Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2021, 08:09 PM   #1

Lippert awning pulling away from rig

Please click on the attached picture… from the left side of my awning just above the door… It is being pulled away from the rig for the first 12-18 inches. you can see the three screws that were holding it to the side of my rig (2021 Keystone Cougar 5th wheel)… If you also look at the rolled up awning you can see some puckering of the rolled up awning (which I think is the problem)… I’ve only used it a couple times…

Has anyone seen this problem?

It looks like I could repair it by removing the pulled screws and reinserting them a half inch away from their original spot - But that wouldn’t solve what I think is the underlying problem of the awning fabric being so taught on that side because of the puckering that it will most likely just pull out again?

I’m still under warranty but I hear they would just say we can get you in 6-8 weeks and I’m traveling for the rest of the spring and summer…
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D4261859-E9DD-4853-8F5F-9B3CA9AC1F29.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	331418  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2021, 08:23 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Your awning is not pulling away, the drip/awning rail has come loose from the coach. You need to extend the awning a couple of feet and then roll the awning back manually, taking the pressure off of the awning material. You can usually insert a phillips screwdriver into the end of the awning, holding the roller in place.

Once you get the pressure off, add new/more screws to the rail.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 09:31 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I saw something like that after I had an awning installed at Camping World. They had the install sheet from Rexall but missed the backing plate by a good inch. That was my last visit, I wouldn't even take it back for rework. It's been a long time!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 11:05 AM   #4

You have a very serious warranty issue! Either the awning was not properly installed or the construction of your trailer was not done correctly. That is very bad.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 11:32 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would go ahead with your "plan a".

It's fixable. Installers probably oversized the pilot hole and called it good.

Caulk/seal all the screws and holes.

Done.

About the material: puckering is due to uneven rollup when retracting the awning. Fix is to open it all the way. Remove 2 screws in the awning rail and move the material to center it again. Roll it up and out a few times to check.

Or bring it here...I can squeeze you into the schedule next month
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 12:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
I would go ahead with your "plan a".

Or bring it here...I can squeeze you into the schedule next month
Where is here!...
Old 06-09-2021, 12:14 PM   #7

Does anyone know a link to adjusting the taughness of the Lippert awning?
Old 06-09-2021, 03:29 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Most likely not a tightness issue.

The resistance is created by the large internal spring inside the aluminum tube.
It is wound at the factory to 14 turns or so I believe.

Like a rollup garage door spring. Dangerous to mess with unless you know what you are doing.

Start with a google search and there are many youtube videos showing the procedure.

IA is a long way from here!
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 01:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
Most likely not a tightness issue.

The resistance is created by the large internal spring inside the aluminum tube.
It is wound at the factory to 14 turns or so I believe.

Like a rollup garage door spring. Dangerous to mess with unless you know what you are doing.

Start with a google search and there are many youtube videos showing the procedure.

IA is a long way from here!
I’m in the Tetons!…

Yeah I don’t really want to screw around with adjusting the awning as I’m more likely to do more harm than good…

I will start with replacing the screws and caulk and adding a few more screws for good measure and see if that fixes the issue…
Old 06-12-2021, 08:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRum View Post
I will start with replacing the screws and caulk and adding a few more screws for good measure and see if that fixes the issue…
Be very careful when you add more screws as there may be designated places for awning mounting, which is common to many RV makes. If you put a screw into the wrong place you might make things a lot worse.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, lippert