Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2017, 06:42 PM   #1

Lippert 15001-D Articulating Bed Not Working

I have an issue with our articulating bed in the coach. I'm hoping someone may have a solution you would be willing to share. The controller for the bed is a Lippert 15001-D which is located in the bed support compartment under the bed.

The bed articulates for a couple of reasons; comfort, allow the bed to be stowed for travel, etc. The main purpose of the bed tilt feature is for stowing the bed for travel to allow the bedroom slide to come in when the apposing full wall slide is in so the bed doesn't interfere with the cabinets on the full wall side. Without the head of the bed being brought to the upright position the bedroom slide can't come in thus the coach can't be moved.

Unfortunately this morning the bed tilt ceased to function at all. It won't go up or down when the tilt switch is pushed to raise or lower the bed. I've performed trouble shooting on the systems and we have power to the controller and motor of the bed so that's not an issue with breakers and such.

I've attempted to use the trouble shooting guidelines from the Lippert site but they are, IHMO, mostly worthless. I've had this issue once before just after I purchased our coach back in January 2017 and took the coach to the manufacturing service center where they replaced the Lippert 15001 controller with a new one. Everything has been working great until this morning and now I too can't get the articulating bed to move without playing with the controller under the bed, which is a temporary solution. Of course it's a royal pain to have to raise and lower the bed by opening up the bed's lower cavity to access the controller every time we need to modify it, ie. raise the head of the bed so we can slide in the bedroom slide to move the coach.

Any help would be appreciated. I'll be calling Monaco in the morning but thought I might get a solution faster via this forum. ;-)

Thank you in advance for your guidance!
JWBranning is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2017, 06:50 PM   #2

More Info Please

When you say "Playing with the controller under the bed" do you mean wiggling a wire on a connector?

Does the controller unplug from the wall under the bed?

Sudsy
Old 12-19-2017, 07:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
When you say "Playing with the controller under the bed" do you mean wiggling a wire on a connector?

Does the controller unplug from the wall under the bed?

Sudsy
Hi Sudsy and thank you for your response.

When I say I was playing with the controller I meant I was following the troubleshooting instructions from the Lippert site which dealt with recalibrating the bed lift. (I've attached the instructions from the Lippert site.) I followed the instructions exactly as Lippert directed but it made no difference to the condition of the bed lift. The red and green lights continue to flash. I even tried removing power and reconnecting the power as well as removing and reattaching the controller wires going to the lifting motor to see if that might reset it with no joy.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Schwintek_Troubleshooting_Instructions.pdf (288.7 KB, 578 views)
Old 12-19-2017, 10:51 AM   #4

OK so the Switch Assy is mounted on a wall? The bed controller is mounted under the bed?

What I am getting at is the connectors on the Bed Controller that I can see in the attached file. There may be another one if you take the switch assy off of the wall and look behind it. Maybe try looking for corrosion in these areas. Clean contacts with alcohol or if they are circuit board "edge connectors" (I see one on Bed Controller) use a pencil eraser and clean the board contacts.

I guess there is no "emergency manual retraction" feature. If not that is crazy that they put something inn coach that does what this thing does and prevents you from moving the coach. And you say it is a 2017 unit?

Sudsy
Old 03-31-2018, 06:29 PM   #5

Sorry for the delay in responding. I did contact Lippert tech support and they provided me with a way to override the controller and move the bed to the stored position and then bring it back down when needed to use the bed when setting up at the next campground.

Each time I needed to move the bed to and from the stored position I had to lift the bed and repeatedly press the programming button until the green light was flashing slowly. Then it would allow me me move the bed a couple of inches at a time. I had to keep doing this over and over until the bed was stowed or extended. This normally took about 5 mins of work. When stowing the bed it was the worst since I had to drop the bottom of the bed down which covered up the controller just to move the back of the bed a few inches until it finally was in the stowed position. This was no only a pain in the butt but also a real workout. Someone with a back problem might have had a major problem with this. I did this each time we moved for about 6 weeks. Fortunately we were in one location for three weeks during January rather than moving every couple of days.

So fast forward to last week, 03/26/18, when I arrived at my scheduled appointment for warranty work at REV RV Service Center in Decatur, IN. They brought my coach in and started looking at the issues I had reported with the bed and found another wire had broken on the motor control board. This broken wire was the green wire, which the technician told me was the wire which told the bed lift controller how many revolutions the motor had turned. Because of this second wire breaking the controller couldn’t be programmed. So REV RV replaced the entire bed lift mechanism which included a replacement motor. Once they connected everything they were again able to program the controller. From what I can tell, Lippert & REV RV, never thought about putting any strain relief for the wiring harnesses thus it placed undue stress on the soldered connections where the wires connect to the motor. Since REV RV techs didn’t do anything for a strain relief when they replaced the assembly, I will be correcting this shortly now that I’m home so it doesn’t happen again.

Thank you for all your help with this issue. I wanted to make sure I closed the loop on this problem in case anyone else runs into this issue in the future.
Old 04-01-2018, 07:21 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have the same system. I did reroute the wires so they would move without getting caught in anything and as you said strain relief.
I've also added more screws to everything to provide better anchoring. One of the parts came loose.
I'm experiencing non functioning up but found I don't always put in down all the way. A sensor is not triggered. Down further then it will go up.
I've spent maybe 4 hours so far getting everything working better.
This is just 1 of 155 items I've made better so far.

Tags
15001-d controller, lippert