Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2018, 04:30 PM   #15

I keep spare keys hidden in the exact box pictured above but both of the last two MHs I have owned have had broken latches that a spare key wouldn't unlock. The first was a gas coach with a drivers door that I could unlock and get in. The current DP has no second door so when I park I habitually unlock the drivers side sliding window while leveling. It has saved me once in the past year. A traveling companion had a latch break and no windows were unlocked so we debated whether to call mobile service or break a window. He decided to call mobile service since we knew the latch was broken and needed replaced anyway. It ended up costing about $400 before he had a working door latch again.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2018, 04:36 PM   #16

well it should be either tempered(like we put in houses if window is less than 18" from floor) or safety glass. safety glass is two pieces with laminate between like car windshields. but many side windows are tempered. when I was contractor and did jobs in the big malls we many times had to remove the store front windows. and they are so heavy. So we always threw hammer at them and swept up glass, easy to put in trash, as it goes to very small pcs.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:37 PM   #17

Been locked out once. Just fortunate that my wife was only an hr away with her set. Now I keep a spare key duct taped to the sewage hose.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:44 PM   #18

I got locked out once. Luckily we had one of the windows unlocked. Hopefully you dont discover one that was unlocked after breaking in. Pretty sure the dog did it. He was inside at the time.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryshirley View Post
Well at the end of the day the insurance company said that we broke the window and there is no coverage so I get to put out 1000.00, guess it could be worse. Thanks everyone have fun RVN.
A new glass should be less than $100. 15 minutes to replace.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:08 PM   #20

I’m glad I’m not the only one who did this. I called a locksmith, cost $75. My husband hid a key after that.
tundranurse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 06:35 PM   #21

If it’s the door window RV Upgrades has a replacement clear window with a blind you can put up or down. I installed one and we love it. Can see who is outside if you get a knock on the door. Less than or around $100
cdinatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 01:15 PM   #22

[ATTACH]226950
Installed these on my basement doors, now we just hang a key inside compartment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0244.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	226950  
mikeh2obury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 02:27 PM   #23

If I have the door open and try to lock the latch the door will not close. It has to be unlocked to close and you need the key to lock it after the door is closed. They should all be that way.
I have several extra door keys and make sure at least a couple others in my clan have one. I also have one hidden away. I never carry any key other than the door key.
Lynn
Old 12-02-2018, 12:47 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
...They should all be that way...
I agree.
Unfortunately, my MH door CAN be locked by hand then closed, then you cannot open the door without a key.

My DW has locked herself out 1 time (so far).
Old 12-02-2018, 03:21 AM   #25

I have a key hidden on the coach and had to use it once. I suppose if I were in the OP's position - locked out without a key, I would call a locksmith. That seems like the cheaper option with a lot less aggravation.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 05:51 AM   #26

Our door, when leaving, can only be locked from the outside by key. Thus... it’s impossible to lock yourself out.
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 06:52 AM   #27

Since there are limited number of RV keys combinations most dealers have masters that can get inside. If the key code is visible on the outside, that simplifies the issue. That assume though that you are near a dealer or have access to your vehicle and can get to a dealer. Hidden key is our method. Could a thief find it, yes but a thief could and would break a window faster than hunting a key.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 08:15 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdinatl View Post
If it’s the door window RV Upgrades has a replacement clear window with a blind you can put up or down. I installed one and we love it. Can see who is outside if you get a knock on the door. Less than or around $100
Agreed. This is a inexpensive solution and a nice upgrade as well.
MrMom is offline   Reply With Quote