Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2023, 11:49 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Levelling jacks slip

When I have my leveling jacks down on my Class A DP, the rear driver side jack will slip, I am guessing maybe a half inch or so. I can feel the slipping and hear it happening, which often can be 10 times a day. From hearing and feeling the slip, I can sense that it is coming from the rear left corner.
Has this happened to anyone else here? What does it take to fix it
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2023, 03:20 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
depending on the surface you are on and the temperature swings, thats pretty normal.. Best solution is to place a pad under the leveling jacks such as a 2x12 cut to fit or some such as this.. https://outriggerpads.com/product/rv...d-12-x-12-x-1/
HAM - K5OJT - Yaesu 991A
GUS2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 05:10 AM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
What coach, model and year do you have? And leveling system?
Someone with similar coach or leveling system is probably best in suggestions than the rest of us taking shots in the dark.
Old 03-26-2023, 07:34 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Agree more info might be helpful.

Jack slipping is not normal for me. I have not experienced that. Certainly not when parked on a solid surface like concrete.
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 09:57 AM   #5

A loud popping or grunting noise can happen. Owners say it can be quite startling. Suggested to use/add Cat Anti-stiction additive. Smallest size is 1/2 gal... a couple brands of fork oil seem to work as well. a
A search for Cat additive will bring up results.
EDIT
Replacing a quart with Maxima or Torco racing fork oil was suggested. Took me a minute Torco changed their bottle logo.
If just plain leaking back there are rebuild O ring kits for the jack solenoids. Make sure emergency release valve is tightly closed.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 12:24 PM   #6

IMO, there should not be any shifting of the levelers. We have SnapPads and use THIS on any up padding, under levelers.
AllegroD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 12:41 PM   #7

I think rv vagabond is talking about the jack itself slipping back up and not the base slipping on the ground. My bigfoot jacks take turns doing this and I have to push the down button again. I might try some of that fork oil.

Ken..................

91 Metro Convertible 91 Suzuki Sidekick and 92 Suzuki Swift GT toads
givemeaboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 01:08 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

It should not be slipping if working as designed. Nor should lack of a pad or solid surface cause a sudden noise or jerk; the jack foot would almost surely just slowly sink into the ground.

This sort of complaint isn't all that rare, though. I suggest you start by actually measuring for slippage. Put a strip of tape on the sidewall near each jack and measure the distance to the ground. Next time you hear/feel it, go measure each jack again to determine which jack is slipping and how far. Don't be surprised if there is little or no measured movement. A jack and came a huge bang and shudder a lot, but actually move little. Or even none.

Actual downward slippage in one or more jacks means a valve is leaking fluid and needs to be replaced. Sometimes, however, it is a mounting bracket shifting. And I had one coach where the noise and shudder was actually the fuel tank slipping in it sling. The coach didn't move downward at all, but it felt like it was falling off the jacks each time. After a bit I figured out that this happened when the rear end was jacked higher than the front to get back to level. The fix was to the tank brackets, not the jacks.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 02:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Vagabond View Post
When I have my leveling jacks down on my Class A DP, the rear driver side jack will slip, I am guessing maybe a half inch or so. I can feel the slipping and hear it happening, which often can be 10 times a day. From hearing and feeling the slip, I can sense that it is coming from the rear left corner.

Has this happened to anyone else here? What does it take to fix it

If you have hydraulic leveler I’d shouldn’t pop unless jack is breaking off.
Check to make sure that jack is secure.
If your parked on gravel you might hear popping from the gravel.
Old 03-26-2023, 04:20 PM   #10

HWH brand hydraulic jacks have the mounting brackets at (I think) an 8° outward angle for stability when extended. This means after contacting the ground/pavement, they must slide a bit while extending further. Nest time you're underneath your MH take measurements from MH frame to jack cylinder a top and bottom.

It is addressed on the HWH FAQ page.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 07:49 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
If the jack is retracting after it is extended it might be the valve itself on the jack that is doing it.
I have a RVA system and each valve has a T handle at the top, these are use for emergency retract if the pump/electric fail. You unscrew the T handle and it lets the jacks retract.

The T handle could have some contamination in the seat letting a little fluid bleed back to tank. Cure for his it to extend jack open the valve a little which clears the contamination out of the valve.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks