Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2022, 07:24 AM   #1

LiFePO4 Batteries

I have been considering an upgrade to LiPho batteries. Does anyone have experience with this brand? The price seems very reasonable.

https://www.amperetime.com/collections

Gene & Margaret
Gene Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2022, 07:55 AM   #2

Lithium batteries

There are YouTube’s on this brand. Will Prowse did one that I recall.
Travato John
jl.kauai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 08:20 AM   #3

These are very popular low price batteries.
Make sure to get the specs you need like low and high temp cutoff and possibly internal heater.
Don't trust the battery spec sheet! Look for a YouTube teardown of the battery you want to ensure it really has those features.

Many advertise high and low temp cutoff and don't have any low temp sensor installed when reviewed on YouTube.
wolfgolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 09:57 AM   #4

For lower-priced batteries, you might also consider SOK.
darrellr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 11:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgolden View Post
These are very popular low price batteries.
Make sure to get the specs you need like low and high temp cutoff and possibly internal heater.
Don't trust the battery spec sheet! Look for a YouTube teardown of the battery you want to ensure it really has those features.

Many advertise high and low temp cutoff and don't have any low temp sensor installed when reviewed on YouTube.
The bolded seems backwards. Why would I trust a you tube video over the manufacturer's spec sheet?

I've never messed with lithium for use in an RV but I have read quite a few threads on here that had different cautions. Things like regular chargers aren't usually great for lithium, some hard to charge in cold temperatures, alternator burn out, and that they may not be that great for chassis engine starting. OP, make sure to address these and other things that lithium batteries may be particular with.
Old 12-23-2022, 11:33 AM   #6

Recommend you choose a brand that is assembled in the USA, and has a customer service dept that will be happy to answer questions, and provide warranty service. If you buy a brand shipped from outside the US, you’re pretty much on your own. If one of those imports fails under warranty, good luck getting it replaced. JMO, buying USA is worth paying a little more. I bought a US brand that I’m very happy with, and it was one of the lowest $/amphr at the time, but they have since raised their prices.
Old 12-23-2022, 11:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
The bolded seems backwards. Why would I trust a you tube video over the manufacturer's spec sheet?

I've never messed with lithium for use in an RV but I have read quite a few threads on here that had different cautions. Things like regular chargers aren't usually great for lithium, some hard to charge in cold temperatures, alternator burn out, and that they may not be that great for chassis engine starting. OP, make sure to address these and other things that lithium batteries may be particular with.
YouTube teardown and hardware analysis often indicates cheaper batteries often advertise low temp protection when it simply doesn't exist.

The teardown videos test all reported features and also do actual capacity tests to confirm the advertising specs.
wolfgolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 12:37 PM   #8

I do have direct experience with this brand. I purchased four self heating 100ah Ampertime lifepo4 batteries in early Oct 2022, and have had problems with them. Just last week I had them removed and replaced with four Lion Energy lifepo4. I have been in contact with Ampertime to help troubleshoot the issues. I have not been in touch with them for a couple weeks now. My next step is to attempt a warranty refund, or replacement.

I found the reviews to be overall quite positive and even a teardown video demonstrated that they seems to use some quality components especially the type of cells used which is why I chose them as a less expensive alternative.

It's important to note that I haven't found anyone who had problems like I did. Attached is a link to my original post.

In short the batteries worked great as long as they were charged while not connected to a load, and they were great at powering things when not connected to a charger. They could not handle being charged when connected to even small loads. Some times they worked, but often they'd act like they were trying to shut down, resetting, three or four times, eventually causing my inverter to drop off line on low voltage protection. Disconnect any charging, and they'd handle 100 amp load of my coffee maker without a problem. It was very weird

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f56/stra...es-599389.html
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 09:45 AM   #9

Quote:

Why would you trust a posting in iRV2?

Caution is prudent when choosing a LiFePO4 battery. Many brands have been found wanting. The market is changing fast. No telling what you are going to find.

There are a couple of reputable u Tube publishers you can trust. The videos show tear down of new batteries. Chinese brands are often the worst for publishing specs that are out and out false. US brands tend to be more expensive, but heads and tails better quality.

A manufacture that provides system design review is likely to be one of the best. There is one manufacture that won't even sell to you unless you submit a system design plan. They are the best and the most expensive. They guaranty their batteries for years.

I recommend you study this article for deeper understanding of marine and RV use of lithium batteries. This is especially true for battery banks of more than 100 amp hours. Consequences are higher for larger banks.

Lithium Battery Systems
https://marinehowto.com/drop-in-life...ated-consumer/
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 11:59 AM   #10

I have a 100Ah Ampere Time battery. Its been installed for a year and no issues. I replaced the converter/charger, added a RedArc DC-DC charger, and a Thornwave power monitor shunt. I do not have an inverter so the loads are relatively low.
No internal heater in the battery.
Paul_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 01:09 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I went with 4 of these 100 AH LiFe04 batteries, purchased and installed in November. Currently with shipping $ 258 each, I paid $ 278 each in November.

I load tested the four I purchased and all 4 delivered 1.3 Kilowatts driving my test load of an inverter and AC load. Two of the four did 1.4 Kilowatts. Rating was 1.2 KW.

I have not found any teardown but took a risk because this battery has a BMS with temperature sensor and the BMS is configured to provide temperature protection. It had reviews of others who had bought and load tested with a good load test, and as I noted my own load test and 1 month in-service experience has been good.

This battery has a internal Battery Management System (BMS) with a temperature sensor and I have been able to personally confirm that the BMS is using the temperature sensor to prevent the battery from taking a charge below its safe minimum charging temperature.

This feature allows me to leave my Solar Charge Controller turned on to maintain the batteries and not have to worry about the LiFe04 batteries getting damaged from charging at too cold a temperature while I have my RV stored outside in very cold temperatures.

I went with 4 in parallel to be able to deliver enough current to the Onan Generator starter, to my 3000 W Inverter, and to aid in starting the coach using the battery boost switch (if need be). Generally each battery has it's output current limited to 100 Amps by its internal BMS, even if its cells are rated 200 or 300 Amp-hours. Also over-sized (4 instead of 3) because LiFe04 is similar to Lead-acid in that they will deliver many more charge-discharge cycles if you don't completely discharge them before recharging.

This battery also has no internal heater.

Besides replacing the batteries, I modified the Battery Isolation Manager Control Module Logic to never connect chassis to coach with IGN in ON position, replaced the converter-charger with a LiFe04 compatible one, installed a Renogy 40A DC-DC charger to charge from chassis alternator safely, and changed the Solar Charge Controller settings to LiFe04 compatible.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 09:25 AM   #12

Quote:

They're chinese batteries and the name is just slapped on a private label manufacturer, and they have no idea whats inside and will advertise them as being better than they are. I wouldn't touch such a product, but if you are, a teardown video is going to be very important over a copy/pasted spec sheet.
RV_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 11:18 AM   #13

I see everyone's point about not trusting spec sheets. I'm into flashlights and see all kinds of ridiculous specs/claims on sites like Amazon. 10k lumens for $19,,, yeah right. But I did want to believe that battery companies and sellers would be more on the up and up with their published specs. Seems I wrong with that assumption.

As far as believing every posting on irV2, nope. This site is very helpful for the most part but I've read plenty of things on here that were totally off base. Shoot, I would never purposely try to mislead anyone but I know I've posted some out of whack things (the above about battery spec sheets for example).
Old 12-25-2022, 11:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrnmrtom View Post
I do have direct experience with this brand. I purchased four self heating 100ah Ampertime lifepo4 batteries in early Oct 2022, and have had problems with them. Just last week I had them removed and replaced with four Lion Energy lifepo4. I have been in contact with Ampertime to help troubleshoot the issues. I have not been in touch with them for a couple weeks now. My next step is to attempt a warranty refund, or replacement.

I found the reviews to be overall quite positive and even a teardown video demonstrated that they seems to use some quality components especially the type of cells used which is why I chose them as a less expensive alternative.

It's important to note that I haven't found anyone who had problems like I did. Attached is a link to my original post.

In short the batteries worked great as long as they were charged while not connected to a load, and they were great at powering things when not connected to a charger. They could not handle being charged when connected to even small loads. Some times they worked, but often they'd act like they were trying to shut down, resetting, three or four times, eventually causing my inverter to drop off line on low voltage protection. Disconnect any charging, and they'd handle 100 amp load of my coffee maker without a problem. It was very weird

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f56/stra...es-599389.html
I did see your problem post but did not realize they were the Amper Time batteries. The Amper Time 300 ah batteries are on my short list for they have really good reviews all over the place. I’m wondering if your problems were from a bad batch or an overall design problem. Your problems were the first I’ve read with issues such as yours but no one else seems to have the same issue. Very curious.
BayRunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, lifepo4