Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2018, 05:09 AM   #29
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
They can camp with me but not loaning it to anyone. I have let relatives from out of town stay in it in the yard, while they were in town and while we were in the house, for a few days instead of them getting a hotel room.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2018, 05:30 AM   #30

Not only did my dead beat son in law want to borrow my bus, he wanted me to pay for the fuel !!!
gbstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 05:32 AM   #31

Would not hesitate to loan my trailer to my Son. He is a car tech and has been backing trailers since he was twelve. He backs trailers in where its appears to be impossible.
ijon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 05:41 AM   #32

No.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:52 AM   #33

My father used to loan me his motorhome once a year for an event we attended. When I went to pick it up there was always a list of things that needed repair. Some of the items on the list were noted as things that really didn’t concern him, but he knew I would want to fix them before I used it. He did not hesitate to include items like a new tire because the one on the right inside rear has been leaking air for the last 3 months. I don’t believe he ever hesitated to loan it to me.
JJTyrrells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 05:53 AM   #34

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What my dw would say is "if you're so attached to it that you can't share it with your family, God will probably take it away from you." I've lent my motorhome to my kids many times. No problems. Makes me think of the first time I let my newly married son-in-law take my truck to Yellowstone. As they drove away I said "I must really love that kid..there he goes with my daughter, and my truck!"
Concord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 09:25 AM   #35

I'd give 'em a kidney before I'd loan them my RV. Mostly I want to avoid the "telephone support" phone calls: "we can't get the manual awning to retract" or "we left the water running, how do we dump the tanks?"

I have friends that want to take my C to barely developed property in Arkansas. I said "only if I can go with you." I'll take a tent, too, and anyone needs some privacy there are more options
Old 12-10-2018, 09:44 AM   #36

Luckily we never had kids so I will never face that problem. But did have a brother that wanted to visit us and spend the night. I told him about the 6, 4, 2 rules.

I told him rules 2 states we only sleep two and no overnight guests.

Coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 04:05 PM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpiland View Post
Oh Hell no. Never.
Same here. It's not about the personal stuff, it's that they know nothing about the electrical, water, AC power, 12 volt, dumping, leveling, air, etc systems.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 04:11 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
Same here. It's not about the personal stuff, it's that they know nothing about the electrical, water, AC power, 12 volt, dumping, leveling, air, etc systems.
As the same as many of the folks on here......
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 06:40 PM   #39

I'd let my brothers or sister use it, but not my 40 yo kids.
padlin00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 06:52 PM   #40

I loaned our new TT to my mother for a week of camping and had it all set up for her to open the door and use. When I came back a week later to pick up the TT, nothing was packed away and she was cooking fish and garlic on the new stove. The camper stunk for weeks, the wife was mad and I learned a lesson. NO is a powerful word.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 06:53 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijon View Post
Would not hesitate to loan my trailer to my Son. He is a car tech and has been backing trailers since he was twelve. He backs trailers in where its appears to be impossible.
Its not backing it up that causes the trouble. Its not know how any of the systems work. Watched some rookies in a rental flood the whole camper with sewage water from the black tank. They hooked up the water hose to the tank flush, then left for town to get groceries. The guy next to them shut off the water when he saw it coming out under the door. This is merely one example of the many ways rookies can wreck your camper.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:00 PM   #42

We had Coachmen gassers that we allowed our son in law and daughter to use on a trip from Michigan to New England where his family lives. I trusted him with it and by all accounts things seemed to go well.

Now we own a bigger rig and I seriously doubt we would lend it out to anyone. Besides, being full timers, we'd have no place to live if we let someone take it.
Chadrock is offline   Reply With Quote