Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2019, 03:36 PM   #1

Angry License Suspension, Don't Understand, Help Please

Need help with this dilemma. I am a resident of California and have a California Drivers License. In September of 2018 I went to LaMesa RV in Fort Meyers, Fl. The unit was pre-owned and listed at a very attractive price. I drove the RV back to California. I financed this through my Credit Union.

LaMesa RV took care of the paperwork to get temporary Florida plates while the paper work was being processed for California Registration. The temporary Florida registration and plates were valid for 30 days. My insurance company provided verification of insurance to LaMesa RV so they could get the temporary registration. For an unknown reason, the temporary plates needed to be renewed 3 times through Florida. LaMesa RV Port St. Lucie took care of the Florida DMV each time.

I received a notice for clarification from Florida DMV, which I complied with in the appropriate time frame. The beginning of this month I received another request with a threat of suspension. I notified LaMesa RV and they contacted Florida DMV who told them that everything was OK and that the item was closed. I did not get anything from LaMesa RV in writing, I accepted LaMesa RV's verbal statement, silly me. The verbal confirmation took place 02/06/2019.

Yesterday, 02/16/2019, I received a letter dated 02/11/19 that was a "Notice Of Suspension."

I have an email sent to LaMesa RV Tag and Title guy, and a call left on his answering machine.

Has anyone else experienced this dilemma? Is not LaMesa RV liable to this?
rfkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2019, 03:46 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! WOW, that's really wild! Hope you get it cleared up soon. Just noticed that you are kinda new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello!

Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 03:48 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
title

I live in Missouri bought a motorhome in Kansas from a dearer the coach came from Mississippi was purchased from a bank there. like few days being 3month. before getting title work.Each state had to clear title.Turn in a headache waiting
oh no is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 03:50 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
License (Driver's) or Registration suspension?

ELeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 04:19 PM   #5

What did your attorney tell you? Oh! You haven't hired one ? You are nearly 6 months into this mess. The trail goes colder everyday and the attorney's fee will go up the more complicated it gets.
Old 02-17-2019, 04:25 PM   #6

I'll assume it is a vehicle license suspension, because Florida has no jurisdiction to suspend a California Drivers license other than stuff like reckless driving and DUI, and if I had to guess in those cases FL confiscates the license and Cali suspends it under reciprocal agreements.

Here's the deal - when you came back to Cali you had I believe 30 days to surrender the FL plates and register it in Cali. Doesn't matter what deal you work with Florida. The clock starts when you cross the state line. They'll hit you up for the registration fees and sales tax, and now you'll be hit with a late fee.

Just happened to me over a $2500 box trailer I bought to move back, only NC wouldn't issue plates because I had a cali license and cali wouldn't issue plates until they inspected the trailer, so I just drove it across country with no plates. Then I put it in the back yard and forgot about it, so I'm going through this hassle right now.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 04:33 PM   #7

I have purchased many vehicles from one state to be registered in another state, including one from La Mesa RV in Phoenix. Usually the state where the sale is taking place will give you a 30 or 60 day temporary registration to give you time to bring the vehicle to your home state and registure it there. I once purchased a 5th wheel in TX and returned to CA my home at the time. I was traveling and it took me over the 60 days to get home so the dealership in TX got me an extension of another 60 days. As soon as I was back in CA, about 90 days total, I went to DMV, who verified the VIN number and gave me my plates. The dealer had already sent CA DMV the sales tax and registration fees. You purchased this RV in Sept of 2018. It has been 5 months. You did not pay sales tax in FL. Florida has suspended the temporary registration. You need to get it registered in CA. It is not La Mesa RV fault.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 04:38 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Florida cannot suspend your license. They can only request that California suspend it. Check your status with California DMV. However, you are missing some critical information as to what the sequence of events were, and what Florida was looking for. Was it over the tags? Insurance? (Florida often screws up over insurance. You switch insurance companies here, and if the new one comes in to them before the old one is cancelled, they think your insurance is cancelled.) Did you get your California plates, and now have California insurance?
2015 Itasca Sunova 30A, Brazel Ultra RV Tune, Safe-T-Plus, Sumo Springs on front, CHF, Hellwig Endlinks, SuperSteer track (Panhard) bar, Roadmaster rear sway bar, Koni Shocks, 900 w. solar, Battle Born House batteries, Roadmaster Falcon 2, Ford Escape PHEV and DW.
waterman480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:18 PM   #9

License suspension, don't understand,help please

Order of Events:
09/28/2018 RV purchased, LaMesa provided with proof of insurance (my residency is California), LaMesa puts temp plates on RV so I can drive back to California. Temp plate good for 30 days, 10/28/18. LaMesa also has Jupiter Tag and Title handling DMV paper work. Jupiter use tag and title company in Rancho Cordova, Ca work with Cal DMV. Florida sales tax paid.

10/22/2018 Contacted LaMesa advised them the I have not rec'd Cal DMV stuff yet and temp tags about to expire. 10/26/2018 rec'd temp Fla tags from LaMesa. The advise Jupiter still working on California DMV.

11/16/2018 Contacted LaMesa, "Where is my Cal DMV Stuff", Fla Temp Plate will expire 11/24/2018. Need Temp Plate before Thanksgiving. Temp Fla Plate rec'd 11/22/2018.

12/07/2018 finally rec'd California Plates and Registration.

LaMesa RV is negligent in the manner that they handled DMV and follow up. I rec'd "ORDER OF SUSPENSION" 02/16/2019 and emailed LaMesa RV 02/16/2019 and phoned LaMesa Tag Person and left message 02/16/2019 requesting explanation for the shoddy way they handled DMV part of transaction.

Because the RV was financed through Credit Union, Credit Union required dealer to handle DMV to insure they were on title.

I have a very good paper trail on my part, I need to establish paper trail for what dealer did. I will attempt to establish 02/18/2019.

I have had California insurance since 09/28/2018. California is my residence. Florida was looking for proof of insurance, that was provided to them when LaMesa submitted request for temp plates. It was a form that my insurance company provided to LaMesa on 09/28/2018.
rfkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:34 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum.

You are joining a good group of folks here with good info to share. So if you finally go the rig registered in Calif in December why are you still dealing with Florida? Am i missing something? Good luck

Enjoy the adventure!
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:42 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickNC View Post
What did your attorney tell you? Oh! You haven't hired one ? You are nearly 6 months into this mess. The trail goes colder everyday and the attorney's fee will go up the more complicated it gets.

Why does everyone think you have to get a lawyer?
Old 02-17-2019, 06:55 PM   #12

We are not seeing the whole picture. Is your "order of suspension" for the temp tags?

As long as you have your Cal vehicle registration and you live in Cal. FL can go pound sand!
How about mailing a copy of your Cal vehicle registration w/case # back to the FL DMV?
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:55 PM   #13

It looks to me to be a case of the Florida notification being automatically sent after the issue has been settled. You have your Ca. Plates and resistration so Florida has no reason or need to issue a temporary reg. to you. La Mesa stated that Florida confirmed the issue of a temp reg is closed, as it would be once you were issued Ca. plates and reg. My guess is that someone at Fl. DMV did not close your file and you were sent an automated mailing.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 07:01 PM   #14

Why guess? Call the Florida DMV. I'm sure there was contact information in the letter.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suspension