Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2010, 04:01 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Question Liquid Roof?

Our daughter and son-in-law are looking into purchasing Liquid Roof by EPDM Coatings. Has anyone used this product? They own a 1987 class C which has suffered some leaking in it's past, and they'd like to put a rubber roof or coating over the WHOLE roof to seal all the cracks, etc. Any advice? Any other products they should be looking at?
Born2RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2010, 06:29 AM   #2

Thumbs up Pro Guards Liquid Roof

We recently coated the EPDM fabric roof of our 38' 98 DSDP with Pro Guards Liquid Roof. It is easy to apply. It goes on like very thick paint. We thoroughly cleaned the roof, mixed in the activator, poured it right out of the can onto the roof and spread it with a long handle short knap 9" roller. The warmer the wx, the faster it cures. There is more than enough work time.

We bought it online from advancedrubbercoatings.com. for roughly $100/gal, no shipping, no tax. The website said it would require 7 gals to coat our roof, so that is how much we bought. It only took 3 1/2 gals, so we put on two coats.

We hope this helps
lonestarace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:25 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Consider Dicor Elastomeric Roof Coat and Kool Seal RV Roof Coat
Both are much less expensive than Liquid Roof.

Dicor is the manufacturer of the EPDM material used in your original roof, so they ought to know a thing or two about them. And Kool Seal has been in the rubber roof coating business since long before RVs even had rubber roofs.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:52 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Born2RV,
Once the roof is coated and dried, consider using EternaBond on every roof seam. Once you do this, you'll be good to go for many years. Go to RV Leak Repair Tapes & Sealants | EternaBond and read about the product. If you use it, consider laying a chalk line on all long runs. One get only one chance to place this product.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:15 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
own a 1987 class C which has suffered some leaking in it's past,
...at least some of these replies are assuming the rig has an original rubber/EPDM roof. Is that the case, or is the original roof fiberglass, aluminum, or something else?
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:53 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Roamer [Gary] View Post
Consider Dicor Elastomeric Roof Coat and Kool Seal RV Roof Coat
Both are much less expensive than Liquid Roof.

Dicor is the manufacturer of the EPDM material used in your original roof, so they ought to know a thing or two about them. And Kool Seal has been in the rubber roof coating business since long before RVs even had rubber roofs.
But they say in the verbage that it's "not recommended for EPDM Roof" Or am I missing something
tedward1555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:48 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
It's a 1987 class C - aluminum roof, not rubber. But they'd like to PUT a rubber roof on it, that's why they were considering liquid roof. Can you still use the Dicor?
Born2RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:33 PM   #8
csp

Monaco Owners Club
I coated the roof on my Monaco Dynasty with the rubber coating. I do not remember what brand. I bought it at a local RV dealer for $489.00 for 5 gallons. I cleaned the roof very good and applied with a roller (use a good roller that will not come apart). I brushed it around vents, ACs, etc. I did it because of a few tiny tiny little lines that looked like hairline cracks in the fiberglass. The good thing about the stuff I used is what you do not use you freeze and use when you need to touch up. The only problem I had was it bubbled in a few places around things on the roof and sometime while drying the bubbles popped and created little crater looking holes. I just reapplied over the craters a few weeks after it dried. Rain seems to be a lot quieter too.
Chris
Old 05-15-2010, 05:43 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
But they say in the verbage that it's "not recommended for EPDM Roof"
You are right about the Dicor product and EPDM roofs - my apologies. The Kool Seal does not have that restriction.

Another product that is recommended for EPDM roofs is Elixir Plas-T-Cote
Roof Coating from Elixir
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:00 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Heartland RV Club
I have enclosed my car trailer for our move to Texas. I am going to use the sta kool edpm from tractor supply to coat the new plywood constructed roof. Trying it as an experiment to see how it works. It costs about $79 for 5 gallons. Gonna' see how well it does because I'm thinking of using it on my MH after I re- construct the roof.
meworrynot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:22 PM   #11

orchardhill

if the roof is fiberglass or alum and there is not serious damage, a inexpensive coating is PTM paint to metal, Sherman Williams etal carries it. about $40 a gallon and goes on like thick paint. roll or brush.
Orchardhill is offline   Reply With Quote