Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2021, 08:44 AM   #1

Lippert Auto Level Blows Breaker

Looking for some advice. My Lippert Auto Level mode on my 2018 310G/K keeps blowing my 80 AMP breaker after about 5-7 seconds. I was on shore power at the time. Batteries indicated 12.8-13.2V. A Lippert tech said that I may have a bad pump or a bad breaker. I called a very nice mobile tech and he suggested I try to level manually, which worked fine. The slides also work without any issues. I'm guessing that the breaker is bad, since the pump and solenoid work on manual mode. Am I missing something like another fuse/breaker, etc? I'd try to see what the AMP draw is, but I'm not that savvy in electrical issues. New breakers ordered.
szky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2021, 08:59 AM   #2

Since it uses the same pump to level in manual mode as in automatic, the pump clearly isn't the problem. I would think that the pump gets power through the same circuit breaker in manual as in auto, then it probably isn't the circuit breaker either. You could easily verify that power comes from it when in manual by opening the 80a breaker and see if manual works. If not, reset it and check again. That pretty much eliminates the breaker as the cause. The problem must be something that is in the auto level system that is not used when manually leveling. It could be either in the controls or possibly the level sensing system.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 10:25 AM   #3

Thank you for your reply. Manual mode does not work when the breaker was popped. I reset the breaker and manual mode worked. I'll check again with Lippert and see what they say about something in the auto level system that is not used when manually leveling.
Old 06-16-2021, 06:33 PM   #4

Had a mobile tech out who was the phone with Lippert Tech Support for over an hour. It looks like one of the solenoid valves needs to be replaced. No one has one around here. I can still get the jacks up/down using the manual mode. Heading home tomorrow.
Old 06-17-2021, 04:46 AM   #5

Something with the leveling controler is causing a voltage drop. Could be a bad connection or a fault in the controler itself. Low voltage causes the unit to draw more amps, hence the tripped breaker.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 09:17 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

It may be simply that Auto mode works the pump and valves harder, since it typically fiddles a lot with each jack to zero in on "level". Auto tends to get the jacks near the ground and then adjust each in brief squirts until it gets the whole coach right. When you use Manual mode and apply human judgement to the process, you are likely working the system less overall.

A breaker trips on the heat generated by the electrical load. If the amp load is up near the breaker limit anyway, prolonged use of the pump & valves can cause a heat build-up that eventually trips. And some breakers trip more quickly than others.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 04:07 PM   #7

Couple of questions - when would the cb trip? When extending or retraction or both? Also, what was the fix?

I may have a similar situation.

Joe
Joevz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 05:47 PM   #8

Sorry for the delay. The CB would pop when starting the Auto-Level process after the tow vehicle was unhooked.

As far as the cause, it is unknown. I took it to Blue Dog RV in Kalispel, MT. It took them a few weeks for them to get to my rig. When they checked the Auto-Level it worked. They could not replicate the CB popping. When I took the rig home, the Auto-Level worked. On the second stop of our current trip, the CB popped. At our current stop (#4 so far), the Auto-Level worked. I'm going to pay closer attention to what I do and other factors such as temperature, terrain and anything else that may notice.
Old 09-16-2021, 08:49 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Every time that breaker trips it weakens here's the LCI tech bulletin.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 80 amp breaker lippert0058-1.pdf (52.0 KB, 3 views)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breaker, lippert