway. Most retail parking lots are fairly level, so there's no need to do any of those things. And, unlike the RV absorption fridges, a residential fridge, as you have, doesn't depend on level to operate.

Don't forget to spend a few $$ with that business as a THANK YOU for the courtesy they've extended by allowing you to overnight in their lot.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 04:58 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
When we are overnighting and have no need for the toad, I just leave it connected. The toad is free moving, so it will move up and down, back and forth with the RV.

On our coach, the slides come out before we level. So I'll put out the slides and if it's level enough for just overnight, leave the jacks up.
We have an absorption refrigerator so we use the comfortable to live and sleep in criteria when dry camping overnight. I do not deploy leveling jacks in parking lots, unseemly iMO.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 04:06 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by US1 View Post
And keep the shower drain on the low
True. Did not think of that. Thank you.
MiamiDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 05:27 AM   #20
IC2

My rule of thumb plus also recommended by both Dometic and Norcold is 3 degrees. I would expect that a residential fridge would need to be in that range as well to operate and cool correctly. Anything other then that is downright uncomfortable for people activities, including sleep. A chaep round bubble level placed in the freezer with the bubble anywhere in the middle or straddling the inner most line is usually good. And slides don't need any more level then that to work either.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 05:59 AM   #21
WDW

Level or Not Level

All good advice and:

If you are not disconnecting (and we don’t either) pull the umbilical electrical cable, lock your pins, run the toad and make certain it’s locked over night. Before departing, check your hook up, install cable, do a light check and supplemental brake test.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 02:42 PM   #22

OP: It helps to answer questions when we know what kind of RV you have. Most of us have created a 'Signature' that automatically appears on every post you make.

This might help to answer your question if you have to level or not to bring the slides out.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:51 AM   #23
Commercial Member

when we are in states that have a major tornado history, we do not disconnect. most campgrounds are level enough that you dont need it, or use the jacks to level if you do. we don't hookup to water or elect, and no sewer connections.
any water fill or dumping is done when we arrive, and all hoses and cords are stored.
we have left and driven out of the path of storms many times.
we monitor the weather with my computer, and a weather radio. make a decision early on, whether to stay or go. and just retract the jacks, and drive away.
i usually drive south out of the storm path.
call me paranoid, or silly, but in the eight years i full timed, i have never been caught by a tornado, or major hail storm. no damage, or personal danger in over a million miles the last 23 years.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 10:50 AM   #24

We don't have to be level to put the slides out, but... the engine needs t o be running, transmission in park, and the parking brake set to operate the jacks. The engine must be off to operate the slides. Its easier to get hoses etc. out of the lockers before the slides go out.
The natural order of things for us is to park, set the jacks, hook up if we are in a campground, and then run the slides out.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote